PDA

View Full Version : Brand new G750JZ-XS72 why are both hard drives partitioned ??? can I change that?

Brute347
02-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Hello everyone,

I've looked around in here and I cannot find the answers to my questions so I'm asking directly.

I just bought an asus rog g750jz-xs72, which comes with 1 TB mechanical hard drive, and 2 SSD 256 GIG drives- The question is, why do they come partitioned?

The 1 TB hard drive has 2 halves of over 400 GIGS each, and the SSD drives come as 2 seperate drives of over 200 GIGS each, why is this?

And can I delete the partition on the 1 TB so I can have one full drive, and can I join the 2, 256GIG SSD Drives so I can have one 512 gig SSD drive???

Thank you guys for your time and answers :)

themeonster
02-15-2015, 08:56 PM
I am not sure why asus partitions the drives but getting rid of them is quite simple.

First make sure that the partitions that you want to delete are empty. Assuming the normal partitioning of OS (C) and Data (D) for the SSDs and Data1 (E) and Data2 (F) for the HDD, you will want to empty D and F. Then right click on the windows button and click "Disk Management". From there you should be able to right click on the offending partitions and delete them (delete volume). After that, right click on the remaining partition on each disk and extend them. That should do it.

While Windows has safeguards against accidental deletion of data, please make sure that you are certain that you are deleting what you want to and not something important like your OS.

Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

GottiBoi55
02-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Hello everyone,

I've looked around in here and I cannot find the answers to my questions so I'm asking directly.

I just bought an asus rog g750jz-xs72, which comes with 1 TB mechanical hard drive, and 2 SSD 256 GIG drives- The question is, why do they come partitioned?

The 1 TB hard drive has 2 halves of over 400 GIGS each, and the SSD drives come as 2 seperate drives of over 200 GIGS each, why is this?

And can I delete the partition on the 1 TB so I can have one full drive, and can I join the 2, 256GIG SSD Drives so I can have one 512 gig SSD drive???

Thank you guys for your time and answers :)

Hi Brute347, and welcome to the ROG Forum.

Yes, you can expand both the 1TB HDD drive, and the 2 SSD/256GB drives in RAID0.
(This procedure will not effect the RAIDO configuration for the OS/Drive C, RAID0 will still be in effect)
(Save any DATA on the drives you plan to delete first)
1. Right click on the Windows icon (bottom left)
2. Next click on Disk Management
3. Right click on Drive F, then select "delete Volume".
4. Right click on Drive E, then select "Extend Volume".
5. Next follow the prompts. (just use the default setting that is automatically set by Windows)
6. Next follow step 3 for Drive D.
7. Next follow steps 4 & 5 for drive C.

These steps should get you what you are looking for my friend.
One drive in RAID0 for the OS, and one drive for Data Storage.
Come back, and let us know how it goes.
Good luck my friend.

Brute347
02-16-2015, 07:17 AM
Hey guys, Thank you very much I appreciate the step by step instructions, I definitely need them. I will do this mid week as I am away for work and don't want to mess with any of that at the moment in case there is an error. I will definitely come back and post my results...

Also, does any one know if there is an upside for them configuring them this way?

GottiBoi55
02-17-2015, 02:33 AM
Hey guys, Thank you very much I appreciate the step by step instructions, I definitely need them. I will do this mid week as I am away for work and don't want to mess with any of that at the moment in case there is an error. I will definitely come back and post my results...

Also, does any one know if there is an upside for them configuring them this way?

Nope, can't think of any upside to why Asus does so many partitions on there drives.
Just search the forum, and you will see many who are displeased with the over abundance of partitions Asus creates on there systems.