PDA

View Full Version : G751JY - Replace M2 with 2.5" - Caddy?

sHORTYWZ
02-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Long story short - I purchased the JY with the 256GB M2 SSD and 1TB regular HD... I've replaced the M2 with a 1TB standard SSD using the caddy from the 1TB regular HD.

I'd like to put the regular HD back into the right slot, but need another regular caddy - is there any way I can get another one of these somehow, or is there a generic caddy I can get somewhere that would work? I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks.

hmscott
02-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Long story short - I purchased the JY with the 256GB M2 SSD and 1TB regular HD... I've replaced the M2 with a 1TB standard SSD using the caddy from the 1TB regular HD.

I'd like to put the regular HD back into the right slot, but need another regular caddy - is there any way I can get another one of these somehow, or is there a generic caddy I can get somewhere that would work? I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks.

sHORTYWZ, you can plug in both the M.2 and the 2.5" SSD in the same Bay without the caddy/platform - install both bare, and use small strips of strong tape to hold them in place - don't use large tape coverage or you will hold in the heat generated by the SSD's. That will free up the caddy for use in the 2nd bay.

Check out the original post here, and the follow up posts where he removed the high tape coverage with strips of tape - I wish he would have posted pictures of the reduced tape coverage - and reduced temps - maybe you can post some photo's of your taping?

Asus G751 coming with Maxwell GTX 980M and GTX 970M
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g751-coming-with-maxwell-gtx-980m-and-gtx-970m.761783/page-98#post-9912464

This way you can install 3 storage devices in the 2 Bays.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

sHORTYWZ
02-16-2015, 04:01 AM
sHORTYWZ, you can plug in both the M.2 and the 2.5" SSD in the same Bay without the caddy/platform - install both bare, and use small strips of strong tape to hold them in place - don't use large tape coverage or you will hold in the heat generated by the SSD's. That will free up the caddy for use in the 2nd bay.

Check out the original post here, and the follow up posts where he removed the high tape coverage with strips of tape - I wish he would have posted pictures of the reduced tape coverage - and reduced temps - maybe you can post some photo's of your taping?

Asus G751 coming with Maxwell GTX 980M and GTX 970M
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g751-coming-with-maxwell-gtx-980m-and-gtx-970m.761783/page-98#post-9912464

This way you can install 3 storage devices in the 2 Bays.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

Interesting idea... never even thought to keep both of them in there. Maybe I'll try some foam on the side of the 2.5" instead of tape. I'll experiment with a couple things this week and report back.

hmscott
02-16-2015, 04:42 AM
Interesting idea... never even thought to keep both of them in there. Maybe I'll try some foam on the side of the 2.5" instead of tape. I'll experiment with a couple things this week and report back.

sHORTYWZ, there isn't much air circulation through those Bays, so keeping the surface areas of the heat generating chips on those SSD's as much as possible will keep the temps low. The image above generated 50c temps for both SSD's, when he pulled the tape off and only used strips of tape over the board areas - not covering the chips - the temps went down to 36c, which is about what I get with the M.2 SATA SSD's in my G750JH - that is about as cool as can be expected. Foam might hold in heat...

The main advantage, is that Bay 1 has the PCIE port and the only SATA 3 port. The 2nd Bay has a SATA II, and the Optical Bay has a SATA 1.5/2 - slightly better than SATA 1.5, but less than SATA II speeds.

There is a new 206 BIOS for the G751JY (not the JT, so far) - and the reason for the firmware upgrade is listed as "Add second PCIE SSD DID/VID." which makes no sense, but I thought it might be good to check to see if the 2nd Bay is now connecting at SATA III speed's - as the hardware should be able to support it. It has been a surprise since the original release of the G751 that the 2nd Bay was only running at SATA II speeds. If someone tests this, please post results :)

Please let us know how it works for you, and please post some photo's :)

ELZZZORRO
02-18-2015, 05:52 PM
2nd Bay is still Sata II (2) with bios 206.

MarkL.
03-18-2015, 02:52 AM
2nd Bay is still Sata II (2) with bios 206.

Ugg I know.... why can't they just allow us to disable the DVD drive or the un-used bay in BIOS to free up PCIe lanes... sheesh.

Ramzay
03-18-2015, 06:55 PM
I've also been trying to find an extra 2.5" caddy, so I can have 2x 2.5" SATA drives installed. Such a hassle. The ASUS webstore doesn't seem to carry any for this model.

Just poor customer service across the board.

joshindaphils
03-19-2015, 11:26 PM
Search the board there is a guy looking for the M.2 bracket, ya'll might be able to arrange a swap.