PDA

View Full Version : G751JT - Where to buy, and what to do once received?

A Deviant Hero
02-15-2015, 11:07 PM
First part EDIT: Bought G751JT-CH71 from Amazon. Will be here Wednesday.

Next, I wanted to know what I should do once I get the laptop, as far as a fresh install, and how that is done. I am new to doing things like this. I have no experience formatting a computers operating system or whatever would need done.

Thanks for any advice, I just want to get the computer set up properly from the start. Hopefully wont have any problems with the one that I receive also...

Swarmy
02-16-2015, 04:34 AM
The SSD that G751's come with I believe are actually m.2, so they are a tad faster then sata 3 and you will get the mounting bracket. However the primary HDD slot will accept either sata3 or m.2, so its up to you.

I bought mine from newegg, because Amazon charges tax and newegg does not for my state.

Once you get it I would upgrade Bios to fix the left side usb ports, download the updated sound drivers, and let nvidia update the video drivers. Then I would probably install antivirus/malware and make a backup of the operating system. My apologies if I missed anything, hopefully others will fill in whatever I missed.

A Deviant Hero
02-16-2015, 06:19 AM
Alright, I ordered the JT from Amazon. It will be here on Wednesday. I just got the base $1500 one without the SSD. Is there anything special that I will need to do to mount a SSD if it does not come with brackets? Also, could anyone chime in on a recommended SSD? Is about 250gb all I should need? What should I be looking for as far as specs or models of SSD? I don't know anything about solid state drives as far as what makes one better than the other.

I am thinking I should order a SSD now and get it coming to me so if I get lucky and don't have to RMA my laptop I can install it and get everything setup properly from the get go.

A Deviant Hero
02-16-2015, 06:26 AM
I see:
PNY Optima SSD7SC240GOPT-RB 2.5" 240GB SATA III Synchronous-Mode Internal Solid for $90 free shipping from newegg

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) for $115 free shipping from Amazon

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7TE250BW) for $115 on Amazon

Kingston Digital 240GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive with Adapter (SV300S37A/240G) for $91 on Amazon

This is just a few. Advice is appreciated.

Swarmy
02-17-2015, 12:12 AM
Usually people put OS and programs that they use a lot on SSD and use the large mechanical drive for everything else. Depending on what you do 250 gig is more then enough for OS and a few programs. And any sata 3 ssd should work fine for ya. You might need to get an adapter though, since I am not sure if it comes with an empty one or just an open bay.