PDA

View Full Version : G73 black screen/no display

Cjbbruns1
11-12-2011, 10:00 PM
I shutdown my laptop last night and when I turned it on this morning, the screen remained black. The harddrives spun, the leds came on, and I heard the windows noise and I was able to type my password and login even though I couldn't see anything. It never displayed the Asus logo and when I tried to enter the bios it displayed nothing. Connecting an external monitor via hdmi did nothing. Reseating the harddrives, using only ac power or battery, and restarting numerous times has done nothing.

Basically, my laptop seems to be fully functional except that the screen stays off and I can't connect an external monitor. What could this be?

BrodyBoy
11-12-2011, 10:06 PM
I hate to say it, but it sounds like there's the possibility of GPU failure. (Although, they often won't even boot when the card completely fails.) When it won't even display the BIOS screens, it's not Windows, driver, or software. If it's under warranty, sounds like you may need to RMA it for GPU or M/B replacement. :(

EDIT: Another real possibility, now that I think of it....and this would be GOOD news!....is that a cable has just come loose. In every actual GPU failure I've seen, and I've seen several, there are warning signs like flickering, often for weeks before the final failure. Also, as I mentioned, the BIOS should pick up a truly bricked GPU, just blurt out some diagnostic beeps, and shut down. The one thing that doesn't support this notion, though, is that you can't get an external monitor to work. (I'm assuming you had it already set up for an external monitor?)

Cjbbruns1
11-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks. There were no noticeable signs of a gpu failure beforehand. It played skyrim just fine for a few hours a couple nights ago, and I didn't do anything intensive with it yesterday.

I didn't have it set up for an external monitor, I just plugged one in and fiddled with the usual keyboard bindings that switch it over. It's possible that it's not setup correctly, as it's been awhile since I've used one.

Everything seems to work, when I randomly click and press keys I get the expected windows sounds.

I have opened the laptop before, and I'll do it again if you think I'd be able to notice a loose cable?

BrodyBoy
11-12-2011, 11:28 PM
I have opened the laptop before, and I'll do it again if you think I'd be able to notice a loose cable?
Well, I'm not sure if it would be visible. But if it were me, I would follow any cable that goes to the display panel (not the wi-fi antennas), and disconnect/reconnect both ends. I'd also take the opportunity to inspect the cables themselves for any obvious signs of casing wear or damage.

Cjbbruns1
11-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Ughhhh okay. I suppose ill try that. I hate doing this though. This laptop has given me nothing but trouble!

Cjbbruns1
11-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Well I have it opened down to the vid card right now.... All the cables seem fine and the video cables cannot be manually reseated at either end. I'm pretty disheartened. Anything else I should check for before I close her up? Hopefully I don't make things worse.

BrodyBoy
11-13-2011, 12:58 AM
What do mean "they can't be reseated?" They should just have connectors on the ends....

If you're uncomfortable in there, or really worried about doing damage, just close it up and let Asus deal with it. :) I don't want to encourage you to do anything you're not comfortable with.

Cjbbruns1
11-13-2011, 01:00 AM
On the display end they just disappear into the screen. On the motherboard they end in these strange gold connectors that don't look removable. This sucks!

BrodyBoy
11-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Yeah, it does suck. You should NOT have to be doing this......

Close it up then. Sounds like it's time to let Asus diagnose and repair.

Cjbbruns1
11-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Okay then. Thanks for the help.

JRd1st
11-13-2011, 01:30 AM
Sorry you have to RMA. Maybe if you slip the tech a $10 spot he/she will give a little. More care to your notebook.

Cjbbruns1
11-14-2011, 09:22 PM
One last bump before I rma to see if anyone knows what's up/has had this problem...

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Is your GPU nVidia or ATi?

Cjbbruns1
11-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Ati.

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Figures. Send it in for sure. There has been a lot of weirdness with ATi graphics around here lately.

Cjbbruns1
11-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Any advice for sending it in? I've heard many horror stories of it coming back with new problems or not even fixed...
How long do you think it will take?

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Read the sticky about RMA's. I've wondered if taping a $10 bill to the keyboard with a note saying something to the effect "Thisis in appreciation of your awesome service to my notebook." would help. Lol

Cjbbruns1
11-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Wellll looks like I'm sending it to Milpitas on Monday... Very nervous. Anyone have any experience with this repair center? Will they test it well before sending it back? I dread multiple rma's.

JRd1st
11-17-2011, 11:15 PM
From what I hear they do the best work. You're lucky it isn't Indiana.

Cjbbruns1
11-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Great! Yeah I thought it would be Indiana since I'm mailing from Ohio. No complaints though.

Muzz
11-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Likely unrelated to your issue, but do you have anything plugged into your USB 3.0 port during bootup? The reason I ask is if I leave my external drive connected during bootup, the screen stays black until I disconnect the drive. After the startup process completes, I reconnect to the USB and all works well.

Cjbbruns1
11-18-2011, 02:34 AM
No, I've tried with and without things connected. Thanks though.

Muzz
11-18-2011, 04:01 AM
Yeah I figured it was a long shot but worth a try. Good luck with the repair. By the way, any use for this? I'm going to donate to a local PC shop if no one claims soon.

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5494-Keyboard-skin-protector-free-to-G73SW-owner

Cjbbruns1
11-18-2011, 04:12 AM
No thanks but that's very nice of you!

Chastity@ASUS
11-18-2011, 07:16 PM
No thanks but that's very nice of you!

If you PM me your RMA # I can track the case.

Cjbbruns1
11-18-2011, 08:07 PM
If you PM me your RMA # I can track the case.

Sent, thanks!

Creativemomof4
11-20-2011, 10:05 PM
I have the same issue. They told me this is a driver issue. I also was given a RMA number and was told they would send me a box which I believe is not true. They also told me only about 90% of computers are returned to their owners. I really hope they can fix this and correctly since I use this computer for school. If you have any advice please let me know. I have the nivida drivers. Also the keyboard no longer lights up and the touch pad sucks.

Cjbbruns1
11-21-2011, 09:08 PM
I have the same issue. They told me this is a driver issue. I also was given a RMA number and was told they would send me a box which I believe is not true. They also told me only about 90% of computers are returned to their owners. I really hope they can fix this and correctly since I use this computer for school. If you have any advice please let me know. I have the nivida drivers. Also the keyboard no longer lights up and the touch pad sucks.

PM Chastity or Brian... I am sending mine in and hopefully it gets taken care of. Good luck.
Also you are correct, I believe you are responsible for packaging the laptop.

zorand
03-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Hello All,

I have a G73JH-A2 and I performed a restore to a first partition by pressing F9 on powerup. After restore was complete a message come up "restore complete press ok to shutdown" . After powering it up I got black screen NO ASUS logo no BEEP. I can't go to BIOS setings, I cant go to restore (F9 does not work). I contacted ASUS tech support, they asked me to create an RMA and send to repair. I am wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this and if there is anything I can do to get it to boot before I send it to ASUS repair center.

Thanks

Zoran

dstrakele
03-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Sorry to hear that, Zoran. You might try reseating your memory and HDD(s). Unfortunately, no ASUS Logo or being able to enter BIOS indicates your problem is not within Windows, but more serious...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/653601-asus-g73jh-will-not-turn-post-no-screen.html discusses a user with the same issue.

Make sure you've removed all peripherals from all ports including the card reader.

zorand
03-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Sorry to hear that, Zoran. You might try reseating your memory and HDD(s). Unfortunately, no ASUS Logo or being able to enter BIOS indicates your problem is not within Windows, but more serious...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/653601-asus-g73jh-will-not-turn-post-no-screen.html discusses a user with the same issue.

Make sure you've removed all peripherals from all ports including the card reader.

Hello Thanks for quick replay. OK I removed one of the HD and rebooted and I got trough post and I can access blos. HD I removed was primary drive so I got please insert boot disk message. Then I removed secondary drive and put primary back in. Now I got no post and no access to BIOS. Is there anything I can do to get primary drive to get recognized by BIOS correctly. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zoran

dstrakele
03-27-2012, 01:16 AM
You could check if the disk manufacturer has a Diagnostic/Repair Utility for the HDD. It may involve posting your issue on the disk manufacturer's forum. However, the odds are you may not be able to bring your primary HDD back from the grave if it cannot be recognized by your BIOS.

In the meantime, you could do an ASUS Factory Restore (if you made the DVD's - and be sure to backup your data) or do a clean Windows 7 install to your other HDD to get up and running. Or you could just go out and purchase a new HDD to use as your primary.

Lars83DK
05-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Hello.
Did any find the reason for black screen and no HDMI output? Becaurse i have ghe sam issue lately after i had a overheat shutdown and then auto win-try to restore. Then i got my G73JW Nvidia disasblyed and cleaned and repastet and a new. CPU fan. After booting op it would show no screen og hdmi output. Then it was disasblyed again but no connection error and on second boot up it would shout down after 6 seconds and the automatically boot up again and the screen worked but when it had bin in windows for a while it would show funny colours on the desktop picture but not in windows like internet explorer. I then did a couple of restarts and now the colours are perfect again. But when computer has bin off for a night it vill on boot not show vidio signal on screen or in hdmi output, restart wont fix it but if i take out the battery and charger and holds down start button for a while and put battery an charger in again and boot then everything workes fine for the day. (I guy on the internet read that the power button trick will discharge any funny discharge powers in the circuit board.

Please any who came over the blackscreen/no hdmi output please reply my post, greets from Lars

Lars83DK
05-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Hello All,
I have a G73JH-A2 and I performed a restore to a first partition by pressing F9 on powerup. After restore was complete a message come up "restore complete press ok to shutdown" . After powering it up I got black screen NO ASUS logo no BEEP. I can't go to BIOS setings, I cant go to restore (F9 does not work). I contacted ASUS tech support, they asked me to create an RMA and send to repair. I am wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this and if there is anything I can do to get it to boot before I send it to ASUS repair center.

Thanks

Zoran

Hello zoran.
Did you find the reason for black screen and no HDMI output? Becaurse i have ghe sam issue lately after i had a overheat shutdown and then auto win-try to restore. Then i got my G73JW Nvidia disasblyed and cleaned and repastet and a new. CPU fan. After booting op it would show no screen og hdmi output. Then it was disasblyed again but no connection error and on second boot up it would shout down after 6 seconds and the automatically boot up again and the screen worked but when it had bin in windows for a while it would show funny colours on the desktop picture but not in windows like internet explorer. I then did a couple of restarts and now the colours are perfect again. But when computer has bin off for a night it vill on boot not show vidio signal on screen or in hdmi output, restart wont fix it but if i take out the battery and charger and holds down start button for a while and put battery an charger in again and boot then everything workes fine for the day. (I guy on the internet read that the power button trick will discharge any funny discharge powers in the circuit board.

Please any who came over the blackscreen/no hdmi output please reply my post, greets from Lars

Lars83DK
05-16-2014, 01:18 PM
I shutdown my laptop last night and when I turned it on this morning, the screen remained black. The harddrives spun, the leds came on, and I heard the windows noise and I was able to type my password and login even though I couldn't see anything. It never displayed the Asus logo and when I tried to enter the bios it displayed nothing. Connecting an external monitor via hdmi did nothing. Reseating the harddrives, using only ac power or battery, and restarting numerous times has done nothing.

Basically, my laptop seems to be fully functional except that the screen stays off and I can't connect an external monitor. What could this be?[/QUOTE[QUOTE=zorand;86489]Hello All,

Thanks

Zoran

Hello.
Did you find the reason for black screen and no HDMI output? Becaurse i have ghe sam issue lately after i had a overheat shutdown and then auto win-try to restore. Then i got my G73JW Nvidia disasblyed and cleaned and repastet and a new. CPU fan. After booting op it would show no screen og hdmi output. Then it was disasblyed again but no connection error and on second boot up it would shout down after 6 seconds and the automatically boot up again and the screen worked but when it had bin in windows for a while it would show funny colours on the desktop picture but not in windows like internet explorer. I then did a couple of restarts and now the colours are perfect again. But when computer has bin off for a night it vill on boot not show vidio signal on screen or in hdmi output, restart wont fix it but if i take out the battery and charger and holds down start button for a while and put battery an charger in again and boot then everything workes fine for the day. (I guy on the internet read that the power button trick will discharge any funny discharge powers in the circuit board.