PDA

View Full Version : How to add a 4th drive to your G751

joshindaphils
02-20-2015, 08:07 AM
I was looking to add additional SSD capacity to my machine for some VMs, spinning disk were getting crushed after a few VMs. First I was looking at attaching the SSD via USB3 though I wasn't thrilled at doing that due to SSDs being sensitive to power loss, as well I didn't want to forgo the storage capacity of my 1TB spinning disk. While I was reviewing SSD options I saw a shot of the PCB on a 2.5" disk and it was rather small... struck by this I tested the SATA3 port that shares the bay with the PICE SSD, and it worked as anticipated.

A little bit of research latter, measuring the available space and then some pixel counting to determine the length of the SSD PCBs I ended up going with the Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD.

Other than removing the PCB from the plastic case, no mods are needed. Simply plug the drive in the available SATA3 slot. There is plenty of room and the friction fit of the SATA port is more than enough to secure the drive, if you are feeling paranoid you could drop some hot glue between the drive and connector.

Attached are some pics showing, before / after, fit, drive, clearance, back plate to give you an idea where the screws hidden by the sticker are, screen caps, etc.

Looks like any drive with a PBC length south of 40mm should fit fine, the 850 Evo 250 and 120GB drives will currently give you the most clearance of any SSD available (according to my research). It is not currently possible to get any larger capacity than ~250GB from an SSD with a PCB length needed for an easy fit. It is not even necessary to remove the PCIe disk to install, the Evo goes in cleanly.

Hope this helps someone out.

Photos below:

d0r1n
02-20-2015, 08:19 AM
i have a 1tb 850 evo too,that litlle is the ssd board if i dismantle it?

hmscott
02-20-2015, 08:51 AM
I was looking to add additional SSD capacity to my machine for some VMs, spinning disk were getting crushed after a few VMs. First I was looking at attaching the SSD via USB3 though I wasn't thrilled at doing that due to SSDs being sensitive to power loss, as well I didn't want to forgo the storage capacity of my 1TB spinning disk. While I was reviewing SSD options I saw a shot of the PCB on a 2.5" disk and it was rather small... struck by this I tested the SATA3 port that shares the bay with the PICE SSD, and it worked as anticipated.

A little bit of research latter, measuring the available space and then some pixel counting to determine the length of the SSD PCBs I ended up going with the Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD.

Other than removing the PCB from the plastic case, no mods are needed. Simply plug the drive in the available SATA3 slot. There is plenty of room and the friction fit of the SATA port is more than enough to secure the drive, if you are feeling paranoid you could drop some hot glue between the drive and connector.

Attached are some pics showing, before / after, fit, drive, clearance, back plate to give you an idea where the screws hidden by the sticker are, screen caps, etc.

Looks like any drive with a PBC length south of 40mm should fit fine, the 850 Evo 250 and 120GB drives will currently give you the most clearance of any SSD available (according to my research). It is not currently possible to get any larger capacity than ~250GB from an SSD with a PCB length needed for an easy fit. It is not even necessary to remove the PCIe disk to install, the Evo goes in cleanly.
Hope this helps someone out.

joshindaphils, that's a neat trick, and for all but the larger SSD's it works great - and better cooling too as the whole board / chips are exposed to cooling. :)

Did you put something under the 2.5" bare board for insulation, non-conductive tape, or?, to keep the board from short out against the PCIE x4 SSD mounting plate?

There is another mod that has been done to remove the PCIE x4 mounting plate and install the PCIE X4 SSD bare with the 2.5" drive above it - using strips of tape to hold them in, and both fit.

Perhaps combining both methods, removing the outer 2.5" shell, and mounting both bare, without the PCIE X4 mounting plate or the 2.5" caddy would provide the best cooling and clearance?

Here is the other mod, unfortunately the poster hasn't come back and posted photo's of the strips of tape method of mounting, the only pictures he posted were of the total tape coverage - which raised SSD temps to 50c - he later posted that the temps went down to 36c after removing all that tape locking in the heat.

Asus G751 coming with Maxwell GTX 980M and GTX 970M
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g751-coming-with-maxwell-gtx-980m-and-gtx-970m.761783/page-98#post-9912464

Thanks for posting all the great photo's!

joshindaphils
02-20-2015, 10:30 AM
HMScott,

The friction fit of the drive and the sata port holds things in place really well. The drive is kept a fair distance away from the plate even though it is not evident from the photos. I have no concern about shorting the drive out.

If you wanted to be extra sure a small square of foam tape would provide 100% protection.

That tape job scares the heck out of me though hehe.

Dorin,

Sadly no, there are several more chips necessary to provide the 1TB capacity. Here is a link that shows the PCB of the 1TB model: http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-850-pro-ssd-review-showing-3d-v-nand/

Another note I forgot to mention in regards to disassembling the drive is that it uses pentalobe head screws. I just used a jewelers flathead to get it open just fine though.

-Josh

Sargatanas
02-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Very nice!!!! I have also a 250 model on my table without any use. Gonna give it a try too :)

ManjuprasadMBasangi
02-20-2015, 12:44 PM
joshindaphils,
Great Idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, will try only when i am desperate enough to void my ssd warranty!!

HMScott,
Did such arrangement caused heating issue, for both HDs when in idle and full load condition??

hmscott
02-20-2015, 12:49 PM
joshindaphils,
Great Idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, will try only when i am desperate enough to void my ssd warranty!!

HMScott,
Did such arrangement caused heating issue, for both HDs when in idle and full load condition??

ManjuprasadMBasangi, if you follow the link I gave to the original post on notebookreview.com I asked about heat, and he checked it out and found at idle the M.2/2,5" SATA temperature was 50c with all the tape covering the chips/board, so he used strips of tape and the idle heat reading dropped to 36c, which is the same as I have for my M.2 SATA cards in my G750JH - so I think that with careful tape placement - to avoid covering components that generate heat - the method can work well.

There are several posts after this post with the images that discuss the heat issue and resolving it, also some posts of interest before this post by him, me and others.

Asus G751 coming with Maxwell GTX 980M and GTX 970M
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g751-coming-with-maxwell-gtx-980m-and-gtx-970m.761783/page-98#post-9912464

hmscott
02-20-2015, 12:55 PM
HMScott,
The friction fit of the drive and the sata port holds things in place really well. The drive is kept a fair distance away from the plate even though it is not evident from the photos. I have no concern about shorting the drive out.
If you wanted to be extra sure a small square of foam tape would provide 100% protection.
That tape job scares the heck out of me though hehe.

joshindaphils, whenever bare conductors hover over a metal plate, it is a good idea to put some kind of non-conductive covering on the metal plate. Non-conductive tape, doesn't need to be foam / thick, should be enough.

Vibration can sometimes cause board flex; if the gap is large it might be ok, but to be safe it is good to cover the bare metal. I think the PCIE X4 mounting plate has dimples in it to raise / touch the M.2 board only on non-conducting places - that is why it doesn't have a non-conductive covering for the M.2 drive.

Yeah, that tape job in his photo's immediately raised a red flag for holding in heat from those chips, he hadn't thought to check, so good thing he posted it and we caught it for him. He hasn't come back yet to post images of the strips of tape method, but I can imagine how to do it without covering the chips, I just hope everyone else that tries it realizes they need to be careful with the tape placement :)

joshindaphils
02-20-2015, 01:14 PM
HMScott,

I hear where you are coming from.

I have an education in electronics and have worked with PC hardware for decades, I've probably left blood in more computers than most people will touch in a lifetime. I say this just to lend a little more weight to my statement; I am not concerned about a short. If my G751 spent a good deal of it's time in a backpack / in travel I would probably consider using adhesive to secure the drive to the port just to be extra safe.

If you check the pics out closely you will see the drive does not overlap with the raised section at all.

I'm not saying to others do not insulate your drive from shorts, by all means do it! It won't hurt, and may very well help. Just saying I found it not to be necessary.

joshindaphils
02-20-2015, 01:28 PM
HMScott,

Also keep in mind you are looking at the 'bottom' of the drive. The board and ports all sit on this side, everything else where a normal HDD would go is all empty space. The photos are a bit deceiving, it it a comfy fit. As well the M.2 bracket takes up almost no space that would intrude on a regular HDD other than the mounting and heat sink areas.

hmscott
02-20-2015, 01:42 PM
HMScott,

Also keep in mind you are looking at the 'bottom' of the drive. The board and ports all sit on this side, everything else where a normal HDD would go is all empty space. The photos are a bit deceiving, it it a comfy fit. As well the M.2 bracket takes up almost no space that would intrude on a regular HDD other than the mounting and heat sink areas.

joshindaphils, that's where I got the idea to suggest trying to install the 2.5" / M.2 SSD's Bare - without mounting caddy/plate; I finally saw a photo showing an M.2 mount on edge which showed that the bumps on the M.2 plate were at the same height as the 2.5" SATA III port - it looked to me that there was enough room to mount both drives without the mounting metal in the way.

Hopefully the G751 Mk. II should work out all these optimizations and give us better mounting and IO connections. :)

d0r1n
02-20-2015, 05:26 PM
guys what temp the xp941 reach? i keep hearing that it goes far as 90c,its that true?
that 4k writing is rubish than a 2,5"

joshindaphils
02-21-2015, 06:49 AM
CrystalDisk info was unable to read the temp of the xp941, any idea what tool can?

I did bench both drives at the same time for 20 min as a torture test, realistic loads will never be anything like this.. both drives would of been overwrote multiple times in this scenario... anyhow the 850 Evo had a peek of 68c then normalized to 62c after about 10min. When just performing the test with only the Evo temps plateaued at 60c.

It would seem that there is little to no contribution of additional heating by the xp941. Giving an easy way to get temps of the PCIe disk I will rerun the test.

Edit:

Also to note idle load is 32c on the Evo.

joshindaphils
02-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Still looking if anyone knows an easy way to get the temps on the XP941. Thanks, sorry for the bump.

hmscott
02-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Still looking if anyone knows an easy way to get the temps on the XP941. Thanks, sorry for the bump.

joshindaphils, kinda unusual for Cystaldiskinfo to fail to read sensors, I assume you downloaded the latest release/beta? XP941 is new, you could also report this to the developer of Crystaldiskinfo...

Here are some others to try:

http://www.hmonitor.net/

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

http://www.argotronic.com/en/

hwinfo64, AIDA64, etc, etc....

Samsung Magician is supposed to recognize the XP941, but the utilities don't work... that might change.
https://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Please let us know what you find works :)

Clintlgm
02-23-2015, 03:40 PM
very good detail how do the cases come off the PCB card ?

joshindaphils
02-24-2015, 04:40 PM
hmscott,

No love so far tried a few different tools. Don't have the time to go through the your full list as of now.

ClinIgm,

There are three pentalobe screws holding the drive case together two are under the drive's label, you must puncture / cut the label to get access to them. I didn't have any pentalobe drivers so I simply used a jewelers flathead on the pentalobe screws, it worked just fine. If you look at my first post there is a pic of the bottom plate that shows where the screws are. You can firmly run your finger around those areas until you find them by feeling the recess through the sticker.

Doing this does void your warranty though, there is a nice message on the sticker stating so.

hmscott
02-24-2015, 05:12 PM
hmscott,...No love so far tried a few different tools. Don't have the time to go through the your full list as of now. ..

joshindaphils, it looks like there may be no temperature sensor on the XP941 to read...

"M.2 Drive Temperatures

We have seen some reports online of M.2 drives (specifically the Samsung XP941) running very hot, so we wanted to see for ourselves how hot both the Plextor and Samsung drives run. Unfortunately, these drives do not have any thermal sensors integrated that we could find so we were limited to using a thermal camera to find the hottest point on the top of the drive. This is not 100% accurate since there may be hot spots on the back of the drive but it is about as accurate as we can get with current M.2 drives."

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Samsung-XP941-Plextor-PX-G256-M6e-M-2-Qualification-575/#sensors

If you put a bare 2.5" in the same bay as the M.2, carefully using strips of tape to anchor them in the bay, you could use the 2.5" SSD heat sensor to monitor both. Not you you, your solution doesn't cross the drives so the temperatures are likely independent.

joshindaphils
02-24-2015, 09:30 PM
joshindaphils, it looks like there may be no temperature sensor on the XP941 to read...

If you put a bare 2.5" in the same bay as the M.2, carefully using strips of tape to anchor them in the bay, you could use the 2.5" SSD heat sensor to monitor both.

Eh I would pick up an IR thermal probe before that. I would also question any results coming from a 'tape the drives together' methodology hehe.

Their concerns on accuracy seem a little unfounded as the heatsink side 'should' be cooler unless there is a chip with some out of whack thermal properties (controller?).

Regardless, I am comfortable with the thermals just off my single test set and seeing very little delta between both drives being active and only the Evo.

hmscott
02-25-2015, 03:44 AM
Eh I would pick up an IR thermal probe before that. I would also question any results coming from a 'tape the drives together' methodology hehe.
Their concerns on accuracy seem a little unfounded as the heatsink side 'should' be cooler unless there is a chip with some out of whack thermal properties (controller?).
Regardless, I am comfortable with the thermals just off my single test set and seeing very little delta between both drives being active and only the Evo.

joshindaphils, there is no thermal probe point on the laptop motherboard, otherwise that would be better, but if both drives are touching each other - I wasn't suggesting doing it only for a temperature reading :) - then they will eventually equalize to the same average temp. If you know the 2.5" normal operating temperature range away from the M.2 you can guesstimate the M.2 temp contribution to the merger of the two.

The temps reported in that article are a bit scary, they shouldn't run that hot. My Sandisk M.2 SATA III drives idle at 36c and get up to about 42c-45c under heavy sustained load, depending on ambient temperature.

joshindaphils
02-25-2015, 07:46 AM
Assuming enough thermal conductivity and the tape doesn't hurt things acting as an insulator ;)

I was just referring to one of these guys http://www.sperdirect.com/images_products/ir-thermometer-gun-8-1-359big.jpg

Not something to stick inside of the laptop.

ManjuprasadMBasangi
02-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Hey, I found a Weird tape (sticky) which provides Thermal Conductivity as well as Electrical Insulation below Heatsink of my Old Samsung Laptop.
Does any one have any idea what it may be?
This type of tape can be used to stick these pcbs for above condition.

hmscott
02-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Assuming enough thermal conductivity and the tape doesn't hurt things acting as an insulator ;)

I was just referring to one of these guys http://www.sperdirect.com/images_products/ir-thermometer-gun-8-1-359big.jpg

Not something to stick inside of the laptop.

joshindaphils, yes it can and has been done, assuming the minimal tape method to attach the drives with "tape" - strips over non-heat generating points - not on chips - and using minimal tape.

The photo with the total tape coverage is a good example of how *not* to do it. When he posted the photo of the all over tape coverage, I suggested he check the temperatures and to change the tape to minimal strips, not touching / covering heat generating portions of the drives.

Before he changed the tape, with the total tape coverage the temps were 50c, after he changed the tape he measured 36c - the same idle temperature of my M.2 SATA III drives. So, no problem, good work :)

You did follow the links and read the posts? If not, please go back and read them and you will see his postings. Unfortunately he didn't follow up with photo's of the minimal tape method, so the only example to show is the wrong way to do it - but it does show that the bay/connector(s) clearance allows both drives to exist in the same Bay.

Asus G751 coming with Maxwell GTX 980M and GTX 970M - initial photo of total coverage tape

Asus G751 coming with Maxwell GTX 980M and GTX 970M - follow up with before / after temps, minimal tape coverage
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g751-coming-with-maxwell-gtx-980m-and-gtx-970m.761783/page-98#post-9912685

Yes, I know what an IR gun is, but I was trying to express what my first thought was, run a temperature probe to the drive, but the motherboard doesn't have extra thermal probe points available.

The IR gun wouldn't give an accurate reading. Removing the Bay(s) cover stops any air flow that occurs in the sealed case - cooling the drives - and although convection would dissipate some of the heat, it wouldn't be the same as with the cover on.

That is why I suggested using the temp of the 2.5" drive while installed in the same Bay as the M.2 drive. As a side effect to connecting both drives in the same Bay, and using the SATA III 2.5" interface - the real goal. This works in the above example, but not for your solution where the drives don't cross/touch and share the heat generation.

It can and has been done, safely and successfully, someone else has already done it. :)

hmscott
02-25-2015, 10:39 AM
Hey, I found a Weird tape (sticky) which provides Thermal Conductivity as well as Electrical Insulation below Heatsink of my Old Samsung Laptop.

ManjuprasadMBasangi, is the tape placed between the heatsink and the case, or between the motherboard under where the CPU is placed and the case? It sounds like a firewall to keep the case from getting a hot spot - protecting your legs from being burned :)

joshindaphils
02-25-2015, 10:49 AM
I am using the SATA3 port.. I was more curious on the M.2 drive temps than anything. I feel my solution is far more elegant than taping something together in any manner, I would not undo it or change it to simply get the temps from a drive when the manufacturer doesn't deem it a concern worthy of a solution.

If someone else wishes to go with the tape method, more power to them. I've already stated my views, and why I won't be doing that.

The only obstacles that I have are a perfect contentedness in my solution and the lack of impetus to make it worse (IMO) to achieve something I only have passing curiosity about, and I feel would only achieve dubious results.

I have already posted temps regarding the delta between the drives under load. I have not the time to build out another boot drive to truly isolate the thermal effects on the Evo. The delta between the two shows me that it is not a concern.

I've provided the best data available within reason.

hmscott
02-25-2015, 10:58 AM
I am using the SATA3 port.. I was more curious on the M.2 drive temps than anything. I feel my solution is far more elegant than taping something together in any manner, I would not undo it or change it to simply get the temps from a drive when the manufacturer doesn't deem it a concern worthy of a solution.
If someone else wishes to go with the tape method, more power to them. I've already stated my views, and why I won't be doing that.
The only obstacles that I have are a perfect contentedness in my solution and the lack of impetus to make it worse (IMO) to achieve something I only have passing curiosity about, and I feel would only achieve dubious results.
I have already posted temps regarding the delta between the drives under load. I have not the time to build out another boot drive to truly isolate the thermal effects on the Evo. The delta between the two shows me that it is not a concern.
I've provided the best data available within reason.

joshindaphils, sorry I missed getting my point across, you can't do this, as you have pulled the drive out of the case and the two drives aren't touching. Your solution is the better solution if the SSD is short enough to fit, like your's is.

The larger capacity SSD's, which are what many of us need, won't fit the same as your solution - the SSD memory boards are too long to not touch, so the only choice is to cross drives, which also can be made to work.

I wasn't suggesting you put your 250GB SSD back in the case and try the merged / taped solution, I was only trying to answer each of the problems you raised to show it has already been done and there are solutions.

There are others watching / reading these posts, now and in the future, and they will be interested in putting their 512GB/1TB/? 2.5"/M.2 drives into the same bay, the comments are for them.

Thanks and sorry about the confusion. I think your solution is great if you want a 250GB 2.5" SSD, or if in the future shorter boards are used for the 512GB/1TB/? SSDs.

I had to read through to page 3 to find the temps, perhaps you can edit the 1st post and add them there, to make it easier to find?

The temps still seem high, 36c/68c is higher than I see on my Samsung 840 Pro 512GB, but that is in a different drive bay, a G750JH, I see 28c idle (right now with laptop at 100%/100% CPU/GPU), and 58c max (will double check that).

In this snapshot the M.2 drives (1st 2 listed) are in use, the Samsung 840 Pro is idle, and the 2 external USB drives are idle.

What are you using to generate the max temp on the Evo?

joshindaphils
02-25-2015, 11:22 AM
joshindaphils, sorry I missed getting my point across, you can't do this, as you have pulled the drive out of the case and the two drives aren't touching. Your solution is the better solution if the SSD is short enough to fit, like your's is.

The larger capacity SSD's, which are what many of us need, won't fit the same as your solution - the SSD memory boards are too long to not touch, so the only choice is to cross drives, which also can be made to work.

I wasn't suggesting you put your 256GB SSD back in the case and try the merged / taped solution, I was only trying to answer each of the problems you raised to show it has already been done and there are solutions.

There are others watching / reading these posts, now and in the future, and they will be interested in putting their 512GB/1TB/? 2.5"/M.2 drives into the same bay, the comments are for them.

It's not about you :)

Thanks and sorry about the confusion. I think your solution is great if you want a 256GB 2.5" SSD, or if in the future shorter boards are used for the 512GB/1TB/? SSDs.

To note; I do not believe it is possible to lay the SATA SSD board directly on top (flush) of the M.2 slot while the SATA drive is directly plugged into the laptop's port. I believe the SATA drive would be angled away from the M.2 board on the far side. The way my drive is mounted it actually resides at a lower level than the M.2 board. If you look at the pics you posted of the tape job it does appears that this is the case, though it is hard to discern with certainty by the pic.

Perhaps by purchasing or fashioning a short extension cable your vision of more accurate temp readings would be possible.

Another concern I have with mounting the SATA drives with longer PCBs like your posted example would be undue stress applied to the SATA port by prying the SATA drive over top of the M.2 drive. How much of an effect this has in practice I can only speculate.

When you address a post to me I assume it is relevant to me ;) It is all in the context.

hmscott
02-25-2015, 11:32 AM
To note; I do not believe it is possible to lay the SATA SSD board directly on top (flush) of the M.2 slot while the SATA drive is directly plugged into the laptop's port. I believe the SATA drive would be angled away from the M.2 board on the far side. The way my drive is mounted it actually resides at a lower level than the M.2 board. If you look at the pics you posted of the tape job it does appears that this is the case, though it is hard to discern with certainty by the pic.

Perhaps by purchasing or fashioning a short extension cable your vision of more accurate temp readings would be possible.

Another concern I have with mounting the SATA drives with longer PCBs like your posted example would be undue stress applied to the SATA port by prying the SATA drive over top of the M.2 drive. How much of an effect this has in practice I can only speculate.

When you address a post to me I assume it is relevant to me ;) It is all in the context.

joshindaphils, I PM'd deteplete3 to get more info, and hopefully a photo.

The angle of deteplete3's photo's makes it difficult to tell the connector fit, but both connectors allow some play vertically, hopefully the 2 can adjust to fit.

Removing the 2.5" SSD case is a great idea to remove some of the material that increases the thickness and might help reduce the angle required to fit into both connectors, reducing the stress as well.

Taping in place it would be important to watch that clearance / tolerance / stress on the connectors.

You were addressing the questions / concerns about the problems with the crossed SSD's solution, then internalizing my answers as directed to you, which the answers were, but not the actions. NP, happens to everyone.

Thanks again for the details, it really helped :)

ManjuprasadMBasangi
02-25-2015, 11:38 AM
hmscott

ManjuprasadMBasangi, is the tape placed between the heatsink and the case, or between the motherboard under where the CPU is placed and the case? It sounds like a firewall to keep the case from getting a hot spot - protecting your legs from being burned

The Tape is sandwiched between CPU case and Heatsink, where thermal transfer between Processor and Heatsink takes place, The tape is replacement for Heatsink Compound and it is 3mm thick. ;).

hmscott
02-25-2015, 12:25 PM

ManjuprasadMBasangi, is the tape placed between the heatsink and the case, or between the motherboard under where the CPU is placed and the case? It sounds like a firewall to keep the case from getting a hot spot - protecting your legs from being burned :)

hmscott
The Tape is sandwiched between CPU case and Heatsink, where thermal transfer between Processor and Heatsink takes place, The tape is replacement for Heatsink Compound and it is 3mm thick. ;).

ManjuprasadMBasangi, that is a thermal pad :)

It is a quick way to apply TIM on the CPU in mass manufacturing, it can even be automated.

There are better materials, better heat transfer, but sometimes the advantage of quick application, and sometimes adding the ability to bridge a large gap between the "can" of the part and the heatsink/plate - especially if a number of "can"'s are covered by the same heat transfer plate - maybe not in this case, but often used for GPU/GPU memory heat sinks.

Once you break the connection between the CPU / heatsink that compound isn't going to last, it is best to remove it and replace it either with another thermal pad, or if the clearance will allow it, use a thin high performance TIM paste/liquid.

Are you trying to re-paste, or are you salvaging the laptop? It might be good to check out the Toshiba user forums, there might be someone there that has been through re-pasting this model specifically and can offer advice direct to the specific need.

XenonMK
02-25-2015, 10:42 PM
Here you go:

http://i.imgur.com/Z0eYzro.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EBMYvEf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6HHZC9A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WkhGLxj.jpg

hmscott
02-25-2015, 10:49 PM
Guys, deteplete3 updated the thread with new photo's, with the sparse tape and heatsinks attached to assist in cooling.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g751-coming-with-maxwell-gtx-980m-and-gtx-970m.761783/page-102#post-9939843

hmscott
02-26-2015, 05:05 AM
Here you go: (giant photo's )

XenonMK, having the original sized photo's is awesome, but could you please resize/shrink them down to 500k-1MB for in forum placement? IDK how many people will right click and save to view the photo.

Update: thanks for resizing for viewing inline in the forum :)

joshindaphils
03-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Bumping this thread so people quit asking questions that are answered here over on this https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58901-3-HD-s-installed-G751-Samsung-M-2-Evo840-256gb-750gb-Seagate-Momentus-XT-Hybrid/page2 thread

xdr
03-30-2015, 06:27 AM
Here is how i've done it (SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB)

I used the sticky pads that were holding the initial M.2 drive to isolate the two drives. Also I've used an old rubber foot to fix the M.2 drive in place.
Temperatures: 32C at normal operation/ 53C at maximum usage

joshindaphils
03-30-2015, 08:24 AM
Here is how i've done it (SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

Nice job! I like that much better than the 'over the M.2' method. I take it there is not any overdue stress on the SATA drive by tucking it under the M.2 drive?

Were your SATA temps achieved by stress testing both drives at the same time?

xdr
03-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Nice job! I like that much better than the 'over the M.2' method. I take it there is not any overdue stress on the SATA drive by tucking it under the M.2 drive?

Were your SATA temps achieved by stress testing both drives at the same time?

There is almost no physical stress on the SATA drive. If you would remove the pads then there will be no stress at all. But I wanted to have some kind of isolation between the two.

My test was done by copying almost 200 GB from the normal HDD to the SATA drive which took almost 30 minutes . I guess that M.2 will not add much heat, but I'll do another stress test with both drives.

Xehanort
03-30-2015, 01:44 PM
Great job, xdr!

I'd love to try this out, but SSD's are still way too damn expensive. I sure hope the performance justifies these kind of prices >=|

joshindaphils
03-30-2015, 05:00 PM
I used the sticky pads that were holding the initial M.2 drive to isolate the two drives. Also I've used an old rubber foot to fix the M.2 drive in place.
Temperatures: 32C at normal operation/ 53C at maximum usage

Would be awesome if you could show / detail the old rubber foot that is used to affix the M.2. Also you get extra hacker points for repurposing the thermal tape already on the system, just noticed that bit.

There is almost no physical stress on the SATA drive. If you would remove the pads then there will be no stress at all. But I wanted to have some kind of isolation between the two.

My test was done by copying almost 200 GB from the normal HDD to the SATA drive which took almost 30 minutes . I guess that M.2 will not add much heat, but I'll do another stress test with both drives.

Try Cystal Disk Mark http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html for stress testing your thermals. You can run two copies to test both drives at the same time.

Great job, xdr!

I'd love to try this out, but SSD's are still way too damn expensive. I sure hope the performance justifies these kind of prices >=|

Yes, yes, and triple yes. At least for me. I have task and work flows that SSD's save me huge amounts of time or makes cretin things practical / possible to do. If you are just playing games, I'd say not so much, but it is still super nice. If you are using your box as a workstation as I am then you have no clue what you are missing :D

Xehanort
03-30-2015, 06:08 PM
Yes, yes, and triple yes. At least for me. I have task and work flows that SSD's save me huge amounts of time or makes cretin things practical / possible to do. If you are just playing games, I'd say not so much, but it is still super nice. If you are using your box as a workstation as I am then you have no clue what you are missing :D
Ok, legit question: I use it for heavy video editing, I keep the temp files on the extremely fast m.2 drive. If I put an SSD on the SATAIII port, and keep all the files i'm gonna use on the making of a video there, will I notice a performance boost?

joshindaphils
03-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Ok, legit question: I use it for heavy video editing, I keep the temp files on the extremely fast m.2 drive. If I put an SSD on the SATAIII port, and keep all the files i'm gonna use on the making of a video there, will I notice a performance boost?

Perhaps a bit of misscomunication here. The M.2 and SATA drives are both SSDs, they just use different interfaces.

I don't do any video editing that could be considered heavy at all, so I can't really tell you off hand what you could expect.

I am assuming that your source material is on a spinning disk (traditional HDD). What you can do is use perfmon (Google it) or just open up the task manager an look under the performance tab while performing your editing. If you see your drive activity being pegged at 100% active time for longish periods of time (not off the M.2) you would likely benefit from installing an SSD.

If you would like to continue the discussion please open another thread or PM me so we can keep this thread on topic.

xdr
03-31-2015, 07:48 AM
Would be awesome if you could show / detail the old rubber foot that is used to affix the M.2. Also you get extra hacker points for repurposing the thermal tape already on the system, just noticed that bit.

The rubber foot looks just like this : 47982
I think it's from an old wifi router. I drilled a small hole in the rubber using a thin screwdriver to fit the screw. So far so good.

I did another stress test using both SSD drives and the maximum temperature didn't go over 53C. If I'll find some heatsinks like these 47983 i'll fit them on the chips for extra heat dissipation, just to be safe.

Arkon
04-20-2015, 08:52 PM
This thread made me laugh :D. Now I'm (a little bit) more reassured and convinced of buying this notebook. Hopefully, since I would have to buy an additional high-capacity ssd in the next year, 3d memory ssd will already be out and smaller at 1tb.
In any case, do you know if the crucial bx100 1tb is strippable?

joshindaphils
04-21-2015, 05:57 AM
This thread made me laugh :D. Now I'm (a little bit) more reassured and convinced of buying this notebook. Hopefully, since I would have to buy an additional high-capacity ssd in the next year, 3d memory ssd will already be out and smaller at 1tb.
In any case, do you know if the crucial bx100 1tb is strippable?

The Evo 850 I used is using 3D or stacked chips.

Until they start adding even more layers you will have to compromise with overlapping the M.2 drive for now.

Personally I've been very happy with my purchase. The screen is the best 17" panel I've seen on a laptop. There are two 'open' issues currently and that is the sound crackling issue (Sanctrum just posted a nice hack to address this), and the left side USB port issue (bothers / effects not everyone i.e. my drives behave well after the BIOS update)

QC_AGENT
04-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Very clever, I hate having a piece of hardware masking ports. It makes non sense having a SATA available without the possibility to use it. You came with the right solution. I will defitely use it in the upcoming year.

Many thank for sharing this!!! Should be a sticky!

joshindaphils
04-28-2015, 01:11 AM
Very clever, I hate having a piece of hardware masking ports. It makes non sense having a SATA available without the possibility to use it. You came with the right solution. I will defitely use it in the upcoming year.

Many thank for sharing this!!! Should be a sticky!

One of these days I'll rewrite it and consolidate the different drives / methods. Then it would be more sticky worthy. Glad it will / has helped you out.

EumarZephyr
04-28-2015, 10:22 PM
I recently did saw this post and its a really great idea putting the samsung ssd. Ive seen that also there is a Sandisk that would also fit i think.

Additionally since la laptop was already open, a took a seagate backup slim 2tb, took out the samsung drive (which i hear is really good) and changed the HDD. Took the stock drive from the g751 and put it inside the seagate casing. For those who are interested in expanding even further the storage space.

QC_AGENT
08-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Up! since this thread is super cool and should be a sticky and I just wasted 10 minutes to find it in the Cyberspace of this forum.

Does mSATA form factor would fit the SATA port?

joshindaphils
08-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Up! since this thread is super cool and should be a sticky and I just wasted 10 minutes to find it in the Cyberspace of this forum.

Does mSATA form factor would fit the SATA port?

They do make SATA to mSATA adapters, if you find one that fits the dimensions needed there is no reason it would not work. You would likely need to pull any necessary mounting hardware off of it. Something like this may work great: https://usb.brando.com/50mm-mini-pci-e-msata-ssd-to-sata-22-pin-adapter_p03446c0042d015.html you would have to mesure / pixel count to see if it would fit cleanly.

Also check out this thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71609-G751JY-DB73X-and-other-G751-s-M-2-bracket-3d-printed-and-heatsinked a fellow forum member has created a 3d printable bracket that will allow fo larger drives to fit even better! I've sean at least a 512GB drive done rather cleanly with the bracket. You may even be able to fit a 1to 2TB drive w/o issue.

I haven't forgot about the rewrite BTW just keep landing large projects that suck all of my time. Been nice for the wallet though heheh.

hexaae
01-20-2016, 02:03 PM
Hey, what about this interesting piece of HW?
http://s18.postimg.org/ifw6c40jp/Super_RAID4_003_jpg_thumb.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ifw6c40jp/)
4x M.2 PCI-E Gen 3.0 x4 SSDs
You can mount up to 2+2 M.2 on both sides... :)

JustinThyme
01-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Hey, what about this interesting piece of HW?
http://s18.postimg.org/ifw6c40jp/Super_RAID4_003_jpg_thumb.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ifw6c40jp/)
4x M.2 PCI-E Gen 3.0 x4 SSDs
You can mount up to 2+2 M.2 on both sides... :)

It has SATA 2 printed on the board with an NVMe drive in the slot. Kind of defeats the purpose of an M2 SSD?

EumarZephyr
06-09-2016, 01:48 AM
has anyone had problems using this configuration on their laptops? I've been using it like this for a year and a half now and suddenly my G751 stopped recognizing the 1tb hard drive, not even on the bios. so fearing the worst, i took it the the technically challenged people at asus service center and i got this reply from them after a month.

"This email is in regard to your in processing RMA CAA1652434, please be kindly informed that during the repair it was brought to the technician’s attention that the computer actually has a hardware limitation to support three Hard Drives at the same time, consultation was also made with our Head Quarter Technical support to have this point confirmed: The unit comes from factory configured with 1 x HDD & 1 x SSD, the model will not be compatible with a 3RD SSD installed.

We assume this is the reason you experience problems to manage the 2ND HDD. Please be advised that the hardware modification you have performed to install an additional SSD is not recommended and due to the hardware limitation unfortunately we cannot guarantee the stability.

Currently the test result of this computer indicate that somehow the 1TB HDD has some bad sectors but other components function well. My apology that technician original suspected a MB defect was the cause of the “not detecting HDD” and we quoted to you for replacing this part, we will fully refund to you for this service charge. If you would like to have the defective HDD replaced please let me know and I will advise how much the repair cost would be."

So the thing went like this, they had my laptop for less than 8 hrs and somehow they "diagnosed" that i had a faulty motherboard, quite some time later the come with an email stating the above" the interesting part is that although i've had the ssd taken out some time ago, the laptop still presents the same problem even though i have tried using several different HDD.

Anyone have any thoughts of what could it be? Since the space cadets at asus cant seem to figure it out. :mad:

roongwolf
01-22-2017, 09:15 AM
Sandisk x300s (OLD) + Samsung SM951 AHCI (NEW) on G751JT

62056*