PDA

View Full Version : My G750 motherboard may have died, any help before RMA?

BIOHAZARD9519
02-20-2015, 04:40 PM
So here's the story, I was eating lunch outside on campus and my water spilled on my back pack with the G750 inside. Of all things the zipper was slightly open and water managed to get in the bag compartment. I quickly pulled out the laptop and found out it still worked like normal. That night I was working on it normally as if nothing bad happened, and unintentionally found that my touchpad was unresponsive, even the fn key+func to turn off the touchpad didn't work, when all other fn+func worked. I restarted the laptop and it worked again, but later became unresponsive again. I was using an external mouse which worked full time. I restarted again, but now the laptop won't boot, not even to boot screen.

So here's my problem:
The laptop will turn on, but will not show anything. The HDD led will light for a second and go dark forever. The keyboard is unresponsive with thenumlock led lit. I can't get into bios through keyboard either. Again the computer does start, I can hear the HDD spinning and the fans whir up like normal. I found similar threads, but mostly applied to the new models from a sleep-wake problem. I can't tell if water somehow managed to mess up my motherboard hours later after the incident or something else messed it up. All online help threads I looked for seem to point out that it may be the motherboard when it came to similar problems. Is there any way I can reset the bios or even factory reset before I decide to RMA? I still have Asus warranty...

Darnassus
02-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Err.. since you're a member since March 2014 I assume that's when you bought the compy? I'd send it in for RMA as soon as possible while you still have your accidental cover to claim on.

navis995
02-21-2015, 05:07 PM
For future accidents with water. Do not turn on the device when you have just spilled it with a liquid. There is a high chance you'll damage what may have been saved.

BIOHAZARD9519
02-21-2015, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info

BIOHAZARD9519
02-21-2015, 06:34 PM
For future accidents with water. Do not turn on the device when you have just spilled it with a liquid. There is a high chance you'll damage what may have been saved.

Yes thinking back made me regret what I did. Considering this was my first "accident" ever, I freaked out and didn't think straight. I guess I learned the hard way...

hmscott
02-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Yes thinking back made me regret what I did. Considering this was my first "accident" ever, I freaked out and didn't think straight. I guess I learned the hard way...

BIOHAZARD9519, composure under fire can't be learned without getting burned a few times...

Don't sweat it, we have all done it at one point or another. I keep beverages in secure top cups, and have cut down the spills by "100%".

Well, almost 100%, tipping over a long neck beer and catching it before it completely falls, still shoots out a spill... good thing I keep a liquid resistant sheet over my laptop keyboard, and use an external wireless keyboard :)