PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a G20 - scared now

thalador
02-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Hi folks,

Been a long time since I was here. I have my ASUS G74sx laptop and its time to go back to a desktop. I had looked locally and saw the G20 at BestBuy and thought it really slick looking. Read some reviews, looked ok. Then I came here. Based on the 10 threads I just read I am very leary to buy one of these. The price tag at BB was nice, $1300 with 16gb of ram and 2tb drive. I will ask this though:

Should I buy one? Seems like nothing buy problems in these forums.

If not, what would folks recommend at that price point?

Thanks!

zhangyifu
02-21-2015, 10:19 PM
Regardless of all the problems i have had with the G20aj, it is a solid gaming rig.

hori
02-21-2015, 10:28 PM
mines been rock solid at gaming, the quirks are fewer for me lately with updates. The small tower is perfect and extremely quiet.

thalador
02-21-2015, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking of getting the bestbuy one and went and checked it out tonight. Looks awesome. Salesguy said the 2tb disk was one drive so I would be able to put my SSD in it. Is there bloatware on it as bad as there was on my laptop?

whatdoesthisbuttondo
02-22-2015, 12:33 AM
Is there bloatware on it as bad as there was on my laptop?

Yes, there is an outrageous amount of bloatware. I got the version they ship in Europe/Germany, and it actually ran like crap with the factory installation. After you get rid of pretty much every single piece of that so-called "extra value" software, it is a nice system though. Probably a good idea to do that before any updating of windows or drivers, as many issues the system has are because of said bloatware.

thalador
02-22-2015, 02:07 AM
Good to know. I noticed on the asus software page there isn't a whole lot for windows 7 for this system. I would rather poke my eyes out than use win8. If I downgrade, even a fresh install to win7, will I have issues?

toronto699
02-22-2015, 05:30 AM
your will have lots of issues with W7 finding drivers best to install Windows Classic Shell , u get the speed of W8 and the feel of W7
http://classicshell.net/
2nd option is to have W10 preview as a dual boot, I have no issues with W10 on 2 pc's and a G751 laptop. but be sure your G20 is working without problems if u decide to have W10 as dual boot , When released W10 will be a free upgrade for W8

Sick_G20
02-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Can't beat it for the money and size. It's a solid gaming rig. Running Passmark some 2d tests actually just beat out a gtx980. It lags behind in the 3d tests, but not that far behind.
Best wasnt too bad with the bloatware. ive seen alot worse..

thalador
02-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Any other systems in this price range I should look at? The win8 thing really bugs me and if it wont run win7 well it could be a deal breaker

Sick_G20
02-24-2015, 07:52 PM
For the price and configuration of the i7 model it can't be beat, there is nothing else pre-made in this small form factor with these specs. I'm sure if you searched around for best prices you could build a mid or small case close to the g20's specs but you would be spending a few hundred more. Just a gtx980 alone is over 500$. add in case, mb, mem, Cpu, PSU, hd and dvd. Not to mention cooling and anything else you might want. well over 1500.

i got mine from bb for 1169$. i7 4790, gtx760, 16g ram, 2tb hd with dvd-rw. not to mention the other stuff. wifi, blutooth, intel onboard graphics, usb 3.0, sound, etc. i only got it for that price because newegg had the same one for 1169 and they had to match it.

I'll keep the 760 in it for a while and when I'm ready I'll throw in a 980 and some ssd's.

I can't see why you would have problems with windows 7. I have been using win 7 on my laptop for over 3 years without any issues. never had an issue with drivers, running games, peripherals or any software.

whatdoesthisbuttondo
02-24-2015, 11:35 PM
Any other systems in this price range I should look at? The win8 thing really bugs me and if it wont run win7 well it could be a deal breaker

I hear you, I'm not all that convinced with the new UI myself. However, I'd still go with Win8 for performance reasons, you can install classic shell if you do not like the new UI.

At the end of the day, since you're buying a gaming rig, you'll want maximum performance from your hardware. You'll not see much of the ugly UI once you're gaming anyways :D

icwhatudidthere
02-25-2015, 01:50 AM
It's sounding like Windows 10 might come out this summer?

Then again, you might wanna wait and see if new SKUs come out with the GTX 980 already installed.

thalador
02-25-2015, 03:31 AM
It's sounding like Windows 10 might come out this summer?

Then again, you might wanna wait and see if new SKUs come out with the GTX 980 already installed.

Is that on the horizon anytime soon?

icwhatudidthere
02-25-2015, 04:37 PM
I don't know any specifics but Best Buy no longer lists the GTX 760 version of the G20 and Asus lists the GTX 980 in their international web sites. But I don't know if the two are related so this is just speculation.

ETA: I take that bit about Best Buy back. It doesn't show up if you search for Rog G20. It's still there though.

Sick_G20
02-25-2015, 11:19 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/gaming-desktops

they will price match if you see it cheaper..

GoHack
02-27-2015, 03:33 AM
I bought the Intel i5 model from BB, and have been slowly upgrading it, including adding an SSD, 16 GB memory, added a 180 Watt PS Brick, and a GeForce GTX 670 that I had.

No issues w/the system what so ever.

I plan to eventually add an i7-4790K CPU and a GeForce GTX 980 video card.

Mortis360
03-11-2015, 02:10 PM
My G20AJ-NR040S came without Virtuwatt installed, and I have cleaned out most of the other ASUS software on it, and it works great, this came with GTX 980 pre-installed from ASUS.

emitch87
03-12-2015, 06:18 AM
The only regret I have with my G20 (I5 Best Buy model) is the my Alienware M14X that I'm replacing with the Asus won't sell!

Ravenholme
03-16-2015, 09:19 PM
i got my system on friday, added an ssd, upgraded the ram, dropped some of the bloatware… adobe acrobat reader, the cloud storage, mcafee, bell had one for free so i didn't need a trial. I'm pondering if i should just get rid of all the bloat ware? (intel, ROG, Aegis?) I'll drop Virtuwatt since many of you said something about that.

Korth
03-17-2015, 12:10 AM
your will have lots of issues with W7 finding drivers best to install Windows Classic Shell , u get the speed of W8 and the feel of W7
lol, I would argue that Win7 already has the feel of Win7 and it's faster than Win8. Win8 has faster startup/shutdown - no argument - but I usually startup and shutdown my computer only once (perhaps twice) each day, which doesn't add up to a whole lot of time savings. Win7 is definitely the less bloated of the two, and consequently tends to be faster in actual use. Win8's fancy GUI elements appear to do many things like file copies so much faster, but a stopwatch provides more telling results which consistently favour Win7.

mcauslene
03-17-2015, 02:51 AM
The machine itself is a beast, I picked up the GTX970 version a couple of weeks ago. There's nothing else on the market that's remotely similar. The price was only a couple of hundred dollars higher than the machine I had specc'd to build but with the advantage of small form factor and ridiculous looks.

The only issue I had was getting the SSD inside, scratched it to hell as it's a tight fit.

Ravenholme
03-19-2015, 06:47 PM
yeah it's a hell of a trick to get the SSD in there, i had to unscrew the bracket and unscrew the heatsink and notch it up, and pull the bracket back (after removing the optical drive) in order to slide in the SSD lol