PDA

View Full Version : GPU Tweak - should it be that simple?

Graphiks
02-22-2015, 05:27 AM
So I have taken the plunge and bought a G750JS so it has the GTX 870M with 6G of memory. Looking at the GPU Tweak software confuses me though. The version I have will show me all the basic data like memory clock speed, fan speeds and GPU temperature but it has only two controls, two switches to be exact, and neither of these can actually be switched. They are the "GPU Overclock" and "Run GPU Fan on Full Speed". I am not sure I want to switch them but I am perplexed that I can't and it makes this program seem a bit pointless. On-line screenshots of this software look much more grand with graphs and stuff. Is there a different version or does this stuff depend on which GPU you have?

hmscott
02-22-2015, 06:39 AM
So I have taken the plunge and bought a G750JS so it has the GTX 870M with 6G of memory. Looking at the GPU Tweak software confuses me though. The version I have will show me all the basic data like memory clock speed, fan speeds and GPU temperature but it has only two controls, two switches to be exact, and neither of these can actually be switched. They are the "GPU Overclock" and "Run GPU Fan on Full Speed". I am not sure I want to switch them but I am perplexed that I can't and it makes this program seem a bit pointless. On-line screenshots of this software look much more grand with graphs and stuff. Is there a different version or does this stuff depend on which GPU you have?

Graphiks, with the Optimus G750's (JM/JS/JZ/JY) Asus issued a branch off Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics cards that doesn't have the fine tuning / monitoring of GPU called Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops.

GPU Tweak for Laptops only allows OC on/off and limits it to 5% boost - the Boost is only GPU clock and doesn't do anything for GPU memory speed. The Fan Spped Full option turns up the Fan all the way - 1 setting for manual Max speed, otherwise automatic - like the manual MSI button on the keyboard to turn on MaxFan.

25k spin speed can't be real, but it does say it :)

You can use another program like MSI Afterburner to set the GPU/memory speeds directly, with the graphs too.

MSI Afterburner
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

The GPU runs cool enough on automatic, and for the most part, so does the CPU. The GPU Full Fan Speed increases air flow through the case, so it also reduces the CPU temp by a couple of C's.

What you want to look for is CPU Thermal Throttling, which you can see with a tool like hwinfo64 - which also logs measurements. Quite often people will panic because they see the High Temp in the 90's, but after logging temps during a gaming session they find that most of the time the temps are in the 70c/80c range, with only brief single jumps into the 90's. And, no Thermal Throttling.

hwinfo64 - Download
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

If you run batch jobs that render on the GPU - the CPU on the Optimus laptops is about 10c higher due to the Intel GPU enabled on the same die. If you do experience Thermal Throttling even with Full Fan, you can adjust the Core 3/4 settings down to bring temps down just under Thermal Throttling level. dblkk and I worked it out a while ago.

Things to try ~CPU overheating JM/JS/JZ models
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48594-Things-to-try-CPU-overheating-JM-JS-JZ-models&highlight=dblkk

You shouldn't need to worry about it, normal heavy gaming won't get close to causing Thermal Throttling, so I would monitor with hwinfo64 logging sessions for a while, and see if your temp range is good - don't sweat it if you are a few degrees higher/lower than others - there is variation within builds. Just watch for constant temps hovering around 93c-95c the range where Thermal Throttling starts.

Welcome to ROG Forums, and please come back and let us know how your JS is running :)