PDA

View Full Version : a few g751 questions from a new owner

rickets
02-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Hi,
I received my g751 a few days ago. It is pretty nice not to have thermal issues in a laptop. I am coming from the mac world of machines, so this is all pretty new. I have a couple questions for anyone nice enough to answer:
1) what the heck is that button above the esc key? I keep hitting it accidently. Is it doing something wierd or no?

2) Is there an easy way to un-partition the hard drive? I bought with just the one non-SSD drive, but it appears to have been pre formated into two partitions...not sure of the point.

3) I did check my current bios version (shipped with 205), but how do i check the currency of all the other stuff? All the other hardware drivers, especially the asus -supplied stuff. (I already updated the nvidia drivers, using nvidia's latest set).

4)What is with the strange Steam skin that appears when you hit the dedicated Steam button? Is there some way to change the behavior or appearance? It strikes me as unwieldy and unecessarily simplified from the standard steam interface.

So far this beast has been great. Runs anything i can toss at it, at very high settings, with no issues at all.

Thank you!

Boaz Beatz
02-22-2015, 08:58 PM
the steam is not a skin its full screen mode or tv mode if you so want google how to turn it off simple enough

rickets
02-23-2015, 08:02 AM
why would it default to TV mode, if it is on my laptop screen...but ok, ty.

BigDRim
02-23-2015, 08:58 AM
For steam, you can find a fix here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings

rickets
02-23-2015, 02:25 PM
thanks guys. Anyone able to help on the other questions?

Clintlgm
02-23-2015, 03:04 PM
As to your drivers Asus Support Download (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)would be where you would find the latest tested to be good for your notebook

The reasoning behind the 2 partition on your OS hard drive is to make imaging your OS Partition smaller faster and easier. I would use Minitool Partition Wizard Free Version. Move every thing off that D: partition you want to remove, to the C: partition or to another hard drive. Then delete the D: partition, then expand your C: partition into the unallocated space. Do not delete any of the other partition!!!! Your system is UEFI and the other partitions are needed to boot and restore window and restore Asus.

In fact I would recommend that you get Asus Backtracker (http://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1008641/)and create a restore to factory condition media this will bail you out should you screw up. Otherwise its great to have should you want to sell your notebook in the future.

Otherwise imaging your C: and OS hard drive is very simple and free using Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)

Grantman
02-24-2015, 09:18 AM
Hi,
I received my g751 a few days ago. It is pretty nice not to have thermal issues in a laptop. I am coming from the mac world of machines, so this is all pretty new. I have a couple questions for anyone nice enough to answer:
1) what the heck is that button above the esc key? I keep hitting it accidently. Is it doing something wierd or no?

2) Is there an easy way to un-partition the hard drive? I bought with just the one non-SSD drive, but it appears to have been pre formated into two partitions...not sure of the point.

3) I did check my current bios version (shipped with 205), but how do i check the currency of all the other stuff? All the other hardware drivers, especially the asus -supplied stuff. (I already updated the nvidia drivers, using nvidia's latest set).

4)What is with the strange Steam skin that appears when you hit the dedicated Steam button? Is there some way to change the behavior or appearance? It strikes me as unwieldy and unecessarily simplified from the standard steam interface.

So far this beast has been great. Runs anything i can toss at it, at very high settings, with no issues at all.

Thank you!

I used the built in windows partition manager to delete the empty partitions and extend the primary partitions. Easy to do after a google.