PDA

View Full Version : Lag Spikes on my new G551, on my old Dell I had none (help appreciated)

Chris4193
02-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Dear ROG-Community,

I just bought my Asus GL551JK-CN128H Gaming-Notebook, but I can not play Online-Games due to ping spikes :/
I am not a computer expert, so I would appreciate your support a lot!

Problem:
Lag Spikes while playing Guild Wars 2, League of Legends, and some more. My Ping rises from 40 to 180/200 for 1 Second and then gets back to usual. In Guild Wars 2 it even lags for about 3-4 seconds.
With my old notebook, an Inspiron15 from Dell I did not have this issue. I am connected by Wifi, connecting via Ethernet did not help either.

Asus GL551JK:
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM: 16 GB
SSD Size: 256 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M (4 GB DDR3 VRAM)
Size (LWH): 10 inches, 15 inches, 0.6 inches
Weight: 6 pounds
Battery Type: Lithium ion
Wireless Type: 802.11 a/b/g/n

I hope you can help me to fix that problem.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Christian

Predy
04-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Bump*
Same problem. Changig network drivers had no effect.

OCFreak
04-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Some possible reasons:

1: Asus preinstall mcafee antivirus - get rid of that malware ASAP. Has cause me lagspikes on any laptop I've had. I use the stanrad microsoft security essentials included in the OS only, no problems.

2: Regular HDD, som regular harddrives cause these lagspikes cause they spin down too often, and then the game lags while the HDD spins back up. Replace the HDD with an SSD ;) or try to chenge the power properties of the HDD to not spin down that often.

3: Atheros wifi has cause all sorts of issues for me, not sure which one you have, but if you have atheros that might be the reason. I usually change to intel wifi card in my laptops, intel may not be perfect either, but they are the best available.