PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Feedback on using G74SX in Music Production

greggd
11-14-2011, 04:41 AM
I'm planning on migrating my home studio to the G74SX, and I would really appreciate any tips on what does and doesn't work well (i.e. NVidea HD sound card? / AD interface interface issues, driver problems, etc.) I'd appreciate not having to make expensive mistakes on equipment I can't afford to replace. So far I'm thinking Cubase 6 (64bit), RME-MOTU-or Focusrite interface USB 2. Thanks

G74SX i7 2363 / 8Gig Ram / 750 Gig HD 7200
NVidea HD Audio Card / GE Force GTX 560M Video

dstrakele
11-14-2011, 04:44 AM
You ought to get in touch with 380mcn. I think that's how he's using his G74SX...

EDIT: I got that wrong. midihooker is the guy you should connect with...

380mcn
11-14-2011, 10:00 PM
yes, i'm not the most qualified person, although i do a little video production and with the G74 i think you'll need an external sound card because in this model you don't have SPDIF IN / OUT, neither hdmi in, and only 2 audio jacks.. IMHO this is not a laptop for your work. but, like i said, whith a dedicated usb soundcard you will get things done..

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 10:42 PM
My dock has a built in sound card and it's pretty good, too. So maybe get a dock and kill 2 or 5 birds with one stone. :D

greggd
11-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks to all who replied on this page, I appreciate the responses. The concensus seems to be a sound card, however (and this is my fault for not being detailed enough in my description), I'll be using an A/D interface that will send the audio via USB into the recording software. I'm just a little apprehensive because over the years I've found that when you start loading esoteric apps and drivers the old driver neighborhood tends to get touchy. Thanks again.

cntower
08-25-2012, 03:39 AM
ya Im in the same boat greggd. Ive been going over the spec sheets with an engineer friend of mine who specializes in digital audio, but I always run up against the brick wall of whether or not there will be some obscure driver in there that will make my whole system go unstable. the best we've been able to come up with in theory just looking at spec sheets was the g55 coupled with a USB 2.0 presonus 44VSL which has a lower number of I/O and theoretically should be able to perform at an acceptable latency. but like Ive been posting all over lol, any info anyone has would be so great. personal experience with this is what it all boils down to. Ill leave any updates I find out as I hopefully gain more knowledge in this descision.