PDA

View Full Version : G751 - are you happy 'n satisfied?

nightbass
02-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Hi guys, this week I'm about to buy either MSI GT72 or Asus G751. I really like the Asus beast but after seeing this forum I feel uncomfortable due to all reported issues (USB 3.0, AC WLAN, BIOS brick, line-in audio, subwoofer, etc).

What do you think about your G751, was it worth your money?

Thank you in advance for your honest opinion.

Prostar Computer
02-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Laptops are a little like cars: Certain years a model can really shine, while others the same model can have recalls, problems, etc.

The G751 is a very capable laptop, but there are some reported idiosyncrasies with it. The GT72 has been pretty well received and is worth weighing against the G751. Keep researching and see what people here say. With us being a reseller of both systems, I'm unbiased, but I can say that the GT72 is a great contender if you're going to reconsider.

NitroX
02-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Hi guys, this week I'm about to buy either MSI GT72 or Asus G751. I really like the Asus beast but after seeing this forum I feel uncomfortable due to all reported issues (USB 3.0, AC WLAN, BIOS brick, line-in audio, subwoofer, etc).

What do you think about your G751, was it worth your money?

Thank you in advance for your honest opinion.

None of those problems are quite dela-breakers.
1) For the USB 3.0 is just one USB from the two on the left that doesn't work with external HDDs. This leaves you 3 more USB 3.0's to use.
2) For the WLAN I know for a fact that the guys over here have found a solution.
3) BIOS Brick-ing... it really happens in 0.1% of the cases. I don't really know how the guy actually managed to brick his BIOS since flashing with WInFlash is pretty straight forward.
4) Line-In Audio, yep.. this is a problem if you plan to connect your phone/tablet to the laptop and listen to music on it's internal speakers. But you can always use an USB Sound Card like Creative Omni which is also better for sound clarity and equalization for 5.1 systems.
5) The subwoofer problem got solved but now there is indeed a small annoying issue with the internal speakers which make a tiny sound each time a media file is opened. But this is a software issue and it will be solved in future driver updates (hopefully).

Apar from those disadvantages that do have a solution there are a few things that can't be dealt with in such a easy manner:

1) The bleeding of the IPS screen. If you want to get a G751 be sure to check it first for screen bleeding as it can be very annoying and pronounced on some models. This is the mainly reason for most of the returns that people have made (including myself). Now I am running on a bleeding free display (thank God!).

2) The CPU/GPU temps. These parameters differ from laptop to laptop and person to person because of the many factors that influence the results but you should test the laptop for very high temps that might get your hardware into throttle (like over 90C). An average 75/80C while gaming should be fine. From there you can get better temps by Undervolting/Underclocking/Using NBFC to control the fans.

3) There have been issues with the touchpad being raised over the palm rest and some guys said that the touchpad started coming of. I didn't quite understand how that was possible but you should check so that the touchpad doesn't have any corners that come over the edge of the palmrest.

4) If you wanna buy a model with SSD be sure to ask if it comes with a PCIe SSD or a SataIII SSD. If it comes with PCIe then it is worth paying the extra bucks. If not, than just go for the cheaper model without SSD and buy an SSD separately because I have seen people paying 300$ for a SATAIII 128GB Sank-Disk SSD which in fact is less 150$ (these marketing strategies...).

5) The maintenance is pretty reduced since you only have access to the HDD bays and the two additional free RAM slots. If you want to clean your laptop you have to disassemble it which isn't quite difficult but it isn't easy either.

And I think that should cover most of the problems that I've read/encountered with the G751. There are also some people that got some DOA products but let's be honest, this is quite inevitable even with overpriced laptops like Alienware.

Since I've only said the worst until now, I will also say a bit of the good parts. Well, compared to the MSI (considering Notebookcheck's Reviews on both models), I can say that the G751 definitely has a much better display. I personally like the keyboard layout very much on the G751 and the key response is very good even for games (I do have great difficulties right now if I want to use a normal Desktop keyboard :)) ). The temps of the two units seem to be quite equal from what I've seen in tests but the G751 is a bit quieter. If you are willing to trade quiet for cooler you can use NBFC and get a much cooler laptop. Now, speaking of the WLAN I can say that I've got an incredible good reception in my home and at the faculty. I can find routers that are quite far and when I'm using the internet all other people are begging me to close it so they could get some signal too :)). While speaking of the performance, well, I cannot say that this beast isn't performing at the level I hoped. It is running all things that I throw at it with good FPS and ultra details. And furthermore, I do like the design of the G751 more than the MSI's eventhough we are striving to keep it free from fingerprints... Aand, we are also glad that we don't have Optimus on the G751 as optimus still has some problems while running certain apps.

uofaboy
02-24-2015, 11:30 PM
I've had the ASUS G751JY for a week now and am pretty satisfied with it, also with it being my first ASUS laptop.

pokerface
02-25-2015, 12:13 AM
don't get it, you'll regret every moment you did

dodgy USB ports in a top of the line flagship laptop

lot of black screens when booting required me to force shutdown to make it boot, happened to often on both a clean install and the factory image

the USB bug caused a total freeze on my laptop, it's not just disconnecting, with my Western Digital 10th anniversary 2TB USB 3.0 external HDD, it was a living nightmare and no I don't want to connect it to other ports, if I buy a 3000 USD laptop, everything has to work

only 1 port for the storage drives is SATA III, the one on the right is SATA II! really!?!?! who's idea was this to put a SATA II port in a premium gaming laptop when even the low end laptops now all have SATA III!

Swarmy
02-25-2015, 01:24 AM
I got both JY and JT models, and so far am very happy with both. No bleed, updated BIOS and audio drivers on both and no issues. Love the looks and the feel. Only things that I do not like is the record button that I hit every time I try to hit esc, and the sparsity of BIOS.

One thing that might matter to some is the fact that MSI has MQ procs and asus has HQ. HQ are sautered on and are nonupgradeable. I have owned a lot of laptops, and by the time I feel like I could use an upgrade in CPU, a new laptop makes a lot more sense.

NitroX covered all the main points I believe.

*Edit* I have to say, the screen is one of the best and most clear I have ever had a pleasure of seeing. I dont know exactly what it is, but when I go to my y580 for any reason I immediately see the difference.

HulkSmash
02-25-2015, 01:39 AM
I've posted in so many threads like this already lol...But here we go again with my 2 cents.

I got my JT from Amazon. Not a single problem aside from the initial sound which has been fixed with drivers. No USB problems. No IPS bleed. No touch pad problems. And my wifi card works fine, but don't know about speeds, my net is only 20mbps (it gets the maximum, but I have no idea how it would perform over a better speed)... I feel like this is a much more durable and better built system than the GT72. Not to mention the cooling is superior (which is extremely important in a gaming laptop).

Also, if there are any issues, Amazon has MF amazing customer support.

EDIT: Also, upgrading is always awesome and it saves money. But I don't think we are there yet, with laptops that is...

I had a G75 previous to my G751. I bought my JT for $1500, and sold my G75 for $600. So let's say I paid $900 for my JT. An upgrade kit for the MSI computers are around $800-1000 for the video card. With very simple math here, we are pretty much breaking even pricewise, and you have a brand new computer.

That is unless you are planning to keep the old unit, but I don't see much point to that; at least for me, the old one would be sitting around collecting dust.

Clintlgm
02-25-2015, 01:55 AM
Nightbass, let me throw this in. You have to take these support forums for what they are. Most of the units sold never have any issues. The ones you see here as you can see are few and you'll get a good Idea of what to look for if your buying from a store or to test for as soon as you get it. While your still in the Return to seller period. For the most part people that come here are having problems the ones that aren't don't need us.
I personaly am still on a G75VW, I did have two RMA's with this one the 2nd one fixed everything with the help of our friend cl-albert. I was just about to jump on the G751 but the SATA II on the 2nd hard drive slot turned me off. I'm still quite happy with my G75 until the next generation. This one won't be 3 years old until July so next fall I think they have another Generation maybe then for me, I usually get a new one every 3 years but I don't think I would have any problem getting 4 years out of this one.

RogueNote
02-25-2015, 06:00 AM
I have the G751JT and on my second day of using it with all the drivers up to date and I love it so far, especially the sound after the Audio Driver update.
Did not experience any USB issues or anything like that, only have a small light bleeding on the lower corners but doesn't really bother me, hope it won't extend though.

Anyone with a G751JT using the updated NVIDIA drivers from their experience updater? I currently use the one from the ASUS website but was wondering if anybody has any gaming performance raised with the NVidia updates. :)

BigDRim
02-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Anyone with a G751JT using the updated NVIDIA drivers from their experience updater? I currently use the one from the ASUS website but was wondering if anybody has any gaming performance raised with the NVidia updates. :)

There is no noticeable improvements. There is MFAA though. But no overclock.

NitroX
02-25-2015, 03:44 PM
There is no noticeable improvements. There is MFAA though. But no overclock.

MFAA was there since 344.75

BigDRim
02-25-2015, 04:11 PM
MFAA was there since 344.75

Yes but MFAA expanded support works only from 347.xx. And G751 first driver is 344.00 anyway.

Boaz Beatz
02-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Only have small bleeding on mine but my laptop screen cracked so had to send it back and got back a screen with abit of bleeding but i cant send it back and it takes to long so yeah but the other one i had had no bleeding but 2 or 3 dead pixels so im happy about the laptop now. My question is can bleeding spread?

Pahani
02-25-2015, 08:23 PM
I've posted in so many threads like this already lol...But here we go again with my 2 cents.

I got my JT from Amazon. Not a single problem aside from the initial sound which has been fixed with drivers. No USB problems. No IPS bleed. No touch pad problems. And my wifi card works fine, but don't know about speeds, my net is only 20mbps (it gets the maximum, but I have no idea how it would perform over a better speed)... I feel like this is a much more durable and better built system than the GT72. Not to mention the cooling is superior (which is extremely important in a gaming laptop).

Also, if there are any issues, Amazon has MF amazing customer support.

EDIT: Also, upgrading is always awesome and it saves money. But I don't think we are there yet, with laptops that is...

I had a G75 previous to my G751. I bought my JT for $1500, and sold my G75 for $600. So let's say I paid $900 for my JT. An upgrade kit for the MSI computers are around $800-1000 for the video card. With very simple math here, we are pretty much breaking even pricewise, and you have a brand new computer.

That is unless you are planning to keep the old unit, but I don't see much point to that; at least for me, the old one would be sitting around collecting dust.

I also just bought a G751JY from Amazon, and so far have had no problems with it! Of course, I have had it for exactly a day so far :p

Responding to Hulk's question of 802.11 AC WiFi speeds, my JY is recording 110 MBPS using the tester built into Game First. This is just a small tick behind the 116 or so my Maximus 7 Formula PC records with a WIRED connection, which greatly surprises me.

Speaking of which, my monster Z97 PC is down >.< I'm having trouble troubleshooting it, mostly due to lack of time or energy on my days off. The $250 Wal-Mart Special laptop I was using as a backup machine was driving me totally bonkers!!! Hence my JY purchase, and it is curently being used literally as a desktop replacement.

Wired Razer mouse and keyboard, and the crown jewel, it's connected to my LG 34UM95 monitor via a mini-Displayport to Displayport cable.

FPS in the game I play is roughly half what I normally get with my SLI 780 6GB rig. BUT it pushes my 3440 X 1440 admirably, mid 70s to 80C while gaming so far.

So, while my PC is superior in every way to my new JY, I am very pleased with my purchase so far! This is also my first experience with PCIE SSD, and the hype is well founded. Boot times are surprisingly quick, compared to the 840 Evo 1TB in my PC.

I haven't yet updated the audio driver, and I would say the sound quality through my Logitech Z906 5.1 system is....above average. The Supreme FX in the dexktop board is a glaringly evident leap up the evolutionary ladder. Supreme FX sounds great!!

Overall, this JY is a quite pleasant replacement while my 4790K desktop is down. I am not enamored with the screen.....but once you've played on this big LG, nothing else will quite do anyway :p It drives this screen pretty nicely, and the popular 27" 2560 X 1440 displays should be no problem.

mesab2000
02-26-2015, 01:54 AM
This is my 2nd Asus lapotop. I still have my G51JX which is 5 years old and treated me very well. I wanted something more up to date and faster so I purchased a 751JT. So far after a little over a week, I am very pleased. I have very little screen bleed. Otherwise everything else is working perfect. I am using the stock 1TB drive for storage and my OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD.