PDA

View Full Version : How to recover my Windows 8.1 License

Linkincyde
02-25-2015, 10:13 AM
I have installed a new SSD to my ASUS G750 laptop. All is working well, I used ASUS bactracker to backup my OS. But unfortunately, my Samsung SSD 850 pro was corrupted when I tried to update the firmware. Now, how can I recover my Windows 8.1 License, since the USB that I used in ASUS Backtracker is already formatted? Thank you.

toronto699
02-25-2015, 03:34 PM
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

hmscott
02-25-2015, 05:43 PM
I have installed a new SSD to my ASUS G750 laptop. All is working well, I used ASUS bactracker to backup my OS. But unfortunately, my Samsung SSD 850 pro was corrupted when I tried to update the firmware. Now, how can I recover my Windows 8.1 License, since the USB that I used in ASUS Backtracker is already formatted? Thank you.

Linkincyde, when you say "all is working well", do you mean all was working well, and now you have no bootable OS? If you have the original HDD/SSD that came with the system, you can temporarily put it back in and create another Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive and rebuild your Samsung 850 again.

If you are still in the warranty period you can RMA to Asus and they will reload your original HDD/SSD that came with the G750 with the OS, and then when you get it back you can create an Asus Backtracker Backup.

If you just bought the laptop you can take it back and get another one, if you are within the return period.

Installing the OS from scratch, and installing all the drivers / apps, Windows updates, etc, will be time consuming and you might miss something. Be sure and check functionality for all your ports when you do the build yourself.

torronto699's links should be enough to get started with the base OS install, your Windows license is built in to the laptop, and the OS install will recognize it and activate.

Good luck, and please come back and let us know how it works out for you :)

Linkincyde
02-26-2015, 02:40 AM
@hmscott: yes, all is working well until until yesterday when my SSD was corrupted. Now my OS wont boot because it's in SSD, not on the second HDD which i used for storing my files. The problem is I bought this laptop at Amazon US, and im here in Philippines. Is their any othe rway I can recover my license? Im planning to install the OS from scratch, license is my problem. :(

hozer
02-27-2015, 10:56 PM
use this progie worked for me: Download Belarc Advisor

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-8-product-key.htm

Linkincyde
02-28-2015, 04:25 AM
Thank you hozer. Im gonna try this. Hope this works for me too.

GottiBoi55
02-28-2015, 06:00 AM
This will show you your OEM product key, using this "command prompt".
Note: you can only use your product key on the windows version that came installed from the factory.

1. Open command prompt as administrator.
2. Copy and paste the command below, then hit enter.

powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey"

Hope this helps you my friend?

Linkincyde
03-01-2015, 02:20 AM
@GottiBoi55: It's working! Thank you! You're a genius! :)

Btw, how can I change the logo of Windows to ROG while booting? And how do I add the "Asus" logo in "System" window?

GottiBoi55
03-01-2015, 05:05 AM
You are welcome my friend!

You cane change the "Lock Screen", but the "Sign in screen" is a different story.
To change the "sign in screen" you need to edit the registry, I advise to leave that as is.

Now to change Lock Screen.
1. Open the charms.
2. Click on search
3. Type "Lock screen" in search.
4. Click on "Change the picture of your lock screen".
5. Click on "Browse"
6. Then just select the picture/wallpaper you what to change from your picture/wallpaper files.

This should give you what you are looking for.

I have this as my Lock screen

Linkincyde
03-01-2015, 05:32 AM
what i meant is that when you switch on the laptop, it should display the ROG logo, not windows logo.

GottiBoi55
03-01-2015, 06:21 AM
what i meant is that when you switch on the laptop, it should display the ROG logo, not windows logo.

Sorry, my bad on the misread.
The Asus logo is embedded in the BIOS.
Maybe if you update to the latest BIOS version it will return.