PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a G750JS... Not so impressed

jjl5590
02-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Hey guys,

Apologies up front for the long post. Feel free to not read all of it :p

Long story short, I was robbed and had my beloved Dell L702x stolen from me. I was forced to buy a new laptop and decided to splash out on the Asus G750JS.

16GB Ram, 3GB GTX870m, 1.5TB HDD. Pretty high spec, but then again it did cost me my left arm. I'm now an even poorer student. Not a huge upgrade from my XPS 17, mostly just the processor and graphics (the Dell only had a GT555m).

As the title to this thread suggests, I am not so impressed. Here are a list of reasons as to why I am not impressed with this >1100 machine (feel free not to read it all):

1. Tinny built-in sound. The subwoofer does nothing uless I load up AudioWizard, and then it just sounds muddy. Do I really have to load up this software every time I want to use the built-in speakers?

2. There is no difference in the two lowest brightness settings. Is there any way to make the screen dimmer than the lowest?

3. There is very litle variation in sound when using the on-board volume changer. The usable range is only about 0-10, not 0-100 as it should be.

4. Is there any way to configure tap zones on the touchpad? I could configure each corner on the Dell. I've tried installing Synaptics but it didn't help.

5. Does anyone know where the air intake is on the laptop? Are the rear exhaust ports multi-purpose?

6. Is there any way to use the function keys without holding down Fn? On the Dell I could set it to do that in the BIOS. I cannot reach the Fn+Vol Up key with one hand, and have to use two which is annoying sometimes.

7. The GPU consistently reaches temperatures of 90C whilst playing Arkham Origins on medium settings. Is this normal?

8. I bought Evolve and have to play it on low-medium settings. I know the GTX870m isn't the best, but seriously?!

9. And finally, my BIGGEST problem with this machine, is the constant STUTTERING of videos, whether being played online or on VLC, for example. They always stutter for a split second, about every 30 seconds. It's rediculously annoying.

Any help with any of my 9 problems would be greatly appreciated!

Prostar Computer
02-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your first impressions, jj. A couple of quick things I can address:

3. There is very litle variation in sound when using the on-board volume changer. The usable range is only about 0-10, not 0-100 as it should be.
On-board as in the volume hotkeys? They're suppose to adjust the Windows playback volume directly, which would be that 0 - 100 scale you mentioned. If you meant something else, do elaborate, please. :)

5. Does anyone know where the air intake is on the laptop? Are the rear exhaust ports multi-purpose?
The laptop takes in air at the bottom and exhausts out the back.

7. The GPU consistently reaches temperatures of 90C whilst playing Arkham Origins on medium settings. Is this normal?
That ("normal") depends. If you have the laptop on a hard, flat surface, where the fans can do their job properly, then no. If you're using the laptop on your lap, a bed sheet, or anything where fabric of some kind can block the vents, then sure, and worse is possible if that's the case.

Demanding gaming may push the laptop into the 80s C. While 90 C is not exactly dangerous, it's a little excessive.

8. I bought Evolve and have to play it on low-medium settings. I know the GTX870m isn't the best, but seriously?!
Something is not right. It could be something simple, like a driver. You should be getting around 40 FPS on ultra in that game with your rig.

9. And finally, my BIGGEST problem with this machine, is the constant STUTTERING of videos, whether being played online or on VLC, for example. They always stutter for a split second, about every 30 seconds. It's rediculously annoying.
I'm seeing a pattern here. Reinstall your video drivers (Intel and NVidia) and see whether that helps or not.

Minna
02-27-2015, 09:29 AM
Hi,
since I am searching for a new notebook for multimedia purposes, I read your post with interest.
For me, it is important to get the raid support.

I read, that raid 0 is supported. For me, raid 1 is more interesting, but I can't find anything about raid usage and -configuration.
Did you configure your raid? Did you see in the raid bios, if raid 1 was chooseable Or could you have a look?

Thanks in advance!!

GottiBoi55
03-01-2015, 06:00 AM
Hey guys,

Apologies up front for the long post. Feel free to not read all of it :p

Long story short, I was robbed and had my beloved Dell L702x stolen from me. I was forced to buy a new laptop and decided to splash out on the Asus G750JS.

Why keep something you are not happy with?
Your dislikes are long, just return it for a refund.
Maybe if you updated to latest correct drivers, you might get better results. (BTW the touch pad is "Elantech" not "Synaptics".
The latest driver updates should correct some issues my friend.

Now I agree on the sound issue, Asus could have done a lot better.
Asus needs to use better quality speakers, IMO.

Hope you work this out.

Here's a link for the correct Driver & Tools (http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JS/HelpDesk_Download/)