PDA

View Full Version : Guide: The G751 new user thread (Clean install)

RogueNote
02-27-2015, 06:06 AM
Greetings, ROGers !
I thought I would make this thread for others like me that just got a G751 (my version is G751JT with SSD and 16GM RAM),
but I think most of these will work for the rest of the G751 users.

I had quite a few issues as I am not that great with PC's so I will write down the steps I did for everything to work decent and avoid any problems on a clean install of Windows 8.1 on ASUS G751.
Hope it will help =)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. So for starters you insert your Windows 8.1 DVD into the bay and then press the ESC key quickly while turning the
laptop on or after Restarting.

2. Doing the first step should bring up the boot options window, choose the UEFI:Matsitabd line and press Enter.
*(Choosing that will avoid the slower boot issue with the flickering upper left corner line)*
Press any key when the message shows up and then just wait for Windows setup to load.

3. Select your Language and Keyboard settings and press Next, accept the license agreement, type in your Windows activation Key.

4. Select Install Windows only then when you get to the partition wizard, delete all the partitions and create a new partition
firstly for the SSD if you plan to install windows there and leave the HDD one un-partitioned as you can create a partition for it after windows installs, from what I understand this way is better so Windows won't create boot files on the HDD partition or
something like that.

5.After finishing the upper step, wait for windows to get the setup ready and once you pass the Personalise step in Windows Setup
and get to the window where you are able to choose Express Settings or Custom, go for custom.

6. Disable Windows updates by changing the "Automatically get and install updates for drivers" or else you might get Windows to install drivers silently and you don't want that as you will install them yourself from ASUS.

7. After the upper steps you should be done by now with setting up Windows and be on your Desktop. I suggest a Restart now before doing anything else and after the restart go to Control Panel > Windows Updates and perform an Updates search.
*( I tend to go first to Windows Defender and check for updates at it first then go to Windows updates but that
is just a personal preference.)*

8. Install all selected updates from Important but Hide if you have any Driver updates and press Restart when updates are done and you are being asked. After the restart go back and search again making sure you have no more updates at Important.
Now go to the Optional ones and install the one that has around 700mb. Restart and go back and install any updates that are left.
If you wanna be safe do a search again to make sure you are not missing any, doing the upper steps should get all updates installed correctly and none failing.

9. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off and check the first box that says
.NET Framework 3.5 and press OK, then when asked where do you want to get them from ,
choose Download from Windows Updates.
After installing and Restarting (even if it does not ask a Restart is good after each install or driver update.) search for windows updates again and install any updates that show up after the installation of .NET Frameworks 3.5

10. Restart and get ready to install the drivers from ASUS.
Download the drivers from the below link and install them in the order below. Chipset is recommended always as the first.

Reminder: Please do a restart after each driver has installed especially when it asks you and DO NOT install 2 one after another and then do a restart for both as that can cause issues.
ASUS Drivers link for G751 models: http://www.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=g751

*01 - Intel Chipset Drivers.
*02 - Intel Collaborative Processor Performance Control Driver (You will find 02 to 05 in the Others section )
*03 - Intel Management Engine Interface
*04 - Intel Rapid Storage technology Driver
(For intel rapid storage, right cklick on PNPINST64.exe then right click and choose Run as Administrator and reboot when asked.
After reboot go back to the same folder and right click on IRSTPatch.exe then choose Run as Administrator and reboot again after. It doesn't seem to show anything after you run it so just reboot after.)

*05 - Thunderbolt Driver
*06 - ATK Driver
*07 - Realtek Audio Driver (look at the driver version and make sure it is the latest one to have the audio fix.)
*08 - Realtek LAN Driver
*09 - Intel WIFI WLAN Driver or Atheros or Broadcom depending on your laptop model.
*10 - Intel Bluetooth Driver or Atheros or Broadcom, again depending on your laptop model.
*11 - ASUS Wireless Radio Control
*12 - Genesys Multi-Card Reader Driver
*13 - Elantec Touchpad Driver (When asked for permission please make sure you uncheck for it to always ask or you might
encounter it to ask after every reboot, if it asks after the first reboot make sure to uncheck again and it should not ask again.)

Hope this will be helpful to someone.
Special thanks to pokerface for helping me with my G751JT with his G751JY Guide at first wouldn't of had any idea what to do on many steps if it wasn't him.
If you want a more specific G751JY guide try searching google for G751JY windows 8.1 clean install.

GUIDE PART 2 ON LOWER POST!

RogueNote
02-27-2015, 06:11 AM
PART 2.
I have made a second post as on this part of the guide I would highly appreciate feedback on the steps I will put as I myself am not sure on many here so I will give more options. Thank you for reading so far. =)
I will type sentences with green where I hope to get some replies and feedback from willing users.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*14 - NVidia GeForce Driver ( I did not install this one from the site but from the DVD I got in the box as they are the same
version and it installed it for me without any issues as from the ASUS site I have had an issue with NVIDIA Experience. Also ended up updating to latest version through Nvidia Experience.)

* Users recommend having the updated Nvidia drivers so if you want those just download from their site or you can do the way I have mentioned upper and just Update through Nvidia Experience.

*15 - Download and install the rest from Utilities depending on which you find useful:
01 - ASUS Backtracker (ASUS Backtracker helps you to back up and recover your system's settings)

02 - A entertainment gaming platform to play, connect, create and more ( That would be Steam, you can get it from there or the Steam website. )

03 - ASUS Gaming Center(Launch ASUS apps and easily access settings)
I have this installed but heard it affects some users WIFI? I tried uninstalling just the game first and keept this and I do not have anymore issues so if anyone wants to check if they still have issues keeping just this please let me know how it goes.

04 - ROG Game First III
Not recommended until a fixed one is out as many say it messes with the internet. I have experienced the same issue but only after installing Avast.

05 - ASUS ROG MacroKey (It is a macro, key re-mapper, and automation utility designed to work specifically with gaming notebook)

06 - Keyboard Device Filter Utility

07 - ASUS Live Update Utility Doesn't seem to show anything to me, any confirmation if it works and how ?

08 - ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technology Some users say it can mess up the screen colors, feel free to post your experience with it.

09 - ASUS USB Charger Plus Did not install as I have heard it messes up the USB behavior, true?

10 - PixelMaster Video HDR from Others, installed this but not sure what it is, does it work as an app or something ?

Thank you for reading so far and I hope all this was of use for you, it's not a professional guide I know but might be useful for users like me that just got this type of laptop and are lost and do hundreds of reinstalls.
Thought I would post all issues and steps I had as a new G751JT user.
Have a great day!

BigDRim
02-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Nice guide!

02 - A entertainment gaming platform to play, connect, create and more
*( anyone has an idea what this is and if it is worth it ?)*

It's Steam :)

RogueNote
02-27-2015, 10:59 AM
Ohh, haha thanks. So I'm guessing there is no difference by getting it from there or the official Steam site right ?

BigDRim
02-27-2015, 12:50 PM
It's the same yes.

benjmyers1
02-27-2015, 01:31 PM
you may want to include how to make a UEFI bootable usb drive...as most of us power users probobly make usb3 install drives.....heres a great link to do so
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

NitroX
02-27-2015, 01:33 PM
First of all I want to say that you have made a good job until now and I do encourage you to keep updating this thread with further information. I will also contribute with advice and news on drivers or solutions.

13 - NVidia GeForce Driver ( I did not install this one from the site but from the DVD I got in the box as they are the same
version and it installed it for me without any issues as from the site I have had an issue with NVIDIA Experience.) Don't forget to restart.
*( Many say to keep the ASUS drivers and some say you can update through NVIDIA Experience and if so should it be a Clean option update or Recommended and keep current settings? Any feedback and opinions you have for this please post and I will update here. )*

It is highly recommended to download the latest drivers from Nvidia's site geforce.com or by using the GeForce Experience app. ASUS doesn't always update the video drivers and the ones that you find on ASUS's website are the same official drivers from NVidia. I would also put here a highlight with the G-SYnc Modded drivers and the DSR Patch (which was just released yesterday by Gamenab). You can use this link from my OneDrive cloud: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F29DB39AE83CBE6D!409&authkey=!AEI30DkQ6KiV798&ithint=folder%2czip

*(I have no issues with this, quite fun filters for the screen)*
I would not recommend using it as it tends to mess up the colors of the screen, but you might want a second opinion on this one.

*(Not the best if you really want to be protected as even Microsoft doesn't recommend it from what I have heard but if you browse safe you should be ok? Correct me fellow ROGers if I am wrong. )*

I have been using Microsoft's Windows Defender for more than 2 years and I haven't ever got a problem. I am also quite careful with the sites that I'm visiting but I consider it is more than enough for experienced users. I don't even think that Microsoft would have had any intention of says that their antivirus is one of the best since they don't even get money for it as other known brands.
But, I do highly recommend an original Antivirus for people that are using their laptops for work/important projects/confidential information/etc. People that usually will have more to lose than just a few hours to reinstall the Windows if anything does happen after all.
Also I do recommend an Antivirus with some kind of "SafePay" option for people that access their accounts from the laptop.

What can I say for sure is that there isn't any perfect antivirus/antimalware/antispyware program. They are all quite the same with just different features that might be helpful or not for the end user.

PS: I would also add "QuietHDD" on the list of important apps as it solves many of the HDDs problems like clicking sound and/or stutters in games if the games are installed on the HDD. Link to the official site: https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

mreyna569
02-27-2015, 01:46 PM
I dont have a Windows n8m1 dvd
How would i bring up the boot options?

NitroX
02-27-2015, 01:56 PM
I dont have a Windows n8m1 dvd
How would i bring up the boot options?

If you are installing it from an USB Stick then you just have to hit "Del" after a system restart in order to enter BIOS and from there you can go to Boot Options.

mreyna569
02-27-2015, 04:08 PM
Thank you!

mreyna569
02-28-2015, 09:19 PM
I ran IRSTPatch as administrator but there was no reboot like PNPINST64. is that normal? and if so, do i just restart it?

mreyna569
02-28-2015, 09:28 PM
I ran IRSTPatch as admin bur didnt get any reboot like (didn't seem to do anything) PNPINST64. IS that normal? if so do i just restart it?

RogueNote
02-28-2015, 10:59 PM
I ran IRSTPatch as admin bur didnt get any reboot like (didn't seem to do anything) PNPINST64. IS that normal? if so do i just restart it?
Yeah I think it's normal, it didn't do nothing at me either so I just rebooted after and installed the next ones.
Also don't forget the ATK one =)

2menijulia
03-01-2015, 10:42 AM
after a clean install and after update..anybody have issues during restart? during restart... the screen would go blank..and only can see a mouse cursor..but after a few long minutes..it would go to log in... please help

also i would like to ask about the GSYNC and DSR Patches.. is it ok for the G751-CH71 model?

hmscott
03-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Guys, there is no need to do a from scratch install of Windows on your new ROG Laptop, if it already came with Windows installed :)

I don't know why this is a sticky, as it suggests that it is something everyone should do, in actuality, it is something no one should need to do :)

There are Asus apps that can be uninstalled, the Gaming Center and ROG Game First III come to mind, as they have caused lag issues in network gaming, but it may only be a matter of tuning to fix them.

Uninstall Asus Splendid messes with colors, use the ICC profile, but uninstall the rest.

Uninstall Asus Live Update, it doesn't do anything - updates don't come.

Uninstall any other Asus app you don't want / need.

Otherwise the base Windows OS install is fine tuned by Asus engineers - the engineers that work at the place that designed and built the laptop. Asus has done millions of installs and hundreds of image configs over the years, and continues to refine and issue updates as needed.

How could you hope do better? You can only hope to do as well. There is no functional or performance improvement reason to do your own Windows install.

Unless you are an OS Imaging Engineer yourself (I am), and do it to hone your skills on a new laptop, why would you want to waste time reinstalling Windows from scratch? :)

Enjoy your laptop, the Windows install is great as it is. Uninstall what you don't want and install your games / apps and enjoy the laptop :)

hmscott
03-01-2015, 07:45 PM
RogueNote has this as step 15, in post 2, when it really should be item #1 :)

Create a USB 3.0 16GB Recovery Flash drive backup with Asus Backtracker.

It really is the first thing every owner of a new ROG laptop should do, before anything else, to make sure you can recover from a disk failure or some other OS corruption failure. If your laptop isn't bootable, and the F9 refresh/reset doesn't work, you need the Flash recovery media to boot on and reinstall the Asus Windows OS install.

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

You can also put the original OS boot disk on the shelf as a backup, the 1TB drive is cheap, like $50 these days.

It makes no sense to blow away your recovery media by re-installing Windows from scratch over the recovery partition located on your original boot drive. Use Asus Backtracker first to create the USB 3.0 16GB Bootable Recovery Flash drive.

We get people coming to the forums all the time asking how to get the original Asus OS recovery install back. They blew away the original OS boot drive before they realized the Recovery Partition with the OS install media was there. And, Asus won't send recovery DVD's, and Asus won't restore the OS to your HDD/SSD alone, you have to send the entire laptop in to Asus for RMA to get the Asus OS Build reinstalled.

Before this happens to you, please create a Flash Recovery drive using Asus Backtracker :)

RogueNote
03-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Guys, there is no need to do a from scratch install of Windows on your new ROG Laptop.

I don't know why this is a sticky, as it suggests that it is something everyone should do, in actuality, it is something no one should need to do :)

There are Asus apps that can be uninstalled, the Gaming Center and ROG Game First III come to mind, as they have caused lag issues in network gaming, but it may only be a matter of tuning to fix them.

Uninstall Asus Splendid messes with colors, use the ICC profile, but uninstall the rest.

Uninstall Asus Live Update, it doesn't do anything - updates don't come.

Uninstall any other Asus app you don't want / need.

Otherwise the base Windows OS install is fine tuned by Asus engineers - the engineers that work at the place that designed and built the laptop. Asus has done millions of installs and hundreds of image configs over the years, and continues to refine and issue updates as needed.

How could you hope do better? You can only hope to do as well. There is no functional or performance improvement reason to do your own Windows install.

Unless you are an OS Imaging Engineer yourself (I am), and do it to hone your skills on a new laptop, why would you want to waste time reinstalling Windows from scratch? :)

Enjoy your laptop, the Windows install is great as it is. Uninstall what you don't want and install your games / apps and enjoy the laptop :)

Hello there ^^

First of all thank you for the reply and I am sorry that the thead is not specific enough, I mentioned it is not made by a pro.^^

But to clear stuff out a bit I never said a clean install is what everyone should do, I have done this guide mainly for the users that did not buy their ASUS G751 with Windows already on it. I got mine with FreeDOS for example and had to get Windows separately.
I did not find a model that had Windows on it at the time of my purchase.

Also I agree that users already having Windows and a recovery partition on their laptop are best off with keeping jt as indeed Asus did set it up there better then I or most could from scratch. As mentioned upper this thread was with what steps I went through and what I learned from mistakes as a user that was not lucky enough to find a model with installed Windows and had to do these extra stuff ^^

RogueNote
03-01-2015, 10:47 PM
RogueNote has this as step 15, in post 2, when it really should be item #1 :)

Create a USB 3.0 16GB Recovery Flash drive backup with Asus Backtracker.

It really is the first thing every owner of a new ROG laptop should do, before anything else, to make sure you can recover from a disk failure or some other OS corruption failure. If your laptop isn't bootable, and the F9 refresh/reset doesn't work, you need the Flash recovery media to boot on and reinstall the Asus Windows OS install.

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

You can also put the original OS boot disk on the shelf as a backup, the 1TB drive is cheap, like $50 these days.

It makes no sense to blow away your recovery media by re-installing Windows from scratch over the recovery partition located on your original boot drive. Use Asus Backtracker first to create the USB 3.0 16GB Bootable Recovery Flash drive.

We get people coming to the forums all the time asking how to get the original Asus OS recovery install back. They blew away the original OS boot drive before they realized the Recovery Partition with the OS install media was there. And, Asus won't send recovery DVD's, and Asus won't restore the OS to your HDD/SSD alone, you have to send the entire laptop in to Asus for RMA to get the Asus OS Build reinstalled.

Before this happens to you, please create a Flash Recovery drive using Asus Backtracker :)

Yes I do not have the step as the first one for the reason that this thread is for users that did not get a laptop with the OS already installed out of the box and they cannot use it right away as they do not have what to backup. So I left it as one of the last based by the category of the download page and for when an OS would be installed along with others that they can perform a backup on. :)

Thank you for making me aware people might get the purpose of this thread wrong I will specify in the post it is recommended for users that do not have any OS out of the box with their laptop model.

hmscott
03-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Yes I do not have the step as the first one for the reason that this thread is for users that did not get a laptop with the OS already installed out of the box and they cannot use it right away as they do not have what to backup. So I left it as one of the last based by the category of the download page and for when an OS would be installed along with others that they can perform a backup on. :)
Thank you for making me aware people might get the purpose of this thread wrong I will specify in the post it is recommended for users that do not have any OS out of the box with their laptop model.

RogueNote, this is how you start the 1st post:

" Guide: The G751 new user thread (Clean install)

Greetings, ROGers !
I thought I would make this thread for others like me that just got a G751 (my version is G751JT with SSD and 16GM RAM),
but I think most of these will work for the rest of the G751 users.

I had quite a few issues as I am not that great with PC's so I will write down the steps I did for everything to work decent and avoid any problems on a clean install of Windows 8.1 on ASUS G751.
Hope it will help =)"

Being a Sticky post, and saying to do a Clean Install of Windows, looks like that is the "thing to do", when it isn't. :)

That says nothing about you not having Windows, and only having DOS installed when you purchased it. Just so you know, most of the G751's come with Windows.

Please also add that if you already have Asus Windows Build installed, there is absolutely no benefit to reinstalling Windows over the Asus Build of Windows. Suggest instead uninstalling Game First III to avoid lag in network games, and uninstall Splendid as it messes up color correction, uninstall Asus Live Update, and uninstall any Asus / Cyberlink / McAfee app they don't want - that is enough to make it clean.

And, please remind them to do create an Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery drive, before they need it. :)

Maybe edit the Title to something focused on FreeDOS => Windows Install?

Right now the Title doesn't make much sense as "The G751 new user thread (Clean install)"

Thanks RogueNote. :)

Boaz Beatz
03-03-2015, 01:18 AM
isnt it ESC?

ronralph.bartolome
03-04-2015, 12:02 PM
my friends.. is it safe to have the g sync and dsr patches?

_
03-05-2015, 03:59 AM
The patches are taken from Alpha-drivers. They should not physically break the system, but there is no guarantee it is stable, uncorruptable or tested at all.

2menijulia
03-07-2015, 01:10 PM
thanx marshall... ok for now i do use the g-sync and notice some good videos... only the reported blanks screens when on low fps... but hardware wise...all will be ok?

TigerVBV
03-23-2015, 06:37 PM
Hi great job with this thread.
I have a new G751JT - I7 4710HQ, 16Gb Ram, 128 Gb SSD, 1TB HDD (7200 ) GTX970 3Gb (Romania) and I have a little problem with thunderbolt driver ( from ASUS site). Windows show this message
Thunderbolt (TM) Service cannot be found in Service. Please reinstall the Thunderbolt software package.
I miss something? What thunderbolt software package?

CoderGuy
04-24-2015, 03:50 PM
Thank you for this post, it saved me a LOT of time.

I just bought the G751JY last week and since last week have had to reset Windows 5 times. I have had numerous errors and issues, 100s of problems in my event log, NVidia errors, network errors, etc. On initial setup, I could not even connect to a network. I had to create a local account, and then repair the network 2-3 times before I could finally connect.

I finally decided last night that it had to be a corrupt Windows install from ASUS and used the Windows Media Creation Tool to download an ISO and install.

Following this guide, everything works perfectly now. The Event Log is clean, no errors, fast network. It just confirms my suspicion that the original Windows installation (and recovery apparently) are corrupt.

So again, thank you!

RWK

hmscott
04-24-2015, 04:58 PM
Thank you for this post, it saved me a LOT of time.
I just bought the G751JY last week and since last week have had to reset Windows 5 times. I have had numerous errors and issues, 100s of problems in my event log, NVidia errors, network errors, etc. On initial setup, I could not even connect to a network. I had to create a local account, and then repair the network 2-3 times before I could finally connect.
I finally decided last night that it had to be a corrupt Windows install from ASUS and used the Windows Media Creation Tool to download an ISO and install.
Following this guide, everything works perfectly now. The Event Log is clean, no errors, fast network. It just confirms my suspicion that the original Windows installation (and recovery apparently) are corrupt.
So again, thank you!
RWK

CoderGuy, you should report this to Assu support, this is not the typical experience with the base install - noone else reports such problems.

Doing a reset 5 times, and getting the same result each time, indicates whatever you were doing to update / not update Windows, drivers, apps was consistently causing this situation.

You shouldn't have needed to reinstall Windows from scratch to get it all working.

RogueNote wrote this thread to support owners that got a G751 without Windows - in his region a Windows bundle wasn't available.

This thread wasn't designed to take a good Windows install from Asus and throw it away to start over from scratch :)

I am happy to hear you got your laptop working, but from previous experience I don't think you needed to go such a drastic route.

Did you uninstall ROG Gamefirst III each time? That app messes with network priorities and has been known to generate the kind of errors you were seeing.

Did you update Windows completely, and install the latest Windows 8.1 drivers?

When you said you couldn't even connect to the network out of the box, did you mean Wired Ethernet or Wifi wireless? It isn't unusual to need to update the Wifi driver to the latest version before it will connect - the 7260 is a nasty long struggling wifi card, only now getting drivers that work consistently.

Uninstalling ROG software like ROG Gamefirst III, Splendid, Asus Live Update, etc are good things to remove, but the base Windows install should be fine. 99% of the owners of ROG laptops use it as a base and do updates to make drivers / OS current, and it works fine.

Good luck :)

CoderGuy
04-24-2015, 08:40 PM
CoderGuy, you should report this to Assu support, this is not the typical experience with the base install - noone else reports such problems.

Doing a reset 5 times, and getting the same result each time, indicates whatever you were doing to update / not update Windows, drivers, apps was consistently causing this situation.

You shouldn't have needed to reinstall Windows from scratch to get it all working.

RogueNote wrote this thread to support owners that got a G751 without Windows - in his region a Windows bundle wasn't available.

This thread wasn't designed to take a good Windows install from Asus and throw it away to start over from scratch :)

I am happy to hear you got your laptop working, but from previous experience I don't think you needed to go such a drastic route.

Did you uninstall ROG Gamefirst III each time? That app messes with network priorities and has been known to generate the kind of errors you were seeing.

Did you update Windows completely, and install the latest Windows 8.1 drivers?

When you said you couldn't even connect to the network out of the box, did you mean Wired Ethernet or Wifi wireless? It isn't unusual to need to update the Wifi driver to the latest version before it will connect - the 7260 is a nasty long struggling wifi card, only now getting drivers that work consistently.

Uninstalling ROG software like ROG Gamefirst III, Splendid, Asus Live Update, etc are good things to remove, but the base Windows install should be fine. 99% of the owners of ROG laptops use it as a base and do updates to make drivers / OS current, and it works fine.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the comments.

Not being able to connect from the start refers WiFi to during initial setup (wired is not an option for me). One of the first screens to come up after computer name during setup is to connect to a network. On all other computers I have used, I simply select my network and connect, but the ASUS build would not (could not) do that. The fresh install of Windows on the other hand connected instantly.

I did all updates on the ASUS build and all Windows updates. I did not uninstall any of the gaming things (I removed WebStorage and McAffee and Office). I was not aware at the time those installed games caused those issues. I currently have 4 other Windows 8 computers (2 Dells, a Lenovo, another ASUS) and none have ever given me any issues out of the box as this one has, but I figured I would try a fresh install of Windows before deciding it was hardware and returning it, happily it seems not to have been hardware. I will "try" to explain the situation to ASUS, even if I have to send the original M.2 drive to them to check for themselves.

I am happy to hear this it isn't typical, however, my other ASUS is a G74SX that came with Windows 7. After I upgraded it to Windows 8.1 my USB 3.0 never worked again and neither did my optical drive, so I just reset it back to Windows 7 and used it that way.

I should also mention one of the errors I was getting was with another application (that works fine on all other computers and now on the fresh build). The second time I reset, before I did anything, I tried the app and had the same error, so updates or driver installs was not causing the issues.

hmscott
04-25-2015, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Not being able to connect from the start refers WiFi to during initial setup (wired is not an option for me). One of the first screens to come up after computer name during setup is to connect to a network. On all other computers I have used, I simply select my network and connect, but the ASUS build would not (could not) do that. The fresh install of Windows on the other hand connected instantly.

I did all updates on the ASUS build and all Windows updates. I did not uninstall any of the gaming things (I removed WebStorage and McAffee and Office). I was not aware at the time those installed games caused those issues. I currently have 4 other Windows 8 computers (2 Dells, a Lenovo, another ASUS) and none have ever given me any issues out of the box as this one has, but I figured I would try a fresh install of Windows before deciding it was hardware and returning it, happily it seems not to have been hardware. I will "try" to explain the situation to ASUS, even if I have to send the original M.2 drive to them to check for themselves.

I am happy to hear this it isn't typical, however, my other ASUS is a G74SX that came with Windows 7. After I upgraded it to Windows 8.1 my USB 3.0 never worked again and neither did my optical drive, so I just reset it back to Windows 7 and used it that way.

I should also mention one of the errors I was getting was with another application (that works fine on all other computers and now on the fresh build). The second time I reset, before I did anything, I tried the app and had the same error, so updates or driver installs was not causing the issues.

CoderGuy, I have run into similar situations a number of times when Wifi isn't working out of the box, but not an Asus laptop. It is sad, but not that unusual. I wouldn't tar the whole thing with that brush if it was me, but I am not so much more forgiving as expectant of problems in new hardware releases with new components - you always need to update the drivers before putting any time into testing / configuration / tuning - it just doesn't make sense to work with the GA shipping drivers in most computers - they became out of date during shipping :)

It looks like Asus has issued a new image build for Windows for the G751, probably at least to include the new fixed Realtek driver, but likely also catches driver updates for everything. You just got the original image, rather than the updated image - which we are just now hearing about.

Windows 7 to 8.1 really messed up USB support for lots of laptops. What was your hardware Renesys or Intel ICH10?

I use this hack to get real USB 3.0 drivers for my G750JH - it should work for all G750's, but doesn't seem to work on the G751's that have tried it.

Windows 8 and Intel USB 3.0 Host Controllers
http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

For some reason they have added a header saying that for Windows 8.1 they don't recommend doing it, but I still do and it works as expected - my USB 3.0 devices show up as

hwinfo64 usb 3.0 Superspeed for usb storage instead of usb 2.0 high speed

Same for 2TB WD drive

So really, and hardly anyone notices this, many laptops running Windows 8.1 don't actually mount the drive as USB 3.0 SuperSpeed.

Don't know about the app incompatibility, you could try to use compatibility settings - there may be default settings on the Asus build that aren't there for a from scratch build... some to the betterment of function some not so much :)

Glad to hear you are up and running, and are happy(ier) now :)

CoderGuy
04-25-2015, 01:39 AM
Thanks HMScott, appreciate it. The USB 3.0 issues were on my G74SX with Fresco Logic drivers. I tried every fix I could find on the intertubes and none of them worked. It works perfectly in Windows 7 though. Now that I have the G751JY up and running perfectly, I am giving away the G74SX to a friend's grandkid. He just wants it for games and wants Windows 7 anyway.

I figure as long as I have the drivers and this guide (this thread), I am not missing anything by installing straight Windows rather than the ASUS build. I bought the computer for video editing anyway and would have removed the gaming stuff eventually.

It's all good, just wanted to help out anyone else that may be having similar issues, which is sounds like not many were. I am usually alone in my computer weirdnesses anyway. :)

hmscott
04-25-2015, 03:42 AM
Thanks HMScott, appreciate it. The USB 3.0 issues were on my G74SX with Fresco Logic drivers. I tried every fix I could find on the intertubes and none of them worked. It works perfectly in Windows 7 though. Now that I have the G751JY up and running perfectly, I am giving away the G74SX to a friend's grandkid. He just wants it for games and wants Windows 7 anyway.

I figure as long as I have the drivers and this guide (this thread), I am not missing anything by installing straight Windows rather than the ASUS build. I bought the computer for video editing anyway and would have removed the gaming stuff eventually.

CoderGuy, actually this is the old thread :)

Here is the 2nd pass updated Sticky version by RogueNote

Install Guide for Windows 8.1 on G751 freeDOS (no windows out of the box)
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59224-Install-Guide-for-Windows-8-1-on-G751-freeDOS-%28no-windows-out-of-the-box%29

CoderGuy
04-25-2015, 03:55 AM
Cool thank you.

clockworksatan
07-16-2015, 07:37 AM
Many thanks for the install guide, it worked a treat!

2menijulia
11-20-2015, 10:04 AM
any update if gamefirst III is now stable?