PDA

View Full Version : Plugged in speed is fine, Unplugged very choppy

ghostface1
02-28-2015, 07:08 PM
I just started to have this issue where when the laptop is plugged in everything is fine
but when I unplug it, google chrome is extremely choppy and slow (but windows is fine)
and video games are extremely choppy.. This is strange because it only affects these 2 things but when I plug it in
everything is back to normal speed.

I already checked the battery profile and its on high performance with laptop unplugged

pokerface
02-28-2015, 09:20 PM
go to the advanced settings of the high performance plan and change 2 things:

1) Min CPU utilization on battery = Change from 5% to 100%

2) Graphic Processor > GPU Power State = Change while on battery from Balanced mode to high performance

Medicius
02-28-2015, 09:31 PM
Yes, and you should also change CPU power management: set system cooling policy of CPU on battery - active (not pasiv - overheating)

d0r1n
02-28-2015, 10:18 PM
OMG another gamer on battery....kid the battery only gives 100w and the laptop needs 170-200w minimum to play at high/ultra performance SO FOR THIS IS THE ADAPTER that gives 230-246w

read the technical details next time,THE BATERY IS NOT FOR GAMING

ghostface1
03-01-2015, 05:14 AM
OMG another gamer on battery....kid the battery only gives 100w and the laptop needs 170-200w minimum to play at high/ultra performance SO FOR THIS IS THE ADAPTER that gives 230-246w

read the technical details next time,THE BATERY IS NOT FOR GAMING

reread my post next time, i used the choppy gaming as an example. I know many ppl dont game on battery but what would be the point in a laptop if its always plugged in.

Anyway as the first reply i cant find the GPU setting you said under high performance profile.

NitroX
03-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Make some screenshots with your Power Plan settings so we can see what is wrong. You can even use balanced power plan with the corresponding settings. It might get choppy due to a performance hit on the CPU if the "Maximum processor state" is set under 100%.

@Medicius: The system cooling policy doesn't deactivate the CPU fan. It just turns off the fan when the temperature at idle is low enough. Then, when the temp raises the fan will start spinning.

ghostface1
03-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Make some screenshots with your Power Plan settings so we can see what is wrong. You can even use balanced power plan with the corresponding settings. It might get choppy due to a performance hit on the CPU if the "Maximum processor state" is set under 100%.

@Medicius: The system cooling policy doesn't deactivate the CPU fan. It just turns off the fan when the temperature at idle is low enough. Then, when the temp raises the fan will start spinning.

http://prntscr.com/6bddcc

http://prntscr.com/6bdelj

ghostface1
03-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Nvm all i had to do was update my nvidia drivers strangely it fixed the problem,
thanks to those who tried to help.

Medicius
03-01-2015, 04:46 PM
On my previous laptop (HP DV7), the fan didn't start to spin on battery power, which resulted CPU overheating and bad performance. First I thought that it is an old battery fault, but new battery didn't perform any better so I investigated further and found that the CPU policy was the real cause.

hmscott
03-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Nvm all i had to do was update my nvidia drivers strangely it fixed the problem,
thanks to those who tried to help.

ghostface1, which driver version did you install that helped? When you did a new Custom => Clean install of the new driver the previous Nvidia 3D/app options / configuration was set to Defaults - that would explain the improvement.

You can tune the newest Nvidia drivers settings for Plugged in and Battery, explore that to fine tune the quality settings for each game when plugged in and on battery - for best performance on each when running on the Nvidia GPU.

As others have said, there isn't enough power/wattage/current delivery available from the battery to run the Nvidia GPU at full performance as on AC power.

When you do come up with good tunings for a couple of games, both on battery and on AC power, please post them here to help others.

Have fun :)