PDA

View Full Version : G751 - Speed gains by replacing 1TB HDD in bay 2 (SATA 2) with an SSD??

mdzcpa
03-02-2015, 02:07 AM
Hey guys,

The wife and I decided to pick up a G751 instead of the GR8 for semi-portable and remote gaming. So far it seems to be a great choice. With the nice IPS panel and some serious GPU power I think we made the right choice.

We tend to have a lot of games loaded and ready to play at any time so I decided to keep only the OS and some productivity apps on the smallish 256GB SSD, and instead use the 1TB drive as a game drive along with some limited storage. Accordingly I repartitioned the second drive to allocate 750GB to games (the rest to storage) and deleted the D drive and expanded C to take up the extra space. So far all is working out just fine.

Question: The second bay is SATA 2. Has anyone swapped the 1TB HDD for an SSD? I figured there would be a boost by getting the full 3Gb/s over the HDD spinner (maybe hitting 1.68Gb/s), but not sure it's worth it. Thoughts?

pokerface
03-02-2015, 03:24 AM
When I had my G751JY that's the first thing I did. I would never accept the speeds of an HDD at this day and age no matter what purpose or files I want to store on the secondary drive plus they make less noise, consume less power, and generate less heat, in addition to being more reliable than an HDD on the long run