View Full Version : Having second thoughts about my G751 purchase

03-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Hello. The other day I purchased a G751JT-CH71 with a Samsung 850 Pro 256gb ssd to go with it. I receive all of this on Thursday, but I'm starting to have second thoughts about my purchase from what I've read. I'm going to be using this laptop for film/video work. It will be used for on set footage import/backup (onto the internal drive, then onto external drives), color grading Cinema DNG and other large raw files, and for editing. I use my G74SX to do these tasks right now.

I love that the G751 has an amazing screen and I can use my 30" cinema display with it and I love that it's a monster just like my G74SX... well, even more of a monster. I have been reading about the problems, mainly the internal SATA II bay and that USB 3 ports are not working correctly. I'm not insanely computer savy, but should I be worried? Do those problems, and other ones I might not know about, be huge red flags with the work I do?

Thanks for your help.

03-02-2015, 01:28 PM
I have my JY for 3 months now, it's the i7 4860HQ one, but no SSD tho. So far I had only 2 problems with it - the touchpad coming off from both lower corners, but I kinda got used to it and it's not a problem for me. I just push it back down from time to time.

The other issue I had was the well known sound problem. That got fixed, so...

I tried all my USB ports with my external HDD and I didn't encounter any problems whatsoever

So, to sum it up - no you should not have any second thoughts on your purchase. This is one of the best laptops, money can buy. I use mine for programmng, photoshop, illustrator etc. Gaming actually is the last thing I do on this machine. :D

03-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Greek_M43, I was feeling the same way when I found this forum. I think it's just that the majority of the posts here have to do with issues with the machines which skews your perception of how well the laptops actually perform. I'm still waiting on mine to arrive; I ordered a JT through iBuyPower, hopefully it is fully functional haha

03-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Should I be concerned about not being to use a second Sata III for my editing and on set data storage/transfer? I found the m.2 hack which seems pretty awesome, but I don't have that money right now.

03-02-2015, 04:52 PM
You should know if those problems affect you/your work.
I mean if you alreary bought it, and you still ask if those are problems for you, it is likely because they are not.

03-02-2015, 05:38 PM
I don't know about data speeds and Sata II working with high bitrate video. I haven't received the product. That is why I'm asking. Ouse a Sata III 7200rpm for editing right now. My average is 113 mb/s. Will that get slower with Sata II and the same drive?

03-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Ok sorry i misread :)
Sata II is ok for HDDs. It only slows SSDs.

03-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Awesome! Thank you! That makes me feel better. Once those M.2 SSDs come down in price, I'll get one of those and do the Sata III ribbon mod, and out an HDD in the optical drive!