PDA

View Full Version : Asus g750js thermal paste replacement

TulnukaWara
03-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Hi,

i have owned my ASUS g750js (i7 4710HQ , 3gb 870m , 16gb ram and so on)laptop allmost 4 months now. Last weekend i opened my laptop for cleaning from dust. And i was thinking, what is the best thermal compound for this laptop to use. Right now its using the OEM one. But when i played H1Z1 then the GPU temps where around 91c. Its not like the end of world, but i would like it to use the mest paste as possible. And maybe theres some tips before i replace it. Im familiar with desktop computers and so on, but laptops are little bit different. Sry about my english, its not my first language.

Thanks!

hmscott
03-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Hi,

i have owned my ASUS g750js (i7 4710HQ , 3gb 870m , 16gb ram and so on)laptop allmost 4 months now. Last weekend i opened my laptop for cleaning from dust. And i was thinking, what is the best thermal compound for this laptop to use. Right now its using the OEM one. But when i played H1Z1 then the GPU temps where around 91c. Its not like the end of world, but i would like it to use the mest paste as possible. And maybe theres some tips before i replace it. Im familiar with desktop computers and so on, but laptops are little bit different. Sry about my english, its not my first language.

Thanks!

TulnukaWara, you are still under warranty, and if you are hitting Thermal Throttling on the CPU, monitor with hwinfo64 Sensors Only mode and run some stress tests like Prime95+Furmark 15 min Burnin and log the results with hwinfo64, then you can show Asus that you are Thermal throttling and they will re-paste it for you :)

hwinfo64 download
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

No sense mucking around with it yourself.

Unless you have done it a lot - re-pasting laptops - if are like everyone else that has posted about doing their own re-pasting you will run into issues along the way - including being unsure of whether to use Thermal pads / shims to bridge the gap between the cooling plates and the ram/gpu, and whether you should have used thick vs thin paste, and the thermal result might be worse - or degrade quickly over time (paste is too thin and dries up) - the problem could be with heat-pipe / mating of plates, and you will want to open it up again, and again, to try something else...

Re-pasting and recovery then becomes the focus of your interaction with the laptop instead of enjoying it for gaming. :(

You already paid for the warranty, why not let Asus do the work?

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

TulnukaWara
03-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Hi, tnx for quick answer. I just finished replacing thermal paste for cpu and gpu. And its great! I had gpu temps 91c when i played H1Z1 but now its around 75c. And at idle its 38c. And cpu is at idle 42c and under load around 60c. So i guess it worked :) I used mx4 thermal paste.

Best wishes!
Martin

hmscott
03-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Hi, tnx for quick answer. I just finished replacing thermal paste for cpu and gpu. And its great! I had gpu temps 91c when i played H1Z1 but now its around 75c. And at idle its 38c. And cpu is at idle 42c and under load around 60c. So i guess it worked :) I used mx4 thermal paste....

TulnukaWara, that's great, glad to hear it worked out.

Those temp numbers are too low, you might want to give yourself more time to do a more thorough series of tests... it has only been a few hours since your first post asking how to proceed with re-pasting :)

If you can't get your CPU hotter than 60c, you aren't running it at 100% long enough.

Those numbers are much lower than anyone else, including those that have repasted with MX-4, have reported.

Try a run with prime95 small FFT + Furmark 1080p 15 minute Burnin, and monitor temps during the run, like this:

Please post the results :)

TulnukaWara
03-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Hi, yes they are lower than usual. But i havent tried the prime95 because im just comparing those temps with in-game playing that i have earlier and now. But i will use prime95 allso. One more question. How much cooling does vram need. Originally Asus is using some kind of tape-paste material. And im wondering, if my solution is going to damage my 870m vram. My gpu has rly good spread layer of paste but vram got some thicker layer of paste. And what would be the best material/method to use on vram. Is it thermal paste, thermal tape or something else.

Thanks in front!

hmscott
03-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Hi, yes they are lower than usual. But i havent tried the prime95 because im just comparing those temps with in-game playing that i have earlier and now. But i will use prime95 allso. One more question. How much cooling does vram need. Originally Asus is using some kind of tape-paste material. And im wondering, if my solution is going to damage my 870m vram. My gpu has rly good spread layer of paste but vram got some thicker layer of paste. And what would be the best material/method to use on vram. Is it thermal paste, thermal tape or something else.

Thanks in front!

TulnukaWara, that is what I explained in my first post, there are variances in height between the board components and the cooler plate - the thicker material used by Asus is designed to bridge that variable gap, and is supposed to harden such that it doesn't dry out even though the sides are exposed to the air.

Some have used thermal pads, copper shims, and thick paste (K5 pro).

What did you use on the VRAM/GPU? MX4? Thin pastes that don't bridge the gap will dry and crumble and your temps will go up.

TulnukaWara
03-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Hi, ok thanks for answer. I think i go buy some thermal pads/tape and use it there because i wached lot of different videos about mxm cards. And they all used those thermal pads/tape. I guess it would be nice. Do you agree?. And yes i unfortunently use mx4 now. But i can change it right away. I started to worry that in future it would not be good, so thats why im thinking to change it to thermal pads. Do you think http://www.kontaktchemie.com/KOC/ this is ok for cleaning the mxm card from the old thermal paste and some small ammounts of asus original thermal solution.

Thanks in advance!

hmscott
03-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Hi, ok thanks for answer. I think i go buy some thermal pads/tape and use it there because i wached lot of different videos about mxm cards. And they all used those thermal pads/tape. I guess it would be nice. Do you agree?. And yes i unfortunently use mx4 now. But i can change it right away. I started to worry that in future it would not be good, so thats why im thinking to change it to thermal pads. Do you think http://www.kontaktchemie.com/KOC/ this is ok for cleaning the mxm card from the old thermal paste and some small ammounts of asus original thermal solution.
Thanks in advance!

TulnukaWara, no, not contact cleaner, you want Isopropyl Alcohol, and a cotton ball or gauze (soft stuff) to wipe off the crud/goo. There is a product made by Arctic Silver, but the Isopropyl Alcohol can be picked up lots more places :)

ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover & Surface Purifier
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

TulnukaWara
03-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Hi, i just finished with repasting the gpu and putting thermal pads on the gpu and so on. And i ran some tests with Prime95 and Furmark 1080p.

Prime95 was 84c max and after 15min 82c current. And Furmark was ok at the beginning and the max temps where 82c. But there was some throtteling at the end. I could see fps small drops and gpu frequency drops allso. So i guess its ok for me. Maybe in future il see whats going on around the gpu , but for now its good :) I guess

Thanks for advice! ;)

TulnukaWara
03-04-2015, 05:36 PM
I had new prime95 and furmark test this morning, and the temps where same, maybe 1c lower, but no throtteing or fps drops. So i guess it was just too fresh yesterday. But im confused. I cant understand why my nvidia GPU is ~40c when its idle. Because with optimus, it should be 0c if im not using it. Any advice? Or im just imagening it ?

Best wishes!

hmscott
03-04-2015, 07:20 PM
I had new prime95 and furmark test this morning, and the temps where same, maybe 1c lower, but no throtteing or fps drops. So i guess it was just too fresh yesterday. But im confused. I cant understand why my nvidia GPU is ~40c when its idle. Because with optimus, it should be 0c if im not using it. Any advice? Or im just imagening it ?
Best wishes!

TulnukaWara, yeah, you don't want to get me started on Optimus :)

Search for it, and my postings, and enjoy. :)

I don't do Optimus, and I don't have one to check things for you, you will need to get feedback from another poor soul trapped in the Optimess ;)

Don't worry, it isn't working right, and never will. "Right" as defined by how an intelligent logical person would interpret what Optimus is supposed to do.

Nvidia GPU powered up, drawing power, and generating heat, while Optimus has selected the Intel GPU for rendering... makes sense ;)

TulnukaWara
03-04-2015, 08:06 PM
oh damn , ok then . I just tought that i had optimus working right earlier. I remember that GPU was not getting hot or nothing when i was just on desktop. But ok, then i know its allright :) Just need to reopen my laptop once again and give last final check, if the cooling pads and other things are all ok. Then i can just leave it and use it :)

hmscott
03-04-2015, 11:18 PM
oh damn , ok then . I just tought that i had optimus working right earlier. I remember that GPU was not getting hot or nothing when i was just on desktop. But ok, then i know its allright :) Just need to reopen my laptop once again and give last final check, if the cooling pads and other things are all ok. Then i can just leave it and use it :)

TulnukaWara, yeah, it would be nice if it powered down completely the Nvidia GPU, but I guess since they can't power down completely the Intel GPU - the concept eluded their process :)

You are getting pretty quick at dis-assembly / re-assembly, have you considered replacing the memory with 4 x 8GB 2133mhz, as long as you are there?

G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB (4 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3L 2133 Laptop Memory Model F3-2133C11Q-32GRSL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231776

Have fun :)

TulnukaWara
03-05-2015, 07:24 AM
Yeah, im pretty quick with the dis- and re-assembly. But i think this 16gb of 1600mhz ram is enough for me. Maybe in future i will sell the laptop and buy desktop back. Lets see about that :)

TulnukaWara
03-05-2015, 07:34 AM
Is there any point to add this additional copper to the heatsink of the gpu and cpu . I am thinking to do that, but i dont know is it good or bad for the cooling.

hmscott
03-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Is there any point to add this additional copper to the heatsink of the gpu and cpu . I am thinking to do that, but i dont know is it good or bad for the cooling.

TulnukaWara, please post a link to the article / post that came from, their report should tell you of any improvement they saw. I wouldn't think it would help - it just stores more heat.

What you want to improve is the contact between the heat sink plate and the CPU/GPU/memory and the efficiency of the heatpipe and fan heat exchanger. Not sure how the piggy-back copper helps with that...

The G750JS GPU temps always seemed low enough, it was the CPU temps that were above 93c/94c that triggered Thermal Throttling of the CPU - tuning down the multiplier of the 3rd and 4th core with Intel XTU helped the most.

Here is a thread about it:

Things to try ~CPU overheating JM/JS/JZ models~
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48594-Things-to-try-CPU-overheating-JM-JS-JZ-models&p=412319&viewfull=1#post412319

You don't need to sell and get a desktop, you can get a new 970m980m laptop - they OC almost up to desktop 9xx levels :)

Don't give up on laptops just because of the Optimus enabled ROG G750JM/JS/JZ - they ran hot and were the end of the old GPU lines, the new Maxwells use less power and put out less heat, and there are non-Optimus G750JT/JY's available :)

TulnukaWara
03-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Ok maybe im not using extra copper heatsinks on the main heatsink. But im going to the local electronics store, and maybe i will buy some light copper pads or something that i can put some thermal paste on both sides and then it will be the best contact with heatsink. Right now i use 0.5mm thermalpads. But im not sure if the solution right now is working as good as it can be. So yeah il try it out.

I have had lot of desktop pc-s, so i guess in future i will build more. For now this laptop is really good, but i really want to build some more in future. I will try this cooling mod out later on and give feedback. I dont have any thermal throttling with cpu right now. My i7 is working 4 cores multiplier x27 with stresstest on 82c for 15 min. So i guess its allright. I will repaste the cpu allso because i want to try another pasting technique.

hmscott
03-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Ok maybe im not using extra copper heatsinks on the main heatsink. But im going to the local electronics store, and maybe i will buy some light copper pads or something that i can put some thermal paste on both sides and then it will be the best contact with heatsink. Right now i use 0.5mm thermalpads. But im not sure if the solution right now is working as good as it can be. So yeah il try it out.
I have had lot of desktop pc-s, so i guess in future i will build more. For now this laptop is really good, but i really want to build some more in future. I will try this cooling mod out later on and give feedback. I dont have any thermal throttling with cpu right now. My i7 is working 4 cores multiplier x27 with stresstest on 82c for 15 min. So i guess its allright. I will repaste the cpu allso because i want to try another pasting technique.

TulnukaWara, x27 is pretty low, even for non-OC CPU settings. Did you use XTU to limit the Turbo multiplier for the cores to 27x, or are you running the Balanced Power profile? If you have Asus Power4Gear installed, uninstall it and use the Windows profiles, they work better - without Power4Gear forcing / changing power plans away from your custom settings.

Try using High Performance power profile, that should lock the multiplier up to 32x or 34x all the time. You can use XTU to increase max multipliers from 34x, 34x, 34x, 34x cores and 34x cache to 36x, 35x, 34x, 34x cores and 36x cache.

Then you will see the real max temperatures of the CPU.

TulnukaWara
03-05-2015, 01:01 PM
OK il try this stresstest again. But i remember that it was 27x and i think i havent installed Power4Gear. So il get back to you later today :)

TulnukaWara
03-05-2015, 04:21 PM
unfortunently with prime95 using 8 threads its not going over 27x . Some small bumps are going around 30x but its mainly at 27x. When i use my laptop regularly its going 35x and its all good. I am using balanced powerplan. I just think this prime95 is not using turbo frequency all the time. And cpu temps are around 78-83c. So i will take it apart tonight and try to use this thermal tape or something. It will make more secure connection. Its not that hard glue. Just some small tracktion. Il come back with results later on.

hmscott
03-05-2015, 08:01 PM
unfortunently with prime95 using 8 threads its not going over 27x . Some small bumps are going around 30x but its mainly at 27x. When i use my laptop regularly its going 35x and its all good. I am using balanced powerplan. I just think this prime95 is not using turbo frequency all the time. And cpu temps are around 78-83c. So i will take it apart tonight and try to use this thermal tape or something. It will make more secure connection. Its not that hard glue. Just some small tracktion. Il come back with results later on.

TulnukaWara, it isn't unfortunate, that is the way the Balanced power plan works :)

The reason we use the High Performance power plan when doing benchmarks is to keep the CPU clock always high, 32x/34x for the JS CPU, that way the CPU isn't constantly down-clocking and up-clocking; you are seeing that the Balanced Power Plan under load averages at 27x as a high. That affects performance results, and maximum load, reducing it down to below 27x. That is why your temps are low.

Try a run with the High Performance power plan selected, making sure under Advanced that the CPU settings at 100% Min/Max.

Then you will truly be at 100% load for your benchmark runs, and your temperature readings are comparative with those posted by everyone else.

Good luck with the re-pasting. :)

TulnukaWara
03-05-2015, 08:30 PM
Hey, thermal paste is replaced again :) And this GPU Tweak is showing the temps 0 like at beginning if its not used. So something is right again. And you can see allso when i use Prime95 the multiplier is 27x and temps around 80c. And i double checked power options. All settings are correct. So i dont know why prime95 is using only 27x. If i start prime95 then its sometimes 30x ans so on. And it ca turbo allso to 34x or something. But it stays stable on 27x. So i dont know if there is something wrong with the program or something.

hmscott
03-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Hey, thermal paste is replaced again :) And this GPU Tweak is showing the temps 0 like at beginning if its not used. So something is right again. And you can see allso when i use Prime95 the multiplier is 27x and temps around 80c. And i double checked power options. All settings are correct. So i dont know why prime95 is using only 27x. If i start prime95 then its sometimes 30x ans so on. And it ca turbo allso to 34x or something. But it stays stable on 27x. So i dont know if there is something wrong with the program or something.

TulnukaWara, sorry, I wasn't taking into account the drop in clock for long term Turbo boost, mine drops down as well under continuous load:

The 0 reading in Asus GPU Tweak is due to the Intel GPU running and not the Nvidia GPU running, load up a game or something that keeps the Nvidia GPU active, even something like TechPowerUp GPU-Z load generator:

Your CPU temp now looks low enough to use XTU to increase the max multiplier ( OC ), that is why my minimum multiplier under High Performance is higher than 27x.

Keep up the good work :)

TulnukaWara
03-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Hi, i think im not going to OC the cpu. But il try to OC gpu tho. This morning i tested the gpu temps with Heaven benchmark . I used extreme preset and got around 75c for cpu. I think its working perfect for now. I tryed to oc gpu yesterday, and i got this result. ~100mhz on core clock and 600mhz on memory. But the funny thing was that there was not much performance gain. I got around 100 points more with heaven benchmark, but thats it. And i didnt get any lines or similar on the screen. Heaven benchmark program showed that my gpu was 1067mhz on core and 2750mhz on ram. How much do u think i can push it for?. Because i imagined to have more gain after 100mhz on core. And this gpu ram shows that i can add around 2000mhz more on it. Seems like there is some program mistake or it shoud be this option?

And yes i know that the gpu 0c is because the intel gpu and optimus. But my concern was that last two times i pasted my graphics card i had temps showing even when i didnt use nvidia gpu. But now its like before repasting. Same like it was when i bought it. So i dont know what the issue was. But its fixed now somehow.

Il try to run some more test later on today. Thanks! :)

hmscott
03-06-2015, 04:55 PM
Hi, i think im not going to OC the cpu. But il try to OC gpu tho. This morning i tested the gpu temps with Heaven benchmark . I used extreme preset and got around 75c for cpu. I think its working perfect for now. I tryed to oc gpu yesterday, and i got this result. ~100mhz on core clock and 600mhz on memory. But the funny thing was that there was not much performance gain. I got around 100 points more with heaven benchmark, but thats it. And i didnt get any lines or similar on the screen. Heaven benchmark program showed that my gpu was 1067mhz on core and 2750mhz on ram. How much do u think i can push it for?. Because i imagined to have more gain after 100mhz on core. And this gpu ram shows that i can add around 2000mhz more on it. Seems like there is some program mistake or it shoud be this option?

And yes i know that the gpu 0c is because the intel gpu and optimus. But my concern was that last two times i pasted my graphics card i had temps showing even when i didnt use nvidia gpu. But now its like before repasting. Same like it was when i bought it. So i dont know what the issue was. But its fixed now somehow.

Il try to run some more test later on today. Thanks! :)

TulnukaWara, there are lots of possibilities as to why the Nvidia GPU stayed on even though you didn't think you used it. Do you have Steam? Are you running monitoring software other than GPU Tweak? Did you set the Nvidia Global / App 3D settings to Prefer Performance? There are likely others.

The CPU / GPU performance OC's compliment each other. To get the best performance you need to OC the CPU - you can ameliorate the heat gain by undervolting the CPU - and you should put the GPU clock all the way up to +135, there is no reason not to - your temps are fine.

Some GPU usage will show better improvement than others. Heaven is just 1 data point in a cloud of a thousand possibilities :)

The range of OC for CPU / GPU are designed to allow the owner some joy in contributing to the tuning of the system, but the range is limited and not dangerous - if your cooling system can handle it - and you spent a lot time making sure it is, so enjoy the fruits of your efforts :)

TulnukaWara
03-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Hi, i tryed to oc cpu yesterday. And stresstested it with intel extreme utility. I got 36x 35x 34x 34x with no voltage or other conf. And it passed without throtteling or anything. Max temps under load was 84c even with this oc on. So i dont know if i have to change some other settings with cpu oc. And i dont know how much oc do i need to use with gpu memory.

I actually got an idea for extra cooling.
To make some mount for that fan and change it with odd. Because i dont use odd. And when i repasted cpu and gpu i discovered that this odd space is directly next to the coolers. So maybe i try it. I would just attach it to the usb and use it as extra cooling when heavy gaming or so on. Do you think its good idea and maybe have some ideas :)

hmscott
03-08-2015, 04:35 PM
Hi, i tryed to oc cpu yesterday. And stresstested it with intel extreme utility. I got 36x 35x 34x 34x with no voltage or other conf. And it passed without throtteling or anything. Max temps under load was 84c even with this oc on. So i dont know if i have to change some other settings with cpu oc. And i dont know how much oc do i need to use with gpu memory.
I actually got an idea for extra cooling.
To make some mount for that fan and change it with odd. Because i dont use odd. And when i repasted cpu and gpu i discovered that this odd space is directly next to the coolers. So maybe i try it. I would just attach it to the usb and use it as extra cooling when heavy gaming or so on. Do you think its good idea and maybe have some ideas :)

TulnukaWara, I wouldn't start munging hardware, there isn't a lot of improvement to be had, because the heat is all contained within the heatpipe cooling system up until it goes through the heat exchanger in the exhaust fans mounting. You might improve it with bigger/higher throughput fans - replacing the existing fans - but adding a 3rd fan is only going to cool the motherboard components not covered by the heatsink plates.

Your temps are already great, no need to do any additional re-pasting either.

You can improve the CPU temp a bit, if the CPU plays along, they all aren't the same when it comes to undervolting. My first G750JW was stable with an undervolt of -125mv, wild. That made a big difference in load temps. My JX only did -75mV stable - actually more like -70mV for totally stable no crash over long periods, and my JH only did -25mV out of the box - after months of increasing the negative voltage a little bit every week, it is now stable at -45mV.

I wouldn't mess with custom vBIO's, more often than not on the way to a stable config you will brick and recover at least once, and without the support and talent to recover you are stuck. It isn't worth the risk, even with a replacable card - it's gonna cost you your warranty - the cost of a replacement card, and the hassle to deal with it, for a few FPS - it isn't worth it.

With the G751, you will tank the motherboard if you brick the vBIOS/BIOS - hopefully Asus will recover the BIOS/vBIOS brick for you, otherwise you are swapping in another motherboard - the CPU / GPU are all on the same unit.

Other than tuning the CPU undervolt - you already have the multipliers up to max (did you do the cache too, run it up to max too) - you are all set to game :)

TulnukaWara
03-13-2015, 04:10 PM
I have new issue with optimus now. Somehow its not switching to nvidia card. And allso under Nvidia control panel its showing that auto select is integrated for all games. I dont know why :S

TulnukaWara
03-13-2015, 07:09 PM
I got it working. I had driver issues :)

TulnukaWara
03-22-2015, 09:02 PM
It has been little bit over a week after i last changed thermal paste, and i ran prime95 again. And the temps went 98c max for couple of seconds. And it was running on 90c after that. So im little bit afraid, why is it happening. Because last time i used prime95 after thermal compund repaste it was around 82c and max spikes where up to 87c. So why is it happening. Maybe someone knows whats wrong.

hmscott
03-22-2015, 09:12 PM
It has been little bit over a week after i last changed thermal paste, and i ran prime95 again. And the temps went 98c max for couple of seconds. And it was running on 90c after that. So im little bit afraid, why is it happening. Because last time i used prime95 after thermal compund repaste it was around 82c and max spikes where up to 87c. So why is it happening. Maybe someone knows whats wrong.

TulnukaWara, usually it's air gaps allowing the paste to dry out and pull away from thermal contact with the mated cooling plate and component can, causing worsening thermal conductivity - resulting in the cooling efficiency going down and the component temperatures to go up.

That's why OEM applications of thermal paste are usually pads that don't shrink or paste/goop that hardens with a protective shell/barrier to air - and it doesn't dry out or shrink over time allowing the gap to widen and breaks to occur causing thermal conduction to worsen over time.

That is why I usually recommend sending in the laptop and let the maker of the laptop redo the paste and/or check the thermal components to make sure they are all set up correctly.

Enthusiast pastes are great at initial application, but unless the usage is exactly within their working realm, they can do what you are seeing, requiring frequent re-applications.

This isn't to say that they can't last long term with the right application, I have some AS5 that has been stable on CPU/heatsinks for many years.

Laptops are different, they get moved around and flex - this movement can contribute to the separation of the paste from the mating - allowing more air gaps and more drying out. Another good reason for the TIM's used by laptop manufacturers. Flexible goop and pads can move and stay connected, shock and vibration won't weaken them.

Do you carry your laptop around, or is it stable in 1 location?

TulnukaWara
03-23-2015, 07:31 AM
Hi, thanks for the answer. I usually dont carry my laptop around much. Its mainly sationary on the desk using coolingpad. Im right now thinking to repaste the cpu with coolabratory thermal paste, because its not as thick as mx-4 and allso its made of metals. I just ran furmark with my gpu allso, and the max temps on gpu are 77c. So its perfect with that. Only cpu is not working correcly. So what to do :S

Wulff
03-23-2015, 02:15 PM
are you sure the gpu is fine as well then? cause the temp measured on the gpu doesnt include the memory chips does it? so those can get hot as hell without ever noticing it...

for the cpu maybe do a re-application cause i did mine as well with arctic silver 5 and all is good here. with prime95 the max temp is 90 degrees C but on average it hovers around 88 max and thats with the XTU overclock to 36,35, 34, 34

TulnukaWara
03-23-2015, 02:37 PM
i have repasted my gpu for 3 times :) I now have used thermal pads for vram and other chips on gpu and mx-4 for gpu die. I know its cooling whole gpu components. I had same temps for my cpu earlier, but now it has changed. So i will see soon whats wrong there. Maybe the thermal paste is un-even or something.

hmscott
03-23-2015, 07:24 PM
i have repasted my gpu for 3 times :) I now have used thermal pads for vram and other chips on gpu and mx-4 for gpu die. I know its cooling whole gpu components. I had same temps for my cpu earlier, but now it has changed. So i will see soon whats wrong there. Maybe the thermal paste is un-even or something.

TulnukaWara, make sure your pads aren't lifting up the contact from other items. Bridging the gaps with pads for some items may raise/cock on an angle the contact for other items. Fix one, and another is now off.

Look carefully at the contact made to the CPU, make sure you aren't at an angle to the CPU can, if 1 side is lifted a bit more than another and air gets in the paste will dry out, shrink, crack and contact will be lost. If your temps were fine, and got worse over time, the paste isn't make contact as it was from the first.

TulnukaWara
03-23-2015, 08:40 PM
hi, thanks :). I just ordered heat resistant tape and k5 Pro for cpu and gpu components. And i think problem is with the heatsink connections. They are low pressure and weak. So i guess i will make one more connection for heatpipe. I will connect it safely to motherboard near the radiator, so it will not bend or move when moving laptop and so on. I think it will help at the end :) il be back when its done. For now il have to wait to get these tapes and pastes. :)

TulnukaWara
03-26-2015, 08:08 PM
ok i just opened up my laptop and found out that thermal paste was moist/wet looking. I think problem was with my cleaning spray that is used to clean electric contacts. I think there was some small layer of that spray on cpu and gpu dyes. And i replaced that paste with deepcool z9 and the temps are unbeliveble small. I got 37c idle. And allso i wrapped my fan and radiator connections with aluminium tape. Now fans are pushing out more air thru radiatoirs. Il see how its going to be after week or two and come back then . Allso i ordered some K5 Pro and will try it out later on :)

hmscott
03-26-2015, 11:04 PM
ok i just opened up my laptop and found out that thermal paste was moist/wet looking. I think problem was with my cleaning spray that is used to clean electric contacts. I think there was some small layer of that spray on cpu and gpu dyes. And i replaced that paste with deepcool z9 and the temps are unbeliveble small. I got 37c idle. And allso i wrapped my fan and radiator connections with aluminium tape. Now fans are pushing out more air thru radiatoirs. Il see how its going to be after week or two and come back then . Allso i ordered some K5 Pro and will try it out later on :)

TulnukaWara, aha!! Contact cleaners can have lubricating oils in them, that is why it is best to use a purpose made cleaner like Arctic Clean, or pure Isopropyl Alcohol only.

The oil makes an insulating layer, and will congeal from the heat/cooling cycles.

Check out Arctic Clean if you are getting in the re-pasting biz ;)

ArctiClean™ Thermal Material Remover & Surface Purifier
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

How to use ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Surface Purifier
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/ac/ins_arcticlean.pdf

I hope you cleaned around the area where you sprayed the contact cleaner well with Isopropyl Alcohol to break up the congealed oils - when it heats up again it will wick to the heat source and it can become an ongoing issue if you don't completely clean it off the board/components.

Have fun :)

Mantis187
03-28-2015, 04:38 AM
im getting ready to take my g750jm (860m 2gb) apart for the first time to repaste. I dont see many pics or videos on the process to take it apart so im going to do either or both. How hard was it to get everything apart/put together? Im guessing u just removed the fans and did what u had to do but would like some more info about the process. Thanks!

TulnukaWara
03-28-2015, 12:19 PM
the main thing that i reccomend is to use minigrip bags to put screws and stuff in it. Put like bottom cover 8 screws in one bag and so on. So then you know when you put the laptop togther, what sqrews goes where. And before you open the gpu heatsink be sure you have K5 Pro or similar paste to repaste the gpu chips. I would not reccoment thermal pads, because its a lot of work to measure right thickness. There is not much to say. And deffinently use this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuToMlzZ-CA . Hope it helps :)

TulnukaWara
03-31-2015, 01:28 PM
I want to add that i used isopropanol for cleaning my old thermal paste and cpu/gpu die. It was bottled by this company http://www.atel-electronics.eu/produkt.php?hash=04170 "Kontakt IPA PLUS". So i guess it was still pure alcohol. 99% only 1% water. And i guess i have the same problem now with this new repaste. But i didnt use this Kontakt IPA PLUS thistime. I only used moist tissue. I will soon use K5 Pro and see if the cpu paste is ok. It still seems like its not doing its job. So can there be some other problems with this repasting. How can thermal paste be moist after 2 weeks of heavy use. And it was looking wet(water a like). I will make image about it when i reopen laptop. I still havent got K5 Pro so i have to wait :)

Areosjc
04-26-2015, 04:08 AM
Hi, TulnukaWara, can you please take some pictures from your VGA heatsink and fan also from your motherboard the next time you open your laptop for repaste??. I will do an upgrade to my JX laptop and I ordered some parts from a JS and I like visual confirmation and I can't find pictures from the JS model internals looks like.

Thank you!!!

Good luck