PDA

View Full Version : PC says I connected my SSD to SATA2?

FitnessRegiment
03-02-2015, 02:05 PM
I am not sure how badly I just messed up, I replaced the HDD with SSD.... Now it says it's Sata 2 which basically halves my performance.. I thought it was Sata 3 for sure...

What now?

I have ASUS G751JY

http://i.imgur.com/5WLSrg3.png

wait what? It says SATA 3 is available...

ELZZZORRO
03-02-2015, 02:17 PM
Yep, I found out the hard way like you did. Can't understand why Asus did this, unacceptable.
Anyway, I ended doing this: http://1pcent.com/?p=516

FitnessRegiment
03-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Yep, I found out the hard way like you did. Can't understand why Asus did this, unacceptable.
Anyway, I ended doing this: http://1pcent.com/?p=516

I can't believe this.. is that a joke.. I'll be putting that in my youtube review... jesus christ.

ELZZZORRO
03-02-2015, 03:05 PM
You can also remove the SSD from its casing:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57888-G751JY-Replace-M2-with-2-5-quot-Caddy

ELZZZORRO
03-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Here is the original post for option #1 : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56158-Secondary-port-not-SATA-6&p=470347&viewfull=1#post470347

FitnessRegiment
03-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Are these sata cables not available in the UK? Can't find any on amazon.co.uk

hmscott
03-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Here is the 2 drive in the M.2 bay solution, with re-taping / heatsinks to reduce the SSD temp from 50c to 36c

How to add a 4th drive to your G751
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58104-How-to-add-a-4th-drive-to-your-G751&p=479552&viewfull=1#post479552

FitnessRegiment
03-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Here is the 2 drive in the M.2 bay solution, with re-taping / heatsinks to reduce the SSD temp from 50c to 36c

How to add a 4th drive to your G751
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58104-How-to-add-a-4th-drive-to-your-G751&p=479552&viewfull=1#post479552

I don't like the idea of my drives being held up by tape, do you have any idea where to get "SATA 3 Male to Female 5 wire 8 Inch Extension Cable" in the UK?

I want to do it the way the others did in the proper slot by using extension for the Sata 3 port.

ELZZZORRO
03-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Just search for SATA extension cable or call any local computer store. Try and get a 6" instead for perfect fit.

FitnessRegiment
03-03-2015, 02:25 PM
Just search for SATA extension cable or call any local computer store. Try and get a 6" instead for perfect fit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SATA-Extension-Cable-22Pin-Female/dp/B001VBRIYI

Would this be ok?

A guy told me this on reddit:

"http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=sata%20extension%20cable&sprefix=sata+ex%2Celectronics%2C242
I would personally buy a separate power and data extension cable just to avoid having to chop it up to fit under the bridge. See the above page for your options."

pokerface
03-03-2015, 03:07 PM
It's a joke ASUS putting a SATA II port at this day and age in a premium gaming laptop! even cheap budget laptops these days only have SATA III!

FitnessRegiment
03-03-2015, 04:08 PM
It's a joke ASUS putting a SATA II port at this day and age in a premium gaming laptop! even cheap budget laptops these days only have SATA III!

Agreed I will use the simple mod, I hope that an ASUS rep can help me obtain the SATA cable for me to do the mod.

Also any is there a fix for the audio because it doesn't seem to work properly

ELZZZORRO
03-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Yes, that's the one

alex_markov
03-07-2015, 11:38 AM
I am Very disappointed by this ridiculous SATA2 port, i assume DVD is also on SATA2 or not?

MarkL.
03-18-2015, 02:23 AM
Wow - great post....

I have been "dealing" with ASUS support for the past 3 months. They accused me of misconfiguring, manipulating the computer - by adding additional hardware, and in the end outright refusing to acknowledge they THEY are the folks that introduced this problem. CLEARLY when they added the M.2 drive support into this laptop it is ROBBING PCI-lanes from the drive bay, so the stock HD (as well as any other you would like to put in there) is going to be LIMITED to SATA II speeds (@ 3 Gbps). If they would have simply disabled the SATA port (or allowed US to do it in BIOS) in the bay with the M.2 drive.... this would NOT be a problem. Instead - we have to hack our own laptop to get the speed it was SUPPOSED to have.

I am also curious if anyone tested a hard drive bay convertor in the CD/DVD drive bay? I am pretty sure this one would be running at SATA II as well, but definitely worth checking out.

ASUS - FIX YOUR SUPPORT.... AND YOUR PRODUCT! A simple BIOS fix would possibly take care of this issue! I really can't call this a GAMING computer with only SATA II support in the HD bay (without a hack).

@ ELZZZORRO, was looking at the photos you published for the "workaround", was curious how to plug the SSD into the "workaround" cable and have the existing SATA connector be there as well. Is the SSD not screwed in? Seems like you would need to move the drive deeper into the bay to clear the existing connector.

Thanks again... this may be my only hope at a "workable" solution. ASUS sure isn't working very hard on their products or support.

MarkL.
03-18-2015, 02:38 AM
>> I can't believe this.. is that a joke.. I'll be putting that in my youtube review... jesus christ.

@ FitnessRegimen

EXACTLY.... after dealing with ASUS "support" for 2 1/2 months after purchase and sending the laptop in to them, this is what I got back:
(broken English left in for free...)

------------------
I apologize for the inconvenience if there was a delay in confirming that the secondary SATA channel speed.

We sold this unit to our reseller with only one hardrive connected on the primary channel that supports SATA3. Any hardware upgrade, like installing another hardrive on the secondary channel is not supported. This is done by customers at their wn discretion. As mentioned, the seconday channel running SATA2 still will not affect system performance because most of the tasks are being processed from the C drive(system disk), connected to the primary channel.

We are clear with the specification of the G751 laptop per the preinstalled hardware configuration, as mentioned and explained above.

I'm sorry if you are disappointed with the purchase.
--------------------

@alex_markov

Oh..... disappointed is definitely a word that describes the situation. I can't count the number of times that I have typed or said "ridiculous" concerning this issue over the past few months.

He mentioned/clarified in an email that followed this one, that the Serial number for this computer ONLY has the 1TB hard drive, so clearly I must have put in the M.2 SATA drive... or the retailer did. Um no... it came from ASUS THAT WAY!!!! -> ASUS ROG G751 Series G751JY-DH71 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) 24GB Memory 1TB HDD 256GB SSD.

Seems like we ALL got burned by them.

ELZZZORRO
03-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Correct, the SSD is sitting back and low in order to clear the 2 nd bay Sata connector. Added some tape to fill up tight the gap and avoid vibration.

ELZZZORRO
03-18-2015, 02:30 PM
DVD is Sata I (1).

SATA I = 1.5Gb/s
SATA II = 3 Gb/s
SATA III = 6 Gb/s

MarkL.
03-18-2015, 07:08 PM
Correct, the SSD is sitting back and low in order to clear the 2 nd bay Sata connector. Added some tape to fill up tight the gap and avoid vibration.

Ah okay - thanks for the info! Yea kind of hard to "see" that in the photos (once the drive carrier is in place). :-)

DVD is Sata I (1).

SATA I = 1.5Gb/s
SATA II = 3 Gb/s
SATA III = 6 Gb/s

Thanks for the info about the DVD bay. NewEgg still has my G751JY on RMA. They are NOT going to refund me for it, so dealing with credit card company now; but looks like I am going to have to either try to sell it.. or make it work for me. :-/

ELZZZORRO
03-19-2015, 06:11 AM
G751JY is; no doubt, the best laptop out there. I was discouraged due to the 2 bay being SATA II. I tweaked some hardware cables and for me it just worked perfectly. Very pleased.

alex_markov
03-19-2015, 08:37 AM
DVD is Sata I (1).

SATA I = 1.5Gb/s
SATA II = 3 Gb/s
SATA III = 6 Gb/s

No realy, i put Original HDD in DVD place (via 9.5 mm cady) and HW Info shows SATA II Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s
exatleuy like second HDD bay where i have Samsun 840 EVO 1TB disk :(

MarkL.
03-19-2015, 11:29 PM
G751JY is; no doubt, the best laptop out there. I was discouraged due to the 2 bay being SATA II. I tweaked some hardware cables and for me it just worked perfectly. Very pleased.

True - if the cable-hack fixes the problem, seems like a nice laptop.

I really didn't appreciate the tone ASUS took with me, they have outright denied the problem and then accused me of misconfiguring it. They then issued an RMA, held onto it for a month - and returned it as "no problem found"; later saying that according to the serial number this laptop should not have a M.2 drive in it, that someone else must have put it in there (possibly the retailer).

Clearly - I am NOT the only person with the same "problem". Seems like it could be something easily fixed by them by issuing a BIOS update that would either disable or let us turn off the SATA to the first bay (freeing up PCI express channels to the second bay to support SATA III). But I am not holding my breath; first they have to acknowledge they actually HAVE a problem before they can fix it.

Not to mention... I haven't been able to use the laptop since mid-January due to RMA's with ASUS and NewEgg! :-/

MarkL.
03-19-2015, 11:37 PM
No realy, i put Original HDD in DVD place (via 9.5 mm cady) and HW Info shows SATA II Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s
exatleuy like second HDD bay where i have Samsun 840 EVO 1TB disk :(

Thanks Alex - I thought it would be SATA II as well based on what I had seen in other laptop DVD bays. If ASUS would let us turn on/off the SATA ports by the bay in BIOS - we could just fix the problem by turning off the SATA port in the first internal bay (which would free up more resources for the other 2 bays). It would be nice to have a SSD running as SATA-III internal + put the 1TB HD in the DVD bay also running with SATA III support! :-D