PDA

View Full Version : G551 Driver power failure (kernel-power ID-41)

eugenio
03-02-2015, 09:05 PM

just bought 4 days ago and after 2 days, i have this kind of problem
i have asus g551 win 8.1 single
with 12gb ram 1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 860M
maybe you can help me with this issue.

hmscott
03-02-2015, 10:55 PM
just bought 4 days ago and after 2 days, i have this kind of problem
i have asus g551 win 8.1 single
with 12gb ram 1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 860M
maybe you can help me with this issue.

eugenio, it's not supposed to do that :)

The 860m is sensitive to newer Nvidia driver releases, crashing upon game exit on the G750JM with the 860m, and others with the 860m have complained from time to time.

You could try a Custom => Clean Install of 332.60 which is supposed to be stable on the 860m.

The crashes could be an unstable CPU - you haven't tuned it yet with Intel XTU? If not then it shouldn't be doing that. If you have, put settings back at defaults and run for a while at stock settings.

Before returning it, or RMA'ing it, you could do an F9 reset from Power Up and reload Asus Windows and run from a vanilla install for a while - and then note what you install and when it starts crashing again.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

eugenio
03-03-2015, 08:12 AM
and it only comes when I use battery mode, and btw my NVidia default driver version is 333.60

hmscott
03-03-2015, 09:51 AM
and it only comes when I use battery mode, and btw my NVidia default driver version is 333.60

eugenio, only on battery mode? That is an important detail :)

Did you mean 332.60, or 333.60?

If it only happens on battery mode, try selecting the High Performance Power Plan, just as a test for now, and see if that helps.

I wonder if some overvolt on battery mode, set with Intel XTU might help. Normally we use it for undervolting to reduce heat while on AC power - and one of the symptoms of undervolting too far is that crash - so then we raise the undervolt - reduce it - effectively raising the voltage again.

I would report it to Asus via a Technical Inquiry, be sure and mention it only happens on Battery.

https://vip.asus.com

eugenio
03-03-2015, 12:04 PM
yup, it only happen when on battery mode, and while i'm watching video using Mozilla firefox, it suddenly makes some error shockwave error and after that, that message is appearing. drvier power failure. another case is on standby mode, im not using the laptop just on stand by, and then is happens
now I reset my laptop in factory settings, after I reset it, I make one by one installing just to see what is the problem
1. windows updates maybe around 70 updates.
and I try again, nothing happen (same procedure but the browser is IE)
2. I try to install GEforce experience only and I try it again, nothing happens
(same procedure but the browser is IE)
3. I try to installs same games and I try it again, nothing happens (same procedure but the browser is IE)
the thing I did not try is to install the latest release of nvida drviers
yes its correct my default NVidia driver is 333.60

maybe what do you think it causes this driver power failure?