PDA

View Full Version : G74SX keeps crashing when I play games on it

stridoom
11-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Hello,

I am a new forum member and I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and how they resolved the issue:

When I was playing Skyrim, the laptop keeps crashing and I can't do anything except restart the computer. By crashing, I mean, a line appears on the screen and then the entire screen turns green or all these squares come up. After this happens, I cannot do anything. I can't do alt+ctrl+del or alt+tab. I am forced to hold the power button to restart the computer.

What is causing this issue? Please help. I am also a newbie with computers so please keep that in mind.

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Install HWinfo64 and set it to LOG temperatures, because your PC is crashing and you'd lose that data otherwise.

Also, read the sticky up above about the Atheros Wifi card. Your problem may fall into that category, so uninstall your Atheros Wifi driver and install the one linked in the thread.

Good luck, and come back if you still need us. :D

stridoom
11-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Install HWinfo64 and set it to LOG temperatures, because your PC is crashing and you'd lose that data otherwise.

Also, read the sticky up above about the Atheros Wifi card. Your problem may fall into that category, so uninstall your Atheros Wifi driver and install the one linked in the thread.

Good luck, and come back if you still need us. :D

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded HWinfo64 and I started logging. I am about to play the game now and after it crashes, I will check the temperature logs.

On a sidenote, I don't have Atheros Wifi Card on my computer. I have Intel Centrino Wireless N 6150 under Device Manager.

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Ok. Most G74s have the crappy Atheros card. You're lucky.

stridoom
11-14-2011, 11:17 PM
I think I might have figured out the problem. According to the temperature logs, the GPU Temperature maxed out at 125.6 degrees Fahrenheit before crashing. The maximum this temperature should be is only 109.4 degrees Fahrenheit according to HWinfo64. The GPU GT Cores also rose way above the suggested maximum temperature.

So, what are the next steps to troubleshoot this?

EDIT: things I have already done: 1. Updated BIOS to 203, 2. Updated nVidia drivers to 285.62

Yahooligan
11-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Hmmm, IMO 109F and even 125F aren't particularly hot for a GPU under load. You sure it wasn't reporting in C? The GTX560m is good for 80-90 degrees C, which is 175F-195F. Doesn't sound like temperature is your problem.

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Um, you have a wrong idea, someplace. Gpu's can go up to 90c before there's danger. That Min and Max you're seeing are not limits.

stridoom
11-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Yes, I am sure it's not Celsius. Oh, I didn't know that the temps in HWinfo64 aren't necessarily the limits. Any other suggestions?? Here is a picture of what my screen looks like when it crashes, no idea if it will help you guys out: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-tKyoA_Kz3sE/TsGaQmGQoLI/AAAAAAAAATk/sERz4oL9tdg/s800/20111114_174545.jpg

fixitchris
11-15-2011, 02:25 AM
Wasn't Skyrim just released? I would go after the Skyrim logs or try messing with the game settings in the Nvidia control panel?

gypsymoth
11-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Does it happen in every game? Or just Skyrim?

stridoom
11-15-2011, 02:57 AM
It has happened to previous games also..I never figured out how to fix it though.

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 01:20 PM
I have a feeling it's a hardware issue. Make a hard copy of that screen and include it if you RMA. Tell them it's a heat and that it takes a long time, sometimes, to pop up: they may just replace the Motherboard. ;p

stridoom
11-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I bought my laptop at best buy. Do you think I should try and take it to the Geek Squad??

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
I bought my laptop at best buy. Do you think I should try and take it to the Geek Squad??

It's worth a shot.

stridoom
11-15-2011, 05:14 PM
After I get off work today, I plan on bringing it to a local bookstore and playing games there. For some reason, the last time I played a game successfully was in the bookstore. I was thinking that maybe the fact that a wall is behind my laptop when playing at my house might or might not affect it since it may block air flow. The wall is about 4 inches behind the fan on the back. But, I tested this theory and brought my laptop on my bed with nothing behind the laptop and the game still crashed.

gypsymoth
11-16-2011, 12:02 AM
The bed is not a good place for a "heat" test. If you are concerned about air flow problem (with the wall behind your computer), then you should test it on a kitchen table or something like that. Most laptops sucks cold air from the bottom of the laptop and pump hot air out the side or back of the computer. By putting the laptop on the bed, you blocked the cold air intake and possibly made your problem worse.

First thing to check, if you believe you have a "heat" problem, is whether the air vents are dirty/clogged. Clean them out thoroughly.

Second thing to check is whether the fans are working properly. If the fans are loud or noisy, it's a sure sign that it's ready to fail. If it's not spinning at all, then your fan has already failed. In both cases, replacing the fans will fix your problem.

Yahooligan
11-16-2011, 12:08 AM
The bed is not a good place for a "heat" test. If you are concerned about air flow problem (with the wall behind your computer), then you should test it on a kitchen table or something like that. Most laptops sucks cold air from the bottom of the laptop and pump hot air out the side or back of the computer. By putting the laptop on the bed, you blocked the cold air intake and possibly made your problem worse.

The G74 actually pulls air in from vents near the display hinge on the top side, the bottom is completely vent-free so it won't matter what surface the laptop is on as long as the vents in the rear aren't being blocked. :)

gypsymoth
11-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the correction.

gypsymoth
11-16-2011, 12:16 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but since it came up . . . if the intake vents are on the top side. Does closing the lid block the air vents? I run the laptop under my desk with the lid closed 100% of the time. Will that be a problem? (Sorry, I'm not anywhere close to the computer to check myself.)

xeromist
11-16-2011, 12:56 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but since it came up . . . if the intake vents are on the top side. Does closing the lid block the air vents? I run the laptop under my desk with the lid closed 100% of the time. Will that be a problem? (Sorry, I'm not anywhere close to the computer to check myself.)

I've thought the same thing about my G73 but I've come to the conclusion that closing the lid doesn't create a seal so it can still pull air through. I'd be curious if it makes any difference with the G74. Can you run some sort of temperature monitoring app (maybe speccy since it'll give you CPU & GPU) and see if the temps change?

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 01:08 AM
The G74 has plenty of room in the hinge, where the intake vents are. I keep mine closed most of the time and the temps stay nice.

Yahooligan
11-16-2011, 01:12 AM
The vents are under the hinge on the G74, it doesn't pull any air from the keyboard area. With the lid closed you'll see a gap between the display and the hinge on the top of the laptop near the rear, this is where the air is pulled in both when the lid is open and closed. No difference in airflow. :)

stridoom
11-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Update: I've sent my laptop off to the Geek Squad. Hopefully they will be able to fix it. It was still under manufacture's warranty, so, it's a free repair.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 02:28 PM
It should still be under Asus warranty for a long time to come.

gypsymoth
11-16-2011, 10:04 PM
I went home last night and looked under the notebook. Sure enough, there is no vents under it. However, I also couldn't find any vents near the LCD hinge. So I came back here being intrigued.

This morning, I showed my friend the G74SX I got using this web page:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/

Close to the bottom of this web page is the following paragraph with a picture illustration:

"Blow It Out the Rear"

The harder you work, the more heat you generate. A computer is no different, and with the amount of power in the G74SX, some serious cooling is needed. A unique venting design pulls air from underneath the notebook, cooling the system down, then vents it through the rear, keeping hot air away from the user and reducing ambient noise for prolonged gaming."

So I'm really surprised now. I don't understand how the notebook "pulls air from underneath the notebook". When I get home, I'll have to examine the notebook further.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 10:14 PM
It pulls air from the intakes under the display lid, on the main unit. Look in the space between the display and main unit and you'll see vents.

xeromist
11-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a translation error. I think they meant to say under the screen, not imply that the air was coming from under the chassis.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 11:02 PM
"Blow It Out The Rear". I wonder if they realized . . .

They should take Asus Update and do that with it for all the good it does. lol

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 11:38 PM
And then there's WinFlash......I think that one WAS blown out of somebody's rear!

JRd1st
11-17-2011, 01:34 AM
The Atheros card, too. . . . and whoever is supposed to update the drivers on the support pages . . . .

Chastity@ASUS
11-18-2011, 10:31 PM
@gypsymoth: Let me know how the unit works after Best Buy Geek Squad repair.

stridoom
11-22-2011, 08:00 PM
@gypsymoth: Let me know how the unit works after Best Buy Geek Squad repair.

It was actually my laptop (not gypsymoth's) that was sent to the Geek Squad.

Anyway, I checked the status of the repair online and it should be shipping back to the store I left it at. When I called the Geek Squad, they told me that the motherboard needed to be replaced.

Well, I hope it will work now!

By the way, what can cause a motherboard to break? Please answer this question anybody, so that I can avoid doing this in the future.

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Lots of things. Especially since the gpu I integrated into this board.

Any icon theboard going bad can cause it to need replacement. These asus techs are tube-jockies. They just replace parts, thwy ddont do a lot of troubleshooting.

stridoom
11-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Can powering off the laptop by holding down on the power button cause a motherboard to break??

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 08:26 PM
No, the worst that could do is cause windows to not save some settings before it shuts off.

BrodyBoy
11-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Can powering off the laptop by holding down on the power button cause a motherboard to break??A motherboard doesn't really "break," per se. Rather one of the integrated components fails and this requires replacement of the entire board. There are a lot of chips soldered onto the board....GPU, chipset, BIOS, USB/PCI/LAN/SATA controllers, etc....as well as the power supply system. Additionally, there are a variety of connectors soldered directly onto the board. If any of these components is defective or damaged, the whole board gets replaced.

Powering off the way you did cannot cause hardware damage. In fact, aside from torquing the power jack (which is soldered to the M/B), there's nothing you did or could do in normal use that'll physically damage the motherboard. MOst likely, there was just a defective component that failed.....assuming the BB geeks have any clue what they're doing.

stridoom
11-30-2011, 12:31 PM
finally got my g74sx back and so far it is working great.

go geek squad!