PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JS Fan problem solved?

Dimerius
03-04-2015, 11:57 PM
Hi, bought a G750JS with a gtx870m and I noticed the weird CPU fan problem.
During idle like browsing etc the CPU fan starts to spin to like 50% or 100% for a few minutes.
It starts to spin at ~ 45 degrees and stops till it reaches 40/41 degrees.
This happens every 2-3 mins and I checked CPU Usage(it's max 2-4%)
Is there anything that I could do or should I RMA?

BIOS version is 208
tried undervolting, looking for background process
nothing really helped

tian447
03-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Doesn't seem right, but I did have a similar problem with it sounding like it was going to take off all the time.

Have you tried running it on Power Saving mode for when you don't want to be doing anything CPU/GPU intensive? I usually have mine set this way and it makes little to no noise when just being used, unless it's been on for a couple of hours.

The problem I have just now is that my JS runs the fans at a high speed for the first 2 minutes after being powered up or woken from sleep, and then dies off over the next 30 seconds down to minimal and even that is enough to annoy the hell out of me. It's just irritating to be sitting in a university lecture or meeting and it sounds like a Formula 1 car breeding with a hornets nest for a few minutes before calming itself down to nothing.

Prostar Computer
03-05-2015, 08:37 PM
The EC firmware controls the fan behavior as far as I remember. Perhaps there's a firmware update for it?

hmscott
03-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Hi, bought a G750JS with a gtx870m and I noticed the weird CPU fan problem.
During idle like browsing etc the CPU fan starts to spin to like 50% or 100% for a few minutes.
It starts to spin at ~ 45 degrees and stops till it reaches 40/41 degrees.
This happens every 2-3 mins and I checked CPU Usage(it's max 2-4%)
Is there anything that I could do or should I RMA?
BIOS version is 208
tried undervolting, looking for background process
nothing really helped

Dimerius, fan noise is generated when the fans run to cool the CPU/GPU, usually the CPU in the case of what you are seeing. There is something running that is causing the extra heat generation, usually Search Indexing or Media indexing, anti-virus system scans also do this.

You can disable Windows indexing easily and keep the search service up by removing all the areas that are getting indexed. Searches will take longer without the pre-built indexes, but at least you won't get the noisy fan intermittently and you will stop lag induced by the disk activity during games.

The Asus / Cyberlink DVD will also index media, simply remove those folders from the list of places to look and the indexing will stop.

You can see what is running during those noisy fan runs, keep Windows Task Manager up all the time, with the Performance monitoring window tab set for Disk monitoring, then switch over to it when you hear the fan noise to catch the program doing it.

Click on the Open Resource Monitor (in blue at bottom left)

Then you can configure the app correctly to run when you want it to run, or uninstall it if it is misbehaving :)

Dimerius
03-07-2015, 12:05 AM
Hi,

First of all I want to thank u guys.
I disabled windows search index turned it on power saving mode and it seems like the fan makes no noise.
Opening a browser like chrome or IE will start the cpu fan, but just for 10-15 seconds. It starts again when I browse.
I also noticed sometimes it starts when svchost(netscvs) or IE are above 100k-120k Read b/s and sometimes svchost.exe with 2-3k Read b/s,but this just happens sometimes.
So what could cause that?

Edit:

Is there a way to keep the CPU at 45-46 deg. so the fan wont stop?
The fan noise at 45 is acceptable for me.