PDA

View Full Version : Got the g74sx!

MPerni
11-15-2011, 02:59 AM
Like 5 days ago i get to NY and i buy the notebook in B&H. For this days that i have been using it, i have to say that i didnīt got any problem. All is working very good, so i am happy!! Iīm not testing it at 100% cause must of the time iīm away walking by the city hehe (already test all usb, card reader, touchpad, etc, basic things...)
I got a question! I got the 1.5 TB version (2 HD), but it has 4 partitions (itīs called like that?) like C: D: F: E: , i want to have only 2, is there a way to eliminate 2 without installing windows again?? So i have C: with the OS and more programs with 750gb and other 750gb in D:

Thanks!

Panda
11-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Hi, i'm an owner of a g74sx for 2 months. Can you tell me how loud your fans are? I'm kinda paranoid about the loudness of my fans.

fixitchris
11-15-2011, 04:04 AM
D and F you can combine into one. Then you can possibly use some partitioning tool to bring C and E together.

BrodyBoy
11-15-2011, 08:23 AM
I got a question! I got the 1.5 TB version (2 HD), but it has 4 partitions (itīs called like that?) like C: D: F: E: , i want to have only 2, is there a way to eliminate 2 without installing windows again?? So i have C: with the OS and more programs with 750gb and other 750gb in D:

Thanks!

Sure, that's easy to do. You use a Windows utility called Disk Management. Here are the basic steps if you want only one volume on each disc:

Move any data that you need to save OFF the D: and F: drives. You will be deleting those partitions, and everything on them will be erased. (You will not lose data on the existing C: or E: drives.)

Open Windows Disk Management
(Start -> type "disc" in the search window -> select "Create and format hard disk partitions" from the menu)
You see two discs graphically represented. Disc 0 includes the C: and D: drives, while Disc 1 includes the E: and F: drives.
Select the F: volume on Disc 1 and right-click. Select "Delete volume" and approve the delete in the warning dialogue.What used to be the F: drive is now shown as unallocated space on Disc 1.
Select the E: volume on Disc 1 and right-click. Select "Expand volume." Windows examines the disc to determine how much room is available for expansion.
A dialogue box opens, allowing you to choose the amount of unallocated space for the expansion. Use the entire amount and hit "okay."
Your secondary hard drive is now one large drive.

Now you will expand the C: drive exactly the same way. Again, move any important data off the D: drive....everything on it will be

Select the D: volume on Disc 0, right-click, select delete volume, and confirm. Disc 0 will now have unallocated space.
Select the C: drive, right-click, and select "Expand volume."
Just as before, use all of the unallocated space to expand your C: drive.

Now, you just have one large partition on each 750Gb drive. (Disc 0 will also have a hidden partition that's reserved for the restore image.)

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Like 5 days ago i get to NY and i buy the notebook in B&H. For this days that i have been using it, i have to say that i didnīt got any problem.

Goof luck with your new RoG! :thumbsup:

-Ontic-
11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
My fans make NO sound at all. Super duper silent operation.

MPerni
11-16-2011, 02:01 AM
I cant hear any noise from the notebook, just my breathings hehe.
Thanks a lot, that helps me Brody!!
Thx JR!!
Still working 10 points!! The only thing i dont like is the dvd/blu ray reader/writer. When i made the recovery dvd and put it on it was like a toy, seems it was going to brake up.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Yes, those drives seem fragile. Easy to replace, though.

MPerni
11-17-2011, 02:35 AM
thatīs good to know!
Got another question, wich of this programs should i unistall?? Already unistall some but this ones i donīt know if i have to or what they do
Asus AI Recovery
Asus SmartLogon
Asus Splendid Video enhancement technology
Asus USb charger plus
Asus virtual Camera
CyberLink Power2Go
Cyberlink LabelPrint
syncabls desktop SE
Microsoft silverlight

Thanks!!

JRd1st
11-17-2011, 02:46 AM
All, unless youneed Silverlight for something.

BrodyBoy
11-17-2011, 04:04 AM
All, unless youneed Silverlight for something.
+1 Yup....get rid of all of it!

Be sure to add WinFlash and Asus Live Update to the list.....

fostert
11-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Agreed with JR...none of that stuff is useful. Plus I got rid of Nuance PDF Reader (never worked right for me), the cybertools stuff, and the ASUS winflash utility: never flash your BIOS from an OS! Asking for it, you are...

In fact you end up de-installing so much that its better to format, reinstall Win7 HP, and put on only the stuff you need. That way you won't have ghost garbage in your registry from incomplete uninstalls of all of this stuff.

BrodyBoy
11-17-2011, 04:17 AM
In fact you end up de-installing so much that its better to format, reinstall Win7 HP, and put on only the stuff you need. That way you won't have ghost garbage in your registry from incomplete installs of all of this stuff.
Absolutely! I couldn't agree more. When I clean install, the only Asus-provided software I keep is the ATK package. I love how well a clean, mean machine runs!

And you're so right about ghost garbage. It's remarkable how much clutter accumulates in there.

dstrakele
11-17-2011, 04:37 AM
thatīs good to know!
Got another question, wich of this programs should i unistall?? Already unistall some but this ones i donīt know if i have to or what they do
Asus AI Recovery
Asus SmartLogon
Asus USb charger plus
Asus virtual Camera
CyberLink Power2Go
Cyberlink LabelPrint
syncabls desktop SE
Microsoft silverlight

Thanks!!

Here is a guide to ASUS Utilities (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html) describing what they do and if they're safe to remove.

MPerni
11-26-2011, 12:30 AM
Thank you very much for that link!! Now i got it with less programs and runs even beter than before.
Just come back to Argentina yesterday, the notebook still working fine, the plane move a lot and i was worried about it but nothing happend hehe. Wonderfull country the US, come back with a lot of stuffs!
I wanna ask something, i upgraded one of the 2 HD discs to a crucial ssd m4 256gb. I want to sell the WD that i take away, but i donīt have all the specs, just know that is 750gb Black Caviar 7200rpm but doesnīt tell the MB cache. How much money does it worth it?? How much is it in amazon??

BrodyBoy
11-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Looks like they list for $179 on Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136835)and Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Internal-2-5-Inch/dp/B004I9J5OG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322267824&sr=8-1). You'd have to evaluate your local market to determine how much of a discount you'll have to offer for "used," even though it isn't really. (They're the "Scorpio" models, BTW. "Caviar" refers to their desktop equilivalents.)

Glad you enjoyed your visit here! :)

PS: You could always get a USB case and use it as an external storage or backup drive.

ricksaint
11-26-2011, 04:34 AM
thatīs good to know!
Asus AI Recovery
Asus SmartLogon
Asus USb charger plus
Asus virtual Camera
CyberLink Power2Go
Cyberlink LabelPrint
syncabls desktop SE
Microsoft silverlight

Thanks!!

You may want also to keep CyberLink Power2Go for burning CD or DVDs, unless you have another utility for that.

MPerni
11-26-2011, 02:40 PM
You may want also to keep CyberLink Power2Go for burning CD or DVDs, unless you have another utility for that.

Yeah, when i saw that it was for cd/dvd burning i left it installed hehe.

Thanks Brody!! Here in Argentina prices are like x2 than in the US so i guess that i will try to sell it around 300-350!! I thought about using it like a back up drive or a external HD, but already have a wd passport! Would be a good idea to have it like a back up drive, but money is money xd, itīs a good number to upgrade my reflex now.
Other question!! Have to change something in the Bios when using a SSD drive??

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Have to change something in the Bios when using a SSD drive??

I turned on UEFI, installed Intel RST, then Reinstalled the chipset drivers with the -overall switch.

AQUASTEVAE
11-27-2011, 12:29 AM
PS: You could always get a USB case and use it as an external storage or backup drive.

where can you get this usb housing, and how much are they, generally?

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 12:36 AM
I got mine on Amazon.com. they cac be about $5 por as much a $20 for a really nice one.

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Here's a typical one listed on Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392009)....a Vantech model that costs $24. But there are literally scores of these things. They're essentially just a SATA-to-USB adapter attached to an enclosure.

I have a bare SATA-to-USB adapter that I use....I'm cheap! No, actually, it's that I like to be able to grab any drive lying around and quickly attach it.

ricksaint
11-27-2011, 04:02 AM
Get one with USB 3.0 coectivity. You'll be amazed by the speed of file transfers.

AQUASTEVAE
11-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Get one with USB 3.0 coectivity. You'll be amazed by the speed of file transfers.

any particular one that you care to recommend?

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 12:52 PM
I like the Silverstone one, it's about $22

ricksaint
11-27-2011, 04:37 PM
any particular one that you care to recommend?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182237

A bit more epensive but includes IDE:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198048&Tpk=N82E16817198048

MPerni
11-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Thx JR, here are my 2 results or benchmarks from the SSD m4 256, are they fine??

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6580/92405207.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6340/asssdbenchm4ct256m4ssd2.png

BrodyBoy
11-27-2011, 07:35 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182237

A bit more epensive but includes IDE:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198048&Tpk=N82E16817198048
Those docks are another option, but they're not the enclosures he was asking about. Enclosures essentially turn the HDD into a portable external drive (WD Passport-like), so they'd have a somewhat different application.

ricksaint
11-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Those docks are another option, but they're not the enclosures he was asking about. Enclosures essentially turn the HDD into a portable external drive (WD Passport-like), so they'd have a somewhat different application.

Versatility, not mobility, is my priority. That's why I use these.

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Thx JR, here are my 2 results or benchmarks from the SSD m4 256, are they fine??

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6580/92405207.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6340/asssdbenchm4ct256m4ssd2.png

Hell yeah!

MPerni
11-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Well, now iīm 100% ready with the notebook!! Very happy about the performance.
What about the battery charger?? The other day i was with my brother in the living room, both with our laptops. Me with the asus g74, and he with a vaio (donīt know the model, but a good one). When i power off my laptop and take out the battery charger, i picked up the transformer (donīt know if itīs called like that, the brick between the 2 cables) and it was veryyyy hot, then i touch the vaioīs one and iit was like ok. Donīt know if itīs normal that the temperature goes to high in the brick, cause the power of the machine!

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 01:12 PM
The "brick" does get hot after a full charge depending on the ambient, of course. Keep it someplace where the air circulates around it. ;)

MPerni
11-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Well now that you said that i check it in my room where i have air conditioning and itīs better. Here itīs summer and the temperature is 30°C+ so in some places it will get hot!
Just finish some render tests from projects of the university. Did the same render in the notebook and with my, now old, core2duo pc.
1 render in 3dmax in 720p, in the c2d take me 6 minutes (a simple one, many poligons but without heavy materials). In the notebook it take me 1:30
A render in Premiere (Exporting as quicktime h264) of a 1:30 video, full hd, with just 1 video effect of magic bullets takes me like 40 minutes in the c2d and just 7 in the notebook. And videos now run very smooth without a prerender.

Iīm so happy!!!

JRd1st
11-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Its good to hear a happy voice once in a while!