PDA

View Full Version : Crashing in windowed games

icwhatudidthere
03-05-2015, 03:16 PM
I remember a few weeks/months back there were some threads about people crashing after 10-15 minutes of playing a game, Starcraft was one of them. I just started having this problem this past weekend where the screen attached to the GPU would go black for about 5 seconds and then the system would just power cycle like you hit a reset button. I thought it was strange because there was no heat issue with the card, it stayed a perfectly steady 81 degrees C, nothing funny in behavior, no lockups, no consistent events in Event Viewer after the crash either.

The only change I made was I started playing Elite Dangerous in Windowed mode this weekend and suddenly this started happening to me. It was pretty consistent, after about 20-30 minutes playing in windowed mode, I got the exact same black screen followed by an instant reset. I switched back to full screen mode and sure enough, it's stable for hours on end. I've been leaving the game playing, just flying around for 3-4 hours and I've had no problems since.

After three crashes I put an Alienware Area 51 in my cart in newegg and was about to pick it up except for all this snow we're having. I love the G20 case design and how quiet it is, I just wish another company made it. This is likely my last Asus product ever.

Anyway, just putting this in the forums as a kind of knowledge base/warning article.

GoHack
03-06-2015, 05:14 AM
How much memory does your system have, 8 or 16GB?

What do you have your Virtual Memory set at?

icwhatudidthere
03-06-2015, 04:05 PM
I've got 16GB. Not sure about VM I'll check when I get home.

Have you seen memory issues cause this kind of behavior before?

GoHack
03-09-2015, 03:40 AM
I've got 16GB. Not sure about VM I'll check when I get home.

Have you seen memory issues cause this kind of behavior before?

I thought you may of been short on memory, which w/16GB, your not.

It's weird about the Window Mode giving you problems, especially w/16GB of memory. I would imagine though, the Window Mode would require more resources, like memory and CPU, and thus would be a little slower. Why do you play in Window Mode anyway, to allow you switch into Windows easily w/o exiting the game?

icwhatudidthere
03-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Yeah there are some third party tools available to for Elite to track your flight log and trading.

Good point about resources. The reset behavior makes me think it's a power issue, I wonder if running in window mode maxes the power supplies out due to the increased resource usage.

Phim8a
03-16-2015, 08:12 AM
Yeah my g20 will die on any game that is using the 3D Graphics, I am thinking of replacing the 760 with something that sucks less.

Anyone ever resolve this issue, I really don't want to return it for warranty work

Ravenholme
03-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Try going into Device manager and disabling the Intel graphics directly. uninstall some of the bloatware that may be causing issues. update to the latest nvidia drivers. might stabilize things a bit.