PDA

View Full Version : G73sw Reboot and select proper boot device

Kingpriest
03-05-2015, 06:28 PM
I dissembled my laptop to see where I needed to install my new ram upgrade. After I put it back together I got this message.

Reboot and select proper boot device.

I logged into the bio and reset to default settings. I also noted that the bio does recognize my HD.

However after restarting it still gives me the "proper boot device" message.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

cl-Albert
03-10-2015, 12:19 AM
If reseating the hard drive doesn't help and nothing obvious is apparent, suggest re-tracing your steps and taking it apart again to check and re-connect cables, etc.

It sounds like there is an FFC cable for the 'hard drive board' to the motherboard, so especially keep an eye on this.

Good luck!

C4RN1
03-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Try to use the other available slot, I would guess that either you damaged the cable or that your machine is being picky and seeing a particular hardware address for boot. If swapping the hdd bays don't work just replace the hdd connector board.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-G73-G73SW-G73JW-Hard-Drive-Connector-Board-69N0H3J10D01-01-60-NY8HD1000-D01-/261453999770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdfdf6e9a

kombiesrule
03-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Hi,

I had a problem with my G73SW with the hard drive not being detected sometimes and then sometimes being detected.

I had been taking my laptop apart more and more, once to service the cooling fans and give them a good clean and then later I had to replace the motherboard because I had fried my BIOS by updating it one to many times.

After replacing the motherboard I was frustrated that the hard drives were not being detected at all, I tried using both bays or just one and then the other but nothing would work, I tried buying a brand new hard drive but that was not detected either, I was beginning to think it was a no win situation. Then after reading on this or another forum that you had to open up the flat ribbon cable that went from the motherboard to the little sisterboard for the hard drives to plug into and put a piece of small folded up paper inbetween the folded over section and that would make the cable work as the fold was a weak point and the wires inside the flat ribbon had broken and this would make the fold open up a bit and this would make the cable work again. I tried this but it did not work for me. Then I decided to completely remove the short flat ribbon cable that went from the short sisterboard to the motherboard and have a look at it and Eureka! I found the problem, underneath the flat ribbon cable where it poked into the connector on the motherboard the silver wire section on several of the wires had completely worn away from me undoing the cable every time I took my laptop apart. I will post pictures to show you the extent of the damage to the cable below. But after having a good look at the end of the ribbon cable I decided to try and cut off the worn end of the cable with a pair of sharp kitchen scissors and then poke the cable back into the connector on the motherboard and put my laptop back together and it worked! I now have no more problems with the laptop not detecting my harddrives and my samsung evo ssd and my new 2TB Seagate harddrive are both detected everytime with this simple fix which makes perfect sense once you look at the cable it just could not make the connection for the harddrive to talk to the motherboard, but the problem was hidden because it was on the underside of the cable out of sight.

Hope this helps someone, I did track down a person who was selling the flat ribbon cable of his laptop to suit mine but I ended up not needing it as what I did by cutting the damaged end off solved the problem.