PDA

View Full Version : Just got a New G53SW-A1 Tips on running it fast?

anvancy
11-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Hello people. new member here. I just bought the Asus G53SW-A1. Its with my friend in US.

What I need to know is, any tips on improving the performance? When ntune was run the lappy gave a BSOD.

He has updated to the latest nvidia drivers. he will update the Wi-fi driver.

Did a small temp test and under load the CPU is showing as 81C.under idle conditions its hovering sub 52C. is this ideal?

Anvancy

fuzon1337
11-15-2011, 07:46 AM
Hi and welcome to ROG forums :D

Look at this thread New Drivers (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers)

Also you could check Asus Support (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G53SW&p=3&s=282) ;)

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 01:16 PM
The main things you need to do are few if you install a fresh Win7 Home Premium installation. It may seem like a lot of work, but compared to making the stock installation comparable, it's a small task.

anvancy
11-15-2011, 05:20 PM
The main things you need to do are few if you install a fresh Win7 Home Premium installation. It may seem like a lot of work, but compared to making the stock installation comparable, it's a small task.

Its hardly a few days old.so there is no data on it.

So I should do a clean install of W7? can you tell which ASUS softwares to keep even after the fresh install?

Also the temps that I quoted are fine?

Thanks

Anvancy

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 05:54 PM
I'd keep Power4Gear hybrid, wireless console 3, fastboot, and life frame 3. You're going to need to reinstall them. If you look in the New Drivers sticky, you'll find updated drivers, Asus apps, and even a Windows7 install iso with SP1 integrated. You'd need to burn that to a DVD. You should get everything you need ahead of time and save it to a usb flash drive or to another hdd.

xeromist
11-15-2011, 05:55 PM
The temps are not ideal but they should be OK. I would see what the temp is while gaming since that's not the same as artificial stress testing.

The clean install just gives you a minimal base install where you can add only what you absolutely need. I don't think that it will dramatically increase the speed since most installed software is idle but it's nice to have a clean start.

If you decided to do it then you'll want to have at least the ASUS ATK package (as well as drivers of course). The ATK is what allows the function keys on the laptop to work.

anvancy
11-21-2011, 01:35 PM
I think I will stick with what I have initially and keep checking the performance. My friend has not tested much games yet. Will wait for the updates from his side.

Anvancy

fostert
11-22-2011, 04:17 AM
Only thing I've done to bump performance is experiment with overclocking the GPU (560M) a bit using MSI Afterburner. Got my WEI graphics scores to 7.4 (from 7.2) with a reasonable set of frequencies that I can use 24/7, and the GPU stays <80C.

Not a G53 owner (G74SX-CST1) but those CPU temps sound brutal. My idle for the core i7 2630QM is <40C, under load never > 71C. Thats with an ambient room temp of 21C (70F). Wuts your ambient? Now I know the G74 has a better cooling system, but still...might consider a repaste someday soon: I know it seems unlikely with a new notebook and all but I have found very oftentimes the factory pastings are done way too thick with too much of a glob of paste. A thinner coat plus a reseat may drop your temps by 2-5 deg. Its the first thing I do for all my new desktops; a notebook is a bit more involved mind you. Something for down the road anyways...

anvancy
01-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Hey people,

I finally got the laptop in my hands. this laptop is wonderful and performs as expected. Till now I did not find problems with it. The Wifi driver is updated.I did not remove the bloatware but I am planning to remove it in the coming days. Played NFS Run not on Full HD but at 1366 resolution and it was running silky smooth all settings Ultra.

Sharing a photo with you people.

Have a few more images.Will share them once I finish editing them.

Thanks for the support.

Anvancy