PDA

View Full Version : How to setup G750JZ running external 3D monitor?

Mjag01
03-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Can you setup a G750JZ to run a external monitor in 3d? And if so, could you please give me a quick explaination on how to setup. Do you need a male HDMI end to a DVI-D. Then a DVID-D to monitor. I not sure about my wording. Don't want to buy a monitor if will not work.
Thanks in advance, Mjag01
(my Prime runs out in one day)

hmscott
03-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Can you setup a G750JZ to run a external monitor in 3d? And if so, could you please give me a quick explaination on how to setup. Do you need a male HDMI end to a DVI-D. Then a DVID-D to monitor. I not sure about my wording. Don't want to buy a monitor if will not work.
Thanks in advance, Mjag01
(my Prime runs out in one day)

Mjag01, there isn't enough time to gain the info you need to 100% certainty, unless someone comes on and confirms the monitor you are interested in (why didn't you post the make/model??) and the Nvidia 3D kit work together with a G750JZ (or other Optimus enabled G750, JM,JS,JY).

That is extremely unlikely. :)

AFAIK the Optimus based G750's screw up the potential for 3D, and can't be used, that is the only data point I can give. Optimus in those laptops requires the monitor settings be done with the Intel Control Panel - look to see if you can set the option for greater than 60hz or make a customer resolution that allows it - I don't think you can. Also, the Nvidia 3D Vision kit may need a direct connection to the GPU / Monitor in order to set things up correctly - the Intel iGPU runs all the video in the JM/JS/JZ/JY, so I don't think that will work either.

Sorry I don't have direct experience, but we haven't seen anyone mention this works, ever, and you have a short response period, so I thought I would give you what I know.

Hopefully someone that has done it, or failed to do it, will post too :)

Update: google turned up a confirmation of failure:
https://www.google.com/search?q=nvidia+3d+vision+g750+failed+to+work&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

3D Vision not working with Optimus Fails to install and activate
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/494468/geforce-mobile-gpus/3d-vision-not-working-with-optimus-fails-to-install-and-activate/post/4208856/#4208856

"I can get my external display to go to 120hz (ASUS G750 Series G750JZ-DS71) but still no 3dvision mode. Is it supported or not? Thanks! "

At least you can run a high refresh monitor, that is worth it for many games :)

I don't think hardware assisted G-sync works with the Optimus G750's... so a fast refresh monitor would work, but not the G-sync monitor hardware assisted feature.

Mjag01
03-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Can you turn off the Optimus software. Not having much luck. I'm running Acer 24 inch 144hz monitor to the mini hdmi and then converting to dual band dvi-d to monitor. I would like to know if this is the right setup or am I missing something.

Mjag01
03-15-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks. I figured it out. you need an active Dual Band DVD-D. It plugs into the HDMI and also need power from a
USB Port. They are pricey. Range from $50.00 to 100.00. Works great!!!