PDA

View Full Version : installing SSD to my G751 JT , need help

katim2004
03-07-2015, 03:38 PM
hi guys

I just bought my new G751JT few days ago , best laptop i have ever had !

i wanna install my SSD 250 Gb , i have few questions :

do i need to replace my SSD with HDD ? to get better performance ?

do i need to change setting in BIOS ? AHCI or something?

can a beginner like me do it himself ? or should i go to some expert?

anything else i need to know before doing it ? im kinda scared i miss up my device , so i ask alot :))

thanks

katim2004
03-07-2015, 07:32 PM
btw i have g751 CH71

Clintlgm
03-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Download Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx), Pull you hard drive out, install your SSD, hook up your hard drive VIA USB and clone your hard drive to your SSD. Macrium has all the direction on there web site.

Perhaps before you do this, download Asus Backtracker (http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008641)and create a restore to factory USB thumb drive.

You can also use this USB to restore to your newly installed SSD

The main differences are backtracker will always put your computer back to factory shipped state.
Macrium Reflect will bring you back to where you were when you made the Image or Clone

Swarmy
03-07-2015, 10:41 PM
All I did was put the hdd into secondary lot, rebooted the lappy to show it where primary boot drive is, then simply plopped ssd in the main slot and used macrium to create a 1:1 copy of partitions (shrinking the empty space) then take out the hdd while leaving the ssd in there and voila. Then reformat hdd and there you have your storage drive.

katim2004
03-08-2015, 04:15 AM
thank u guys for helping

Download Macrium Reflect, Pull you hard drive out, install your SSD, hook up your hard drive VIA USB and clone your hard drive to your SSD. Macrium has all the direction on there web site.

Perhaps before you do this, download Asus Backtracker and create a restore to factory USB thumb drive.

You can also use this USB to restore to your newly installed SSD

The main differences are backtracker will always put your computer back to factory shipped state.
Macrium Reflect will bring you back to where you were when you made the Image or Clone

All I did was put the hdd into secondary lot, rebooted the lappy to show it where primary boot drive is, then simply plopped ssd in the main slot and used macrium to create a 1:1 copy of partitions (shrinking the empty space) then take out the hdd while leaving the ssd in there and voila. Then reformat hdd and there you have your storage drive.

hi guys thanks for helping

I can use Samsung migration tool to clone my HDD content to SSD , without using Macrium Reflect ?

correct me if im wrong , i will clone my HDD to SSD using Samsung migration tool , then take out the HDD from the primary slot , install my SSD into the primary slot , finally install HDD to secondary slot .

if yes , will the windows boot from HDD or SSD ? should i change BIOS settings to force him to boot from SSD , at least until I format the HDD .

and do i need to set SATA configuration to AHCI in BIOS settings?

thank u again for helping

Cygnus_X1
03-08-2015, 04:53 AM

Will the free version of Macrium do the trick or do you have to buy Home Edition? I'm basically planning to do the same thing as katim2004, replace the main drive with a Samsung 850 SSD and move the 1tb drive to the second slot. I also appreciate the info about using Backtracker to backup the restore partition. I assume the OS is on there since the system didn't come with any media backup.

Swarmy
03-08-2015, 06:44 AM
I used the free version of Macrium.

And what I did was leave a single drive in the laptop, bios autodetects and sets it as the boot drive after first boot. So once I had everything copied over I pulled the 1tb out and rebooted to teach bios that SSD is the boot drive now, and then put the 1TB back in and wiped it.

katim2004
03-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Will the free version of Macrium do the trick or do you have to buy Home Edition? I'm basically planning to do the same thing as katim2004, replace the main drive with a Samsung 850 SSD and move the 1tb drive to the second slot. I also appreciate the info about using Backtracker to backup the restore partition. I assume the OS is on there since the system didn't come with any media backup.

yes , Asus backtracker will copy everything in the hidden recovery partition in your HDD , so u will have a clean copy of windows .

Dirk_Bogard
03-08-2015, 07:56 PM
correct me if im wrong , i will clone my HDD to SSD using Samsung migration tool , then take out the HDD from the primary slot , install my SSD into the primary slot , finally install HDD to secondary slot .

I am planning to do something similar, but I was going to use the secondary slot for the SSD since that slot is SATA III-capable, whereas the primary slot is not (as far as I know :rolleyes: ). I have the Crucial MX100 512G SATA 3 SSD. I was planning to modify the BIOS to attempt to boot from the secondary drive bay first, then the drive bay which originally contained the HDD, then a USB port (if you can specify any USB port)...

I'm going to check out that Macrium thing...

Swarmy
03-09-2015, 02:29 AM
The primary slot is the one with m.2 connector AND sata 3 connection. That is where they put in the drive if you didnt get the ssd version. The secondary slot is only sata 2, so you do not want ssd in there.

katim2004
03-09-2015, 03:30 AM
The primary slot is the one with m.2 connector AND sata 3 connection. That is where they put in the drive if you didnt get the ssd version. The secondary slot is only sata 2, so you do not want ssd in there.

ok so what i was going to do is right , putting the SSD in the primary slot and the HDD in the secondary slot , then boot from SSD after cloning it ofc .

thanks so much for helping me out

soniality
06-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Hi Katim, you doing it successfully or not? The hardware shop staff told me not to put the SSD to the primary slot as it will crash. which he tried before.

i was thinking to do the same like you. i have clone the original HDD to the new SSD and now my SSD is sitting at the secondary slot. and i got alot problem booting from the SSD. the staff reformat the SSD and clone couple of times before success. is it safe for me to switch my SSD with my HDD? i still have my original window file in HDD.

btw, i'm using Trancend 128GB SSD

if switch my HDD and SSD slot failed(i.e unable to boot) can i switch it back and will the system auto boot from the HDD again?