PDA

View Full Version : G55 user and windows files

MrLulz
03-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Recently my g55 managed to die on me. as a result i built out the SSD and hooked it up to my desktop in order to secure my data.
Now i am at a complete loss since the User and windows folder is no where to be found on said SSD. i am showing hidden files and folders. All other data is still readable and has been secured but i can't reach the data stored on my desktop obviously.
I've been retrieving data using this method for years. has something changed in win 8.1 I'm not aware of or do rog laptops use some strange mini storage hidden away somewhere i didn't notice (which would make no sense partition wise since there obviously is no raid here anyway)

Clintlgm
03-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Well secure boot might be blocking system files of which User are. Otherwise I never keep data on my OS Drive to much of chance of loosing it. If you have a recient image Back up you could mount it and extract the files your looking for.

MrLulz
03-09-2015, 11:10 PM
well i disabled secure boot i think. the best i could do is switch from Windows UEFI mods to Other OS which should indirectly disable secure boot since Rampage V Extreme doesn't appear to let you disable secure boot directly. Unfortunately i still can't find those folders. (if anyone knows if there is a way to make RVE let you disable boot secure directly it would be much appreciated)
Also i'm a dumbass for not mentioning that i actually have two windows HDs out of two sepperate computers hooked up (in addition to the actually boot drive) and the other HD (which was from a custom Win7 rig) shows windows and user folders normally.