PDA

View Full Version : G751JY and LG 34UM95 with Thunderbolt Cable Trouble

dice83
03-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Thanks in advance for any help.

Having an issue with getting the G751JY to connect to the LG 34UM95 display via a Thunderbolt Cable.

Uninstalled NVidia Drivers, used Driver Sweeper, uninstalled Thunderbolt Drivers, reinstalled both. Thunderbolt management now SHOWS the monitor, it shows up in screen resolution as a monitor, but won't let me actually choose it as a monitor.

Kinda driving myself a little mad here.

Am I missing something?! Any ideas?

flowepower
06-30-2015, 12:15 PM
same problem needs urgent help !!! If anyone can help please kindly tell us what is the problem... my rig can see the device but i cannot select the monitor as an active device... Someone ? Thx in advance

flowepower
06-30-2015, 03:35 PM
I cannot believe that nobody tried it before and there has to be a solution for that or this is another amazing feature from asus like usb 3.0 ports... ????

bluepinapples
06-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Might be a problem with that monitor. I connect my G751JY to my LG 34UC97 through thunderbolt and have no issues.

flowepower
06-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Might be a problem with that monitor. I connect my G751JY to my LG 34UC97 through thunderbolt and have no issues.

May i ask how did you do it ?

flowepower
06-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Anyone Guys ? it is really a pain in the ass.. i only can use my monitor at 50hz atm... :(

bluepinapples
07-01-2015, 03:19 AM
the monitor i use takes a display port full size, so i used a full size to mini display port adapter.
Plugged it right into the laptop and it recognized the device right away.
I usually just have the laptop display to the monitor ONLY, i rarely use it as a dual monitor setup.

flowepower
07-01-2015, 12:27 PM
wait a sec :) on the laptop we have hdmi vga and a thunderbolt option.. on the monitor we have hdmi, display port, thunderbolt. Our problem is we can't get any picture on thunderbolt i mean we cannot activate the display, the system aware the we have a device connected but that's it ! I think you misunderstand our problem :)

bluepinapples
07-02-2015, 05:30 AM
Ohhhhhhh okay i haven't tried thunderbolt, get better picture quality through displayport. If i had the cable i would give it a try

flowepower
07-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Ohhhhhhh okay i haven't tried thunderbolt, get better picture quality through displayport. If i had the cable i would give it a try

I dont get it man.. what display port are you talking about ? on laptop we DO NOT HAVE displayport at all.

bluepinapples
07-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Thunderbolt is back compatible with mini-display port. I use a mini-display port to full size display port adapter for the lg monitor.

Clintlgm
07-03-2015, 01:55 AM
Are you sure about that? have you tried a Mini Display to display to your monitor?? Does your monitor support Thunder bolt? I have been under the impression that TB is for External devices like external Video card or external hard drives etc and Display port is for monitors. It seem not all G751 support only TB As that port is working for Bluepinapples as a Display port?????? I can't answer as my G75 was suppose to have both Thunder Bolt and Display port but all I got was Display port. infact that's all any of the G75VW ever got. Then again back then there really weren't many TB devices to add actualy there still aren't many devices out there to add.

Edit here is some information for you. "Note: As long as the Mini Display adapter is not directly attached to an Apple Thunderbolt Display device the Video/Display should work.[" I got this from the following link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thunderbolt-compatible_devices#Monitors

joshindaphils
07-03-2015, 02:42 AM
I dont get it man.. what display port are you talking about ? on laptop we DO NOT HAVE displayport at all.

You do via the thunderbolt port... just plug in a cable with miniDP at least at one end and your good to go. You can even do this daisy chaining TB devices and use a DP cable as the last hop to your display.

Ruining my main monitor quite comfortably of a miniDP to DP cable right now on my g751. No need to spend on a TB cable.

FYI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

I'm amusing it is TB2 as I get DP1.2 over the TB port... though it is not specified anywhere and I haven't bothered to really dig into it (a quick googling netted naught). If you are using a TB1 cable this may be the source of your misery. TB1 only multiplexes DP1.1a. You may want to set the monitor to 1.1/a and double check that DP1.1a has enough pipe to feed your monitor native res at the frequency you want.

flowepower
07-03-2015, 02:57 AM
are you saying that you use thunderbolt port and a minidp-dp cable to get the picture with 60hz ?

joshindaphils
07-03-2015, 03:25 AM
are you saying that you use thunderbolt port and a minidp-dp cable to get the picture with 60hz ?

Technically I said you can, when you daisy chain through a TB device. PC -> TB cable -> TB device -> DP Cable -> Display... like that.

I am using a *only* a DP cable to my 4k display. For me to get 60Hz I had to switch a setting for DP from 1.1 to 1.2 on the display. Not sure if that is needed on all displays or not.

To clarify further there are currently 2 varients of TB TB1 and TB2. There are also two versions of TB cables.

TB1 only caries DP1.1a (this is how you get video of TB *via the DP protocol*) TB2 caries DP1.2. To get DP1.2 out of your TB setup the entire chain must be TB2. The port on your PC, the TB Cable, and any devices in between it and your display. The display can be DP1.2 only it does not need to be a TB display. The last cable can be a DP cable.

Clear as mud right? Just read the Wikipedia link I posted hehe

flowepower
07-03-2015, 04:19 AM
wow.. i lost track in... :)

bluepinapples
07-03-2015, 04:27 AM
the latest g751's come with Thunderbolt, they even have a little thunderbolt sticker next to the port for futher clarification that it isnt just a mini display port.
You can buy a mini-display port to full size display port adapter for about 20$.
The Lg 34UC97 has 1.2 support to enable full 60hz and 10bit colour. Im assuming its very similar on the 34UM95 minus the 10bit.

TLDR: Get a mini-display port to full size display port adapter or cable. Don't worry about thunderbolt

flowepower
07-03-2015, 04:36 AM
thanks for the tip.. i'm gonna give it a try