PDA

View Full Version : Newb Questions: Just Purchased G751 JY, Need Help

Buckeye8084
03-10-2015, 08:55 PM
My laptop is due for arrival tomorrow. It is the 256gb M.2 & 1TB HDD version. This is my first high end laptop ever and I'm not sure what I need to do tomorrow when I receive it. I have been trying to piece together information from different threads, but I'm not really feeling confident about what I should be doing. I read the online manual and it didn't really provide anything useful.

- Should I start with backtracker to backup my O.S to a thumb drive?

- What exact updates should I be doing? The latest or others? Windows, ASUS, Nvidea, BIOS, any others...etc

- Are there any specific settings that I should be changing to optimize the computer and gameplay?

- I read somewhere that some ASUS software should be unistalled that interferes with game play?

- I had a really crappy laptop before. Will razor gamebooster help this laptop when I'm gaming or it is not needed?

If you have the time to help and educate me I would appreciate it. Thanks

benjmyers1
03-10-2015, 09:15 PM
I got the exact same laptop as you and these are my steps and my opinions:

1 FIrst thing i did was get to the windows desktop. then i updated the bios to 2.06
2 made a backup with backtracker (or find the rar file on this site, someone uploaded it)
3 I wiped the computer and made a uefi usb windows 8.1 boot drive and installed windows fresh (u don't need to do this if you don't know how)
4 installed all windows updates until there were non left, restart.
5 download nvidia geforce experience and let it install the latest video driver, restart
6 instal all update ( i restarted for everyone that asked for restart before doing the next) from the model number asus download site
6a (use this first post on page 2 from hmscott for latest info on drivers)
6a - do not install the video driver, asus network monitor, asus live update (never finds any), the asus live tile its worthless
7 dont bother with razor gamebooster, worthless.

game!

Buckeye8084
03-10-2015, 09:43 PM
I got the exact same laptop as you and these are my steps and my opinions:

1 FIrst thing i did was get to the windows desktop. then i updated the bios to 2.06
2 made a backup with backtracker (or find the rar file on this site, someone uploaded it)
3 I wiped the computer and made a uefi usb windows 8.1 boot drive and installed windows fresh (u don't need to do this if you don't know how)
4 installed all windows updates until there were non left, restart.
5 download nvidia geforce experience and let it install the latest video driver, restart
6 instal all update ( i restarted for everyone that asked for restart before doing the next) from the model number asus download site
6a (use this first post on page 2 from hmscott for latest info on drivers)
6a - do not install the video driver, asus network monitor, asus live update (never finds any), the asus live tile its worthless
7 dont bother with razor gamebooster, worthless.

game!

Wow, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for your insight.

- Is there anything that I need to unistall?
- Are there Nvidia tweeks I need to know?
- Any additional performance options?

benjmyers1
03-10-2015, 10:11 PM
the ones you don't/should need to install from the asus model driver site:

Under utilites:
a entertainment gameing platform (this is just steam installer, you can just get the latest one from steam.com)
asus gaming center (super worthless and uses resorces, your ROG button on the number pad will do nothing though, its a shortcut to this worthless program)
asus screen saver
asus usb charger plus
rog game first 111 (reported to screw up wifi/lan speeds)
asus splendid video (optional really)
asus live update)

under others:
find the latest intel rapid shorage tech driver on intel site...
aslo do so for intel management engine interface

finally, instal the intel driver update
it will find two more updated drivers or wifi and bluetooth (its the only two it wil find) and install them as they are the latest.

Buckeye8084
03-11-2015, 11:12 PM
the ones you don't/should need to install from the asus model driver site:

Under utilites:
a entertainment gameing platform (this is just steam installer, you can just get the latest one from steam.com)
asus gaming center (super worthless and uses resorces, your ROG button on the number pad will do nothing though, its a shortcut to this worthless program)
asus screen saver
asus usb charger plus
rog game first 111 (reported to screw up wifi/lan speeds)
asus splendid video (optional really)
asus live update)

under others:
find the latest intel rapid shorage tech driver on intel site...
aslo do so for intel management engine interface

finally, instal the intel driver update
it will find two more updated drivers or wifi and bluetooth (its the only two it wil find) and install them as they are the latest.

I did everything you suggested except the intel rapid storage tech driver and management engine interface. I couldn't figure out which one I needed on the intel site. If you or anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

benjmyers1
03-12-2015, 03:14 PM
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+Chipset+Software+Instal lation+Utility
first (top) one on the list here and

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=intel+management+engine
first (top) one on the list here too.

hmscott
03-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Guys, the chipset on the G751/G750 are the same, and seem to only really need the latest of the 9.x.x.x series, which is 9.4.0.1027

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23061/Chipset-Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-Desktop-Boards

Don't forget to grab and scan the ReadMe :)

I used 9.4.0.1027, but it installed driver version 9.4.0.1023 when I did this last:

I unpack the downloaded .exe with 7-zip, and start an Administrator cmd shell, cd to the new folder with the unpacked files and install as below.

I install the latest 9.x.x.x first, from command-line administrator cmd shell

Setup.exe -OVERALL -OVERIDE -OVERWRITE

The GUI will come up, answer q's, and complete the install. Then reboot.

It's still the same install sequence, but the desktop background auto-changed mid stream. :)

Use the latest 10.0.24 from here SetupChipset.exe - you don't need to unpack it, just run it as below:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775

Don't forget to grab and scan the ReadMe :)

For the 1 or 2 items that might accept a 10.x.x.x series driver update, you can then run the 10.x.x.x install:

SetupChipset.exe -overall

And, reboot.

I selected "View Log Files" and checked the log files; for me it didn't install anything new, and didn't ask for a reboot after installing 10.0.24, but of course I rebooted anyway. Last time I did it I used 10.0.22, and I found 1 device that used it, showed up in hwinfo64, but now I can't find it. Only seeing 9.4.0.1023 as the driver version for all devices.

But, doing both doesn't hurt, and that should catch all the current optimized drivers that will work on your G751/G750 :)

Redouane_Moustamid
03-13-2015, 02:32 AM
Hi heard that there is a problem with the left charging port, please is it true?