PDA

View Full Version : i lost my windows + my recovery , my G750 JT CH71 is dead :C - never mind, fixed

katim2004
03-11-2015, 10:09 AM
hi

I have Asus ROG G750 JT CH71

so i tried to install my SSD , I removed the HDD and installed the SSD and put the HDD in the secondary slot , it all worked fine.

now my laptop should boot from SSD now (chnged boot option ffrom BIOS) , and my HDD should be my storage drive , so what I did is wiping the HDD (only C drive ) , it gave me warning message that some problems wont work , I agreed and wiped the C drive ,

my PC went crazy , my desktop is gone , all menus are gone , only blank gray screen , i dont understand why?? my laptop was booting from SSD , so the HDD should had nothing to do with anything!!!!

I tried to restart many times , made sure that im booting from SSD , still had the problem , then tried to use my USB recovery which i made using Asus backtracker , I booted from USB , started the recovery , and i think it wiped my SSD so it can recover it ,
unfortunately I got the error says : failed to read from USB , i was using USB2.0 :/

now system on C drive is gone , system on SSD is gone and USB isnt working , Im so sad and i dont know what to do :C

I rly need help here , im thinking of downloading a clean windows 8.1 from Microsoft and burn the ISO file in a DVD and install it ,
but I may lose all the drives ,

any help will be appreciated

thank u

XOIIO
03-11-2015, 11:56 AM
... Did you clone the drive over to the SSD? If not you just wiped the hard drive that had your data on it.

katim2004
03-11-2015, 12:45 PM
... Did you clone the drive over to the SSD? If not you just wiped the hard drive that had your data on it.

I did use Samsung migration tool to clone HDD to SSD , so i had Windows on both SSD + HDD , I formatted the HDD , then tried to recover the system using USB asus backtracker to SSD , it gave me error message >> result = i lost windows on SSD + HDD

katim2004
03-11-2015, 04:17 PM
never mind

i fixed it

rracres
03-11-2015, 05:04 PM
How did you fix it?

katim2004
03-11-2015, 05:19 PM
look like my recovery refused to recover windows on SSD , it somehow recovered on the HDD after i put it back in its primary slot and took out the SSD

i did all the steps again:

1- using samsung migration tool to clone the system from hdd to ssd

2- take out HDD from laptop and put SSD in primary slot

3-force laptop to boots from SSD

4-connect HDD via usb and format it

thats it , but the problem now is , i cant find my HDD , it doesn't appear in my PC which is weired !! i was ok when i connected via usb , but when i put it in the secondary slot , i cant see it . I cant even find it in device manager!!

hope any1 can help

rracres
03-11-2015, 05:30 PM
That's weird. I also replaced my HDD with new EVO and used Samsung migration tool but my HDD showed up immediately after placing in 2nd slot. I formated it in 2nd slot. Don't know why yours isn't showing up? I would first take out HDD and boot up with SSD, shut down, install HDD, and see if it finds it a second time. Will have to think on this. Good luck.

katim2004
03-11-2015, 05:46 PM
this is weired

will try to update BIOS and windows update , and will see if it works

hmscott
03-12-2015, 12:38 AM
this is weired

will try to update BIOS and windows update , and will see if it works

katim2004, right click on the Desktop Computer icon, Manage, drill down to the Storage Manager, you should see the raw drive, right click and create a New Simple Volume => ntfs partition.

katim2004
03-12-2015, 03:27 AM
katim2004, right click on the Desktop Computer icon, Manage, drill down to the Storage Manager, you should see the raw drive, right click and create a New Simple Volume => ntfs partition.

ty hmscott but i told u i cant even find it in device manager or in disk mnager , its like it doesn't exist .

anyway i solved the problem , i dont now how XD just finished windows update , updated my BIOS and its solved after the restart

thank u

hmscott
03-12-2015, 02:58 PM
ty hmscott but i told u i cant even find it in device manager or in disk mnager , its like it doesn't exist .
anyway i solved the problem , i dont now how XD just finished windows update , updated my BIOS and its solved after the restart
thank u

katim2004, I'm glad finishing the windows Update fixed the problem :)

Next time you might want to try another program for the cloning. Many have found the Samsung cloning app to be problematic. For me it took 2 passes of cloning before it worked. Most everyone has similar problems to what you and I have seen.

Macrium Reflect Free (or paid) is an awesome tool to allow you to clone what you want with changes for size and destination/order, and it knows about GPT and makes the copy exactly perfect the first time. I have used it many times to clone and I always boot up on the new storage device with the same environment I left on the old device - no mucking around to get it to work.

Macrium Reflect Free
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I have used it to clone from a booted HDD/SSD to a HDD/SSD in the 2nd Bay or to an external USB hosted HDD/SSD, and then moved the new device into Bay 1 and booted first time. It won't boot on USB, that would be a differently built original source drive, but you can use a USB enclosure to host the clone for the cloning and then swap it in to the first Bay.

The other way is the start fresh to create a Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery drive, boot on that with the new device in the first bay (remove the 2nd bay device or it will get erased) and restore the out of the box Asus OS install onto the new device.

Be sure and do the Asus Backtracker backup flash drive to preserve your recovery partition, and even keep the original HDD OS install intact for backup, once you completely lose it, you either have to return to Asus for a restore or live with the joy of wasting time trying to rebuild it from scratch.

Once you have done the Asus Backtracker backup, and have the original HDD preserved as a backup, you can safely delete the recovery partition and secondary mounted partition form the Bay 1 device - and extend the C partition with the freed up space.

As you can see from my Disk Manager image above, the C partition is 237GB, out of a 2 x 128GB RAID0, before I deleted the extra partitions my C drive was tiny small - too small to use.

The key thing to remember is you can't count on everything staying uncorrupted. Even if you have the USB flash recovery, you might be tempted to use it for another emergency and erase it, and if you have deleted the current 1st Bay recovery partition you can't recreate another flash recovery drive, so having that original HDD on the shelf - or even in use for extra space - is a good idea.

At best, do at least - 3 copies, 2 places, the key to long term data integrity :)