PDA

View Full Version : Just 4 G751 questions from a new owner.

Raffafari
03-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Hello, to make it short I just have these questions for users that already own for some time the G751.

1. I read on the forum many do some kind of swap between the HDD and SSD, something about some SATA port and the SSD being in the wrong way, are all like that? (talking about the model with SSD included.) Do i have to do that swap or are they good as they come out of the box?

2. I notice some sounds coming while i do different talks from under the keyboard, are those the sounds that are supposed to be stopped by the HDD silent application I have seen mentioned on the forum? And if so, could I have a short explanation on how to set it up and if it does any major changes to anything else?

3. Is the Game Center with the same issues as Gamer First lll ? I noticed there is a newer version on the site and that when having just that I do not experience any internet issues.

4. Is it wrong to have the laptop constantly on power supply and not on battery? I mostly use it at my desk.

Thank you in advance for whomever replies! =)

*Edited*
Would like to add 4 more questions for anyone who would like to reply.

5. Is staying just with the driver version from the Asus drives website a good choice or I should update with Nvidia Experience to the ones it shows and if yes should I check the Clean install box when doing so and choosing Custom?

6. After installing from Asus website, should I use the Intel update utility to update to the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drives? I noticed after you try and install them on some laptops they still show up there.

7. Does anyone use some specific settings to have the screen and colors at its best? Or are they already set as you install all the drives?

8. Should I use CCleaner or just the cleanup option in windows?*

Thank you to everyone that replies. Hope these questions and your answers might help others too. =)

ReDFoX2200
03-11-2015, 09:32 PM
1. It really depends on what you are getting, the M.2 SSD is in the way of the SATA 3 port, if you are getting a G751 with the M.2 SSD and want to use the SATA 3 u will face that problem.

2. What type or sound is it clicking? spinning? are they random?

3. Just uninstall game first or configure it properly.

4. I would say yes, I do use my laptop at my desk, but once a month I run it on battery to discharge it.

Raffafari
03-11-2015, 11:56 PM
1. It really depends on what you are getting, the M.2 SSD is in the way of the SATA 3 port, if you are getting a G751 with the M.2 SSD and want to use the SATA 3 u will face that problem.

2. What type or sound is it clicking? spinning? are they random?

3. Just uninstall game first or configure it properly.

4. I would say yes, I do use my laptop at my desk, but once a month I run it on battery to discharge it.

1. Well um not sure what M.2 is, I have the 128 or something SSD in it and everything works so far but saw many mention that SATA 3 thing and didint know if i should bother or not with opening the case.

2.Sometimes clicking sometimes like if there was a cd inside and started running. Yeah sort of, they don't always start.

3. Okay thank you =)

4. Oh okay so I can still use it like I do but let the battery discharge from time to time? You let it until it shuts down or lets say 5% ?

ReDFoX2200
03-12-2015, 12:46 AM
Which model of the G751 do u have?

about question 3. Game first is a packet priority manger, it will just help if u play online games and running something else in background (download or something) it just help ur game packets gets priority over other packets. Or Just uninstall it because you will get more issues that it will fix.

Mousepad
03-12-2015, 01:17 AM
I have a random like screech noise that was coming from the CD drive and when I pulled out the drive it stopped. Not sure if you're #2 noise is that but here is my thread with videos for you to compare. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57646-G751JT-Weird-noises

Raffafari
03-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Which model of the G751 do u have?

about question 3. Game first is a packet priority manger, it will just help if u play online games and running something else in background (download or something) it just help ur game packets gets priority over other packets. Or Just uninstall it because you will get more issues that it will fix.

I have the G751JT with 16GB of RAM and 1TB HDD + 118 SSD
Regarding 3. Oh thanks for the info wasn't really sure for what it was even but yeah I will just unninstall it.

Raffafari
03-13-2015, 06:24 PM
Would like to add 4 more questions for who is willing to answer.

5. Is staying just with the driver version from the Asus drives website a good choice or I should update with Nvidia Experience to the ones it shows and if yes should I check the Clean install box when doing so and choosing Custom?

6. After installing from Asus website, should I use the Intel update utility to update to the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drives? I noticed after you try and install them on some laptops they still show up there.

7. Does anyone use some specific settings to have the screen and colors at its best? Or are they already set as you install all the drives?

8. Should I use CCleaner or just the cleanup option in windows?

Thank you to everyone that replies. Hope these questions and your answers might help others too. =)

Raffafari
03-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Bump

Korth
03-16-2015, 11:59 PM
4) Running a laptop from wall-mounted power won't harm it. But if your battery is simultaneously charging and discharging then it can get pretty warm.

Lithium-ion (or Lithium-Polymer) batteries will permanently lose some electrical capacity when charged or discharged below 0C/32F or above 45C/113F. They also lose electrical capacity when frequently permitted to completely discharge or regularly recharged to a partially-charged state - they can often be "conditioned" back to best performance through a few cycles of partial discharge and full recharge. They will basically last through about 500 full discharge/recharge cycles or about 18-24 months of typical use before losing electrical capacity. The same technology is used across laptops, smartphones, and many other mobile devices, differing only in physical size and cell stacking.

Raffafari
03-18-2015, 04:29 PM
4) Running a laptop from wall-mounted power won't harm it. But if your battery is simultaneously charging and discharging then it can get pretty warm.

Lithium-ion (or Lithium-Polymer) batteries will permanently lose some electrical capacity when charged or discharged below 0C/32F or above 45C/113F. They also lose electrical capacity when frequently permitted to completely discharge or regularly recharged to a partially-charged state - they can often be "conditioned" back to best performance through a few cycles of partial discharge and full recharge. They will basically last through about 500 full discharge/recharge cycles or about 18-24 months of typical use before losing electrical capacity. The same technology is used across laptops, smartphones, and many other mobile devices, differing only in physical size and cell stacking.

Thank you, that's useful information!

Regarding Wi-fi drivers do you have any idea if i should use Intel Update utility and get the ones there? I am having quite slow internet speed for some reason took me like 14 hours to download a 25GB game. :/

Any other tips and suggestions for a new G751 owner are welcome.
Mentioning that my OS is a clean install of Windows 8.1 as my laptop did not come with one already installed.

Korth
03-20-2015, 12:47 AM
I'm a firm advocate of wired networking, lol. A $10 LAN cable (CAT 5/5e/6) will deliver gigabit bandwidths without any wifi hassles. Handy to have one for times when you need to download/upload large blocks of data.

Before updating a wifi/network driver, make sure you have a copy of the (working) one you use now - just in case you can't connect to the internet and need to rollback.

You might do well with a download manager - I recommend Internet Download Manager (https://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/), although this one is a paid product and you only get a time-limited free trial (do yourself a favour and DO NOT allow the installer to give you a "free unlimited version" by installing toolbars and adware, lol) - be warned that, unfortunately, a lot of the other download managers are packed with malware galore. There's also the opensource Free Download Manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) - a little gutless, but functional enough. Whatever you get, and wherever you got it, make sure you fully scan it before installing.

Anyhow - a download manager will let you queue downloads, allocated bandwidths/priorities between them, set up schedules, suspend/resume, and even accelerate downloads through threading multiple server sources and/or aggressively pinging the server source. I consider a utility of this sort essential when working through the sporadic speeds and reliability (and availability) of wifi - if you do a lot of downloads and updates then one of these will save you a lot of time.

Raffafari
03-20-2015, 01:40 AM
Thanks for replying! I will do in a bit a clean windows install as it seems Avast AV was the culprit for my slow internet and so forth for some reason :/
It's sad as I have used the Free version for a few years and got used to it, now I will probably move to Bitdefender Free or just leave Windows Defender.

Regarding download managers, I did have unpleasant experiences with them so I will avoid using one, thanks for the advice though, don't wanna pay for a premium one and the free ones as you said are full of ads and annoying stuff.
Hope after this install I won't be having anymore problems.