PDA

View Full Version : I think the G751JY is hibernating instead of shutting down...

Xehanort
03-11-2015, 07:12 PM
I just made a curious discovery...I think my G751JY has been hibernating instead of shutting down all this time o_O

I went to check if hibernation was disabled in Windows, and it was. But I noticed the hiberfil.sys was still on my C drive, which was weird. So I typed powercfg -h off to delete the file safely, and now I just freed about 26GB on my SSD. I was like cool. Then I noticed that shutting down and turning on were different from that point on. While turning on those spinning white balls never appeared for me on this laptop and now they show up, and while shutting down it usually just showed the shutting down screen for like a milisecond before it faded to black and now the screen is more prevalent and then shuts down...

...is it possible my G751 has been hibernating instead of shutting down this whole time? :confused:

ReDFoX2200
03-11-2015, 09:24 PM
At some point I think it was doing that for me, I was suspecting that cause was closing the lid as soon as I see the shut down screen ( I have always done that on other laptops with no issues) with my ROG I have to wait for it to totally power off before I close the lid.
I really never investigated the matter.

Lumlx
03-11-2015, 09:49 PM
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-or-enable-fast-startup-in-windows-8-1/
Look if this is disabled. Fast boot is kind of hibernate and it does not shut down your computer.

Xehanort
03-11-2015, 10:00 PM
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-or-enable-fast-startup-in-windows-8-1/
Look if this is disabled. Fast boot is kind of hibernate and it does not shut down your computer.
Now that I deleted the hiberfil.sys file, fast boot and hibernation are not in that menu anymore.

Is there any advantage to fast boot, other than those 2 seconds? Because if not, i'll keep cruising without that unnecesarily huge file on my precious SSD, thank you very much :P

Lumlx
03-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Well it's kind of same as hibernation. Only it saves kernal session and device drivers to hiberfil.sys so it use less space. If you're using ssd then it's not worth because few seconds is not much compared to hdd 10-20 secs. IMO hibernation with ssd is not worth at all because it wear down your ssd every time you hibernate.