PDA

View Full Version : g74sx new mb issues

soderquist1
03-11-2015, 10:42 PM
i reciently got my motherboard replaced and now when i turn my computer on i get a white screen shortly after and stays there.
i really need to get my computer working. all the cables look like they are all in good working condition. plz help asap

C4RN1
03-12-2015, 12:32 AM
video card connection / video cable / video cable connector - it's probably one of those 3

Try to use a monitor to see if it's actually booting into windows.

soderquist1
03-13-2015, 08:01 PM
alright i will start with connecting to a tv and see if that works. what does the video card/cable look like and located

C4RN1
03-13-2015, 10:03 PM
The video cable will be on the left side of the motherboard under the keyboard. It will go to the screen and route by the hinge. Usually if you have a white screen it's because the cable has been damaged by the hinge. You could try wiggling the cable while it's on, but take out the battery and only power the laptop with the power cable. You can cause a short and sparks on that cable if it's bad enough and it's best to be able to disconnect the power quickly if needed.

I modified a pic from google for you, this is the video connector on the motherboard.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/Carnifreekshow/G74sx%20Locations_zpswoio4etk.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Carnifreekshow/media/G74sx%20Locations_zpswoio4etk.jpg.html)

If you're going to disconnect the video cable take out the battery/unplug the power and hold the power button for 20 seconds before removing the cable from it's connector on the motherboard. This is just good practice.

Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

soderquist1
03-23-2015, 10:08 PM
alright I got it apart again but with all ribbons still connected. I turned it on and wiggling the cables doesn't do anything. also that cable in the pic goes from there to my usb port which is not far from that. but the cable that comes from the monitor connects to that long peace directly above that left metal plate.
that cable did happen to get damaged by the hinge at some point so I took it apart and opened it up to try and fix it but im still getting the same white screen. I noticed while I pressed buttons when it is on, the loading light flashes and ctrl+alt+del works and resets computer. I will try fix the cord once more, then I will try order the entire cable if it still doesn't work.

once I get it working again do I need to do something in bios to get the computer to operate on this new motherboard? also I noticed a grey fabric-like coating on the backside of the cable when I opened it up, does that grey liner effect the connection in any way?
also there is a light that lights up beside the caps lock light that has no label for it and that lights up, what does that light mean? only that light turns off when I disconnect that cable u suggested in pic

C4RN1
03-24-2015, 03:52 AM
Sorry about the pic, I fixed it now I could get a better look at the motherboard.

That video cable has to be your problem. I wouldn't even bother trying to repair it, just replace it. Make sure when you take it apart you either take a picture or note how the cable is routed around the hinge. If you install a new cable wrong you'll have the same issue after a few uses.

soderquist1
03-25-2015, 05:41 PM
alright i got a new cable on order for 20$ c so fairly cheap compared to paying someone to fix it for me :)
once i get it replaced do i need to do anything in bios to run the computer with this new motherboard? also do i loose any info that was on my computer?

C4RN1
03-25-2015, 09:14 PM
You shouldn't have to do anything to the bios or motherboard, you shouldn't lose any info ether. If it for some reason won't boot then you might have to reload the operating system, though you can backup any data before that.

soderquist1
05-06-2015, 11:40 PM
alright i finally got the right cord in for the video and it fits perfectly but for some reason the screen continues to go straight to a white screen. i am able to connect it to my tv but everything is to blurry to work with. i can log in and such so i tried going online and internet browsers all keep saying internet connection not set to private. i may need to w8 until the screen is fixed to deal with that.

only consern i have about this new cord is the long barcode has a few different numbers after the first bit that is 1414-05PR000. do all the numbers on the barcode need to match or is just this one part good? the ends all fit nice and snug and i never damaged the cord during installation so what else could cause a white screen? all adds for the cord all put 1414-05PR000 in there d

turns out my battery got shorted out when the incodent happened so i will be ordering one of those.

C4RN1
05-07-2015, 05:21 AM
Can you post pictures of it connected to the tv so I can see what you mean by blurry?

If you're connected via HDMI or vga and it's blurry then I would bet it's gpu related, which means bad motherboard.

Also sometimes a white screen can be the lcd going bad, but the lcd cable is the cheaper part so it's the first part to replace.

Post a couple pics of the blurry screen and any other pictures that help describe the problem.

soderquist1
05-07-2015, 05:37 PM
looks like according to the images on google that the lcd cable is what i replaced that connects to that video connector port. i noticed while i have computer running it gives me a warning message of some sort about fraud and requesting something but i cant read it clear enough. i enlarged the revolution to largest size so it is somewhat easier to read and reducing the tv (old style) screen to widescreen helped clear it up slightly. i got a converter to change hdmi to the red/yellow/white video for the tv since that is the only way i can connect to it. 100$ for the converter and about 350 for the motherboard, about 40 for the cable, adding up fast

i do have a camera so i can get those pic for you

C4RN1
05-09-2015, 04:47 AM
If you're running hdmi to composite video that's one of the reasons it's blurry. You can always sell the extra good parts on ebay to make your money back on the parts you didn't need. It's tough to say what's going on though.

The white screen could be a bad lcd screen, and the fraud warning could be spyware or a virus. I will know more when you get those pictures posted.

soderquist1
05-11-2015, 06:04 PM
what part does the lcd cable connect to (the video and lcd cable looks the same according to google images) ? my keyboard light doesnt turn on so that could be the problem. i also keeps giving me the message saying something is not authentic quite often and when i first access the internet i get a warning message saying i may not be protected, but mu avira anti virus and malwarebite are both up to date and both state they are in working condition.

soderquist1
05-11-2015, 07:02 PM
i am also using an old style tv that requires the red white and yellow connectors to work so i had to get a converter from lcd to that so that may effect image quality from my understanding. just npoticed yoyu were refering to the screen itself and not the cable. i remember when i had my incident the screen went funny badly so i immediatly unpluged the power. dont know how to describe that part but that very well could be a problem. hope it is not to costly.

only other issue with the software is my webcam program is not working. it starts up and stays on that screen, but the web cam light turns on so i was thinking of reinstalling it or it could be related to the screen not functioning properly like it is badly damaged. everything worked good prior to the incident with very few problems maily malware issues in the past that have all bin resolved. shortly after i got my computer running again i scanned for viruses and malware and it never detected any virus but it did detect 2 malware. if you need to know what they are then i can try get a screen shot of it then email it to myself so i can see it clearly on another computer.

C4RN1
05-12-2015, 12:25 AM
As I suspected the tv with adapter is blurring your video.

Composite video consists of the Yellow (video) Red (right audio) and White (left audio) connectors on the tv. It is the lowest form of video and only supports 480i resolution. You're taking a computer that supports 1920x1080 and plugging it into an adapter that scales it down to basically nothing. You would be better off buying a cheap lcd monitor and plugging it in via vga (the connector on the right side of your laptop).

It also looks like windows is not activated, and you do not have a good internet connection. You have a lot of different issues going on.

My advice at this point would be to replace the lcd screen.

You can buy used or new.

Used
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Chimei-Asus-G74SX-N173HGE-L21-17-3-Glossy-LCD-Screen-Tested-and-Working-1-/371314337180?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56740f259c

New
http://www.ebay.com/itm/N173HGE-L21-New-17-3-LED-FHD-1920-x-1080-LCD-Screen-GLOSSY-Full-HD-/190985324675?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c779cc883

When you replace the lcd screen make sure the computer is unplugged and the battery is out. When you reassemble the screen you can snap the g74 back together to test to make sure it all works. You only need to put 2 or 4 screws in the screen hinges to hold it all together.

Just be careful, take your time and never use force.

soderquist1
05-12-2015, 05:49 PM
the back side of the "new" one looks like it is setup differently then mine. would it still work? im looking at the new one because im in canada and the used one the person wont send to my my country. the difference is the plug in for the cable is located a little differently

soderquist1
06-10-2015, 05:14 PM
looks like my screen will be fixed in about a week. the one i recently got was damaged during shipping but when i installed it i did get a blue background briefly like it was working but shortly after went to a white screen. since that prob will be solved soon there is a couple other things that i would like to get working again and that is my web cam and keyboard lighting.

every time i try to use my web cam program the light turns on for it but the proram it self does not load. i may need to wait until the screen is fixed before i can work on that. as for the keyboard lights im not sure what part of the hardware controls it.

i also noticed my computer will only turn on when it has direct power from an outlet. once it is on it will run off the battery like it is suppose to. it just wont start/boot the computer with it. any idea why this is?

justinzon
06-13-2015, 05:12 PM
If your video cable was damaged in could effect your web cam also.
I believe it is all integrated through that one cable.
You wont know until you get a new cable and or LCD screen. (as C4RN1 recommended, start with a new cable first)
im wrong, there is a separate connector for the webcam!
Have you checked your local NCIX for replacement parts?
http://www.ncix.com/

For the keyboard backlight try holding the "fn" key + F3 or F4 to dim or brighten.
If that doesnt work I think you may need the atkacpi driver from the G74sx support page. (http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G74SX/HelpDesk_Download/)
Beyond that check the ribbon connectors as illustrated in C4RN1's pic..
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/Carnifreekshow/G74sx%20Locations_zpswoio4etk.jpg

justinzon
06-13-2015, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=i also noticed my computer will only turn on when it has direct power from an outlet. once it is on it will run off the battery like it is suppose to. it just wont start/boot the computer with it. any idea why this is?[/QUOTE]

Strange but there are allot of things that can cause this and it may or may not be a battery issue.
http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/why-does-my-laptop-only-work-when-it-is-plugged-in-although-it-is-fully-charged/
At this point I highly recommend a fresh installation of windows and then all the driver updates from Asus g74sx support page (http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G74SX/overview/) before trying to troubleshoot anymore.

soderquist1
06-14-2015, 08:57 PM
alright i will look into it. i recently checked my web cam on skype and it is working so it looks like all i need to do is re install the web cam program. i cant do much with my computer to fix it other then take it apart to fix the backlighting.
thanks for the help looks like it wont be to much longer until it is fully operational again.

soderquist1
06-25-2015, 09:16 PM
i now got everything working except the keyboard backlight.
turned out all i needed to do to make my windows genuine was use the product key on the microsoft sticker on the bottom of the laptop.
turned out i accidently ordered a second battery from a different supplier and it works perfectly and boots my comuter like it is suppose to.

i noticed on the metal part of the wire ribbon, the end that plugs into the motherboard, the metal strips got damaged so im waiting on a reply from asus customer service so i can try get a new one.
i got the software for it installed but the fn f3 and f4 still doesnt work so it probably has something to do with the ribbon connector.

as far as the backlight goes everything appears to be running smoothly again. i also updated my nvidia grafx driver after making windows genuine.

any idea what i should be searching to find the proper relacement online? the only numbers on the ribbon is 2411

justinzon
07-02-2015, 06:09 PM
You can repair a ribbon, if you have enough length and it still reaches.
Check youtube for instructions.
I did it once to my moms HP with a simple pair of scissors.