PDA

View Full Version : G551 Backtrcker - no option to delete recovery partition

indyspike
03-13-2015, 03:34 PM
I have 3.08 backtracker installed. I can create a backup of the recovery partition OK, but there is no option to delete the recovery partition.

Anyone able to help?

Prostar Computer
03-13-2015, 04:44 PM
You want to delete the recovery partition on your primary drive? You'd have to format that partition for that.

indyspike
03-13-2015, 08:14 PM
How do I do that?
Can't mount it as a drive in Windows, cant do anything with it in Drive Manager. If I did have the option to format it, I'd have the option to delte the partition.
In fact, formatting the partition would not delete it.

hmscott
03-14-2015, 01:34 AM
I have 3.08 backtracker installed. I can create a backup of the recovery partition OK, but there is no option to delete the recovery partition.
Anyone able to help?

indyspike, good for you for making a Backtracker Backup :)

The system partitions, like recovery, are marked to prevent deletion. So you need to use diskpart and specify:

DISKPART> delete partition override

Details here:

Anyone knows how to merge C & D disk/drive into one?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51245-Anyone-knows-how-to-merge-C-amp-D-disk-drive-into-one&p=433539&viewfull=1#post433539

But, before you delete your only other backup of the recovery partition, besides your Asus Backtracker Recovery drive, please read this:

A Simple Question, Does the g751jy have a backup on it?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53790-A-Simple-Question-Does-the-g751jy-have-a-backup-on-it&p=450942&viewfull=1#post450942

The 1TB HDD's are very cheap, like $50, so please consider keeping that drive either on the shelf as a backup - so in case you lose the USB flash drive or reuse it in a pinch you can still create another Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive. And, you can also swap in that backup drive for RMA's, so you don't need to send off the laptop with your personal drive/data.

It's nice to have a couple of backups :)

XOIIO
03-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Parted magic boot CD