PDA

View Full Version : Post your g750jm 860m overclock scores here

rigolo
03-13-2015, 08:02 PM
MODDED BIOS TO UNLOCK OVER-VOLTING:

http://forum.techinferno.com/asus/7072-prema-mod-gtx860m-vbios-g750jm.html

NOTE: 1200mv is the likely limit for over-volting. On Clevo overcocked edition appears to have this as its stock spec. So do NOT go over 1200mv for the time being.

OLD VERSION ASUS TOOL THAT LETS YOU CHANGE VOLTAGE:

http://de.pcdrivers.guru/asus-gpu-tweak-for-laptops/download-675767.html

Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but the other ones I read were off-topic with lots of posts about other laptops and other GPUs. Keep all posts on point, and please only post if you own a G750JM with 860M, and want to know more or have valid advice from experience with this laptop specifically. This laptop is a great value, and with some tweaking can perform extremely well while running nice and cool.

I just picked a G750JM up off of craigslist for $660 USD. There is about 4 months warranty remaining so I figured I would mess around with the overclock settings for a spell :cool:

All results on are Windows 8.1 with 8GB RAM and the unlocked BIOS posted above, on table top with battery fully charged. Room temp is 68F (19C). Driver is NVIDIA 9.18.13.4475, which is maybe the last one before they took out the ability to overclock. Hopefully that comes back soon, from what I am reading it will be back on the next release.

Right now, I have the GPU set to 1200mv, 1400MHz clock speed, and 3100Mhz Memory speed. Stable so far, running at 68 C with the fan on high during stress tests. I read one user had his stable at 1200mv so I kept that as my max voltage while seeing how high I could clock it. Over 1420 / 3150 and it crashes so I have it at these values now and it is stable.

I am using Asus VGA Tool to overclock, and GPU Tweak ver. 105, with over-volting option, to double-check and keep fan set on high. Furmark to stress test while changing values, 3DMark to get benchmark.

My 3DMark11 GPU score is 6406-6425, so significantly higher than stock of 5000-5050. This is on Performance mode 720p at default settings. I ran the 4 graphics options and left the other ones out to get straight GPU score.

I am playing Assassin's Creed Rogue on 1080p, all high settings with 60+ FPS. I will try to get more accurate gaming FPS comparisons between stock and overclocked. My main concern right now is whether I am risking frying the GPU. If so the trade-off is not worth it, even if I did get a free replacement.

As for CPU (Intel I7 4700HQ), I left the frequencies alone, but lowered core and cache MV by 90, and lowered max Turbo Short Power to 54.5 and Max Turbo Power to 42.5W using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

What do you think? Should I stop? Keep going? Is 1200mv too high in your opinion? What would be a good max voltage? Thanks for your input and results.

Also, while we are discussing modding, I removed the DVD drive and I can feel air being sucked in through that empty port now. Laptops should have all air intake on the sides, and all output upward out the back. That way, it won't cook you if you actually use it in your lap like I do :) Temp dropped by 1 or 2C, and it feels cooler in my lap. I also tightened all screws I could find, they were all a little bit loose. Might re-paste if it seems other users are running cooler than me. CPU stresses at 78C, GPU stresses at 68C, those are my averages.

evezy123
03-14-2015, 07:13 PM
hi where did u download the Asus VGA Tool from?

rigolo
03-14-2015, 09:04 PM
hi where did u download the Asus VGA Tool from?

Hi, it is part of the ASUS GPU Tweak package. Just look in the directory. I renamed GPU Tweak itself to stop it from starting up on boot, which I think resets the GPU values to stock.

I am trying to figure out how to get all values to stick across multiple reboots and GPU switching. For now, with NVIDIA card set to adaptive and system select, values will stick as long as I am logged in. Now that I am done setting up WIN 8.1 and the 1000 updates it had, I don't need to reboot often, so it is not a big issue. Ditto with the Intel Extreme utility, those values will not stay after reboot.

Use NoteBook FanControl to control both fans, selecting ASUS Zenbook UX32LN as the model.

Update: with the CPU and GPU fans both set to max, I am now getting 63C during GPU stress test, about 60C during gaming, maybe slightly more while it is on my lap. Removing the DVD drive definitely adds airflow, especially while using in your lap. I am not using a notebook cooler, but I did just install some upside-down plastic bottle caps over the rear feet to give it some more lift and stability. Use alcohol to clean surfaces then putt a weight over it for an hour to make it cure strong.

I am tempted to re-paste using some Arctic Silver I have, but I am afraid it might actually make it worse. My last laptop, an MSI/Cyberpowerpc model (they are both made by MSI and are essentially the same thing), pulled more like 80C or more on high, after I re-pasted, so this feels very cool by comparison.

rigolo
03-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Update: now pulling 58C during 1920x1080 8X MSAA burn-in Furmark test, at core clock of 1400MHz, 1200MV and 3100MHz Memory, after installing raised feet (wide juice bottle plastic caps) in the back. That is phenomenal. I am sure it will run warmer in my lap, but that is the desktop temperature after full 5 minutes of burn-in. I think it would be unwise to re-paste at this point. If it creeps up over time due to thermal breakdown of paste, then I will try it and clean everything out at the same time. For now, just spraying duster into back vents, empty DVD drive and exposed RAM slots etc, seems to get a lot of dust out without need to disassemble.

hmscott
03-14-2015, 11:21 PM
rigolo, the reason the Asus GPU Tweak and XTU values aren't persisting through reboots, is you aren't saving the values you set into a profile. Both tools let you do a saved profile.

For Asus GPU Tweak, you go into the settings and check run at Windows start, and when you have Apply'd the values you want Click the little Save button and then one of the numbers next to it, start with 1.

For XTU, after your values are set and Apply, then click save and give the profile a name, and save, then XTU will use that profile next time you boot. If you crash, upon reboot you need to go into XTU and select that profile, Apply and exit XTU. As long as you don't crash XTU will use that profile and set the values every time you boot.

Also, the voltage value does nothing except show the number in Asus GPU Tweak, no voltage change is applied to the hardware, the vBIOS sets that value.

If you haven't already heard, the G750JM's 860m crashes with any driver newer than 332.60 - it happens exiting out of some games with consistency - search the forum for:

BSOD Driver Power State Failure

It also happens to some other Asus laptops with the 860m.

Some people have had luck with newer drivers starting with 344.75, but others still are having crashes with anything newer than 332.60

The G750 CPU throttles over about 93c and the GPU around 95c. Your temps are way low, don't sweat doing things like pulling the DVD drive for more airflow :)

The G750 is a well sealed chassis. The keyboard is sealed on top. The only air coming in is through the bottom vents. That air is coming in and going over the motherboard to cool parts not connected to the heatsinks/heatpipes. The heatsinks/heatpipes route heat through to the front of the exhaust fans and the heat is drawn out through the fins by the air being pulled across them.

By pulling the DVD you are breaking up the intended air flow and likely reducing the air coming through the bottom air vents, reducing the effectiveness of that routed air flow.

You may see a slight decrease in temperature for the CPU/GPU as the air flow is forced through a different path, favoring the heatpipe heat transfer, but the rest of the components on the motherboard - which don't have temperature monitoring - are getting less cooling air flow.

I would put the DVD drive back in, and let the sealed air flow pattern Asus designed do it's work :)

It's a great laptop otherwise, and that was a great price :)

Have fun :)

rigolo
03-15-2015, 01:32 AM
Okay, thanks for the tips. I can't find a settings panel in ASUS GPU Tweak, maybe I have an outdated version.

I got mine cheap because it is a little beat up, with a broken key that I fixed and a few tiny off-color spots on the screen. They aren't bothering me after a few days' use.

As for leaving the DVD drive out, I think it makes sense at least if I am using this on my lap. Here are two screenshots comparing the two scenarios using Open Hardware Monitor. I did not move my body or the computer at all during this test, just put it to sleep to take the drive in and out. Both shots are after 2 minutes of running furmark in the background. Fans are at 50%.

If you look down the DVD port, you can see how the air is still routed over the same area. I am not sure if i can find any other temps besides the ones shown, just to be sure I am not cooking anything?

I just wish these were built with side intake vents, where they are pulling in fresh, cold air from a large area, instead of warm stale air from a small space from underneath. For now, I guess I am engineering mine to do that. Might modify it slightly when I disassemble it, and see if I can get temps even colder.

I have no need at all for a DVD drive. I install everything from USB drives and haven't used a CD or DVD for any purpose in years. So I am happy to take it out and feel the breeze going in.

Here are temps with DVD Drive in:

And removed:

I did the DVD-in test first, and although I didn't wait to run the test with the Drive out, and CPU use is higher, temps are still significantly lower. Some proof of concept, anyway. WIth some basic engineering, I am pretty sure I can get the airflow to cover all the same spots as the stock vents, and get temps a few degrees lower. WIll post a new thread if that project is a success.

rigolo
03-15-2015, 01:51 AM
Also, whenever I lower MV, the driver crashes and Furmark etc won't run until I raise it again in ASUS tool. So it seems that I am controlling mv value. Unles there is something I am missing.

If I truly can't change the GPU voltage at all, then I guess I don't need to worry about frying it. But the fact that things crash when I do lower it seems to indicate that more is happening than just text input.

hmscott
03-15-2015, 02:23 AM
Also, whenever I lower MV, the driver crashes and Furmark etc won't run until I raise it again in ASUS tool. So it seems that I am controlling mv value. Unles there is something I am missing.

If I truly can't change the GPU voltage at all, then I guess I don't need to worry about frying it. But the fact that things crash when I do lower it seems to indicate that more is happening than just text input.

rigolo, several things, all important, I am trying to covey to you.

1) Normally, the stale heated air as you call it, is being drawn out and evacuated from the HDD/SSD bays, and components in the area in front of where the DVD intake is. That "heated stale air" is going to get hotter, now that it isn't getting as much air circulation. That is a problem you are creating by short-pathing the air in through the DVD area toward the exhaust fans. Watch your HDD/SSD temps with something like Crystaldiskmark and / or hwinfo64.

2) The reduction in temperature of the CPU/GPU due to this short-pathing of air is sacrificing the cooling of the other components in the laptop and transferring that additional heat carrying capacity to the heat exchangers in front of the exhaust fans.

3) The 2c reduction in the CPU/GPU temps is insignificant as compared to the overheating of the other components.
FYI, another guy showed up at one point, having cut holes in the laptop case just below the heat exchanger so that air would only come in through those holes and he saw a similar improvement in CPU/GPU temps, as he roasted the rest of his laptop :)

4) If you haven't changed the vBIOS of the GPU, the voltage setting isn't possible in the stock GPU, and you are coincidentally noting either an OC setting induced crash in the GPU or the BSOD Driver Power State Failure crashes along with the "voltage changes". Try leaving the voltage at stock values, and OC the GPU +135 and the memory at stock for now.
If your voltage change was working you would be getting display driver crashes, not BSOD's.

5) What are you using to set the voltage and GPU clock/memory clock OC? The Asus GPU Tweak tool for Laptops - the correct one for the G750JM/JS/JZ/G751JM - the one for Optimus ROG laptops doesn't have frequency setting options, voltage setting options, only a 5% OC option.
Using the Asus VGA tool in the folder isn't normally used. If your Asus GPU Tweak tool is the one for Graphic cards, that is the wrong one for your laptop - that one is for Non-Optimus laptops like the G750JW/JX/JH/G751JT/JY
If you are using the wrong Tweak tool, your settings might be causing a Windows crash.

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Graphics-Cards&p=387929&viewfull=1#post387929

If you have an G750JM, you can use MSI Afterburner to set the frequencies. Use the Asus Tweak Tool for Laptops to set the Max Fan, otherwise it isn't of much use.

If you are seeing BSOD Driver Power State Failure, that isn't a GPU crash, that is a Windows memory handing / driver handle release timeout issue - try running the 332.60 version of the Nvidia driver for a while and see if the crashes stop. . OC'ing the GPU will usually show sparklies in the display before further OC'ing even higher will cause the Nvidia Display driver to restart - you will see a help balloon with text to that effect. When you see that notice you need to reboot to reset the Nvidia Display driver to run at full speed - the notice is a way of telling you the Nvidia driver has recovered enough to let you shutdown or restart the laptop without losing work.

6) The 860m will cause Windows BSOD's on drivers newer than 332.60, watch for the same crash each time. If you are getting crashes, they will likely all be the same cause. Did you read the threads I suggested searching for earlier?

rigolo
03-15-2015, 02:32 AM
I am actually using an old version of ASUS GPU Tweak, which contains another tool called VGA tool. I also have a modded BIOS flashed, which unlocks the GPU for over-volting. I totally forgot to mention that in my first post, let me dig up the link for it.

No artifacts or crashes yet, at 1200mv/1400 gpu / 3100 RAM. The new ASUS tool has no voltage options, but the version I have does. vesion 1.05

The HDD temp is exactly the same so far. I see what you are saying, and had considered the micro-ports the air is being drawn through. I might install some temp sensors inside to make sure everything is running the same or cooler.

rigolo
03-15-2015, 02:40 AM

That is where I got the modded BIOS from. No problems so far, but since I can indeed over-volt, my questions remains: how high is too high for the 860M? Is there a known upper limit to the GPU's voltage before likely damage can occur?

I was thinking it was clear from the frequencies I have been posting that I must be over-volting. The first thing I did when I bought this was to unlock the BIOS for over-volting. The only crashes i have experienced were when I lowered the MV. Otherwise, rock-solid. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

hmscott
03-15-2015, 03:22 AM
That is where I got the modded BIOS from. No problems so far, but since I can indeed over-volt, my questions remains: how high is too high for the 860M? Is there a known upper limit to the GPU's voltage before likely damage can occur?
I was thinking it was clear from the frequencies I have been posting that I must be over-volting. The first thing I did when I bought this was to unlock the BIOS for over-volting. The only crashes i have experienced were when I lowered the MV. Otherwise, rock-solid. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

rigolo, ahh, modded vBIOS, that's why you can change voltage, thanks for clearing that up.

Actually, I was wondering if a modded vBIOS might fix the BSOD Driver Power State Failure crashes... have you had any Windows crashes with that error yet?

Not many people here vBIOS mod, the cost of losing a GPU is too great and not easy to replace, and the benefits inside the range of safety are minimal - outside that range the trade off has been too great for the reduction in stability and life.

However, if the modded vBIOS for the 860m G750JM stops the BSOD Driver Power State Failure crashes, then in this particular case it might be worth it. :)

Given that the G750JM has been the least stable ROG laptop, locked for many at 332.60, that is likely why you found it so cheap - besides the damage - maybe inflicted by frustrated owner?

Can you be more specific about the crash you are seeing? Would you please take a screen shot and post it?

rigolo
03-15-2015, 03:33 AM
The only crash happens if I lower the voltage. No driver-specific crashes. I am trying to dig up the specs on the 860M to see what the recommended voltage range is. That is actually my main question. I don't want to fry it just because the warranty might cover it. I can play any game I have tried on high settings so far, even at stock speeds.

hmscott
03-15-2015, 03:54 AM
The only crash happens if I lower the voltage. No driver-specific crashes. I am trying to dig up the specs on the 860M to see what the recommended voltage range is. That is actually my main question. I don't want to fry it just because the warranty might cover it. I can play any game I have tried on high settings so far, even at stock speeds.

rigolo, the reason I asked for the crash BSOD image is because you may have found a cure for the 860m BSOD, if raising the voltage stops it from happening :)

If you have a chance, please lower the voltage to stock voltage - and the rest of the settings too, and capture a screenshot of a Blue Screen of Death - BSOD to post.

If you get a BSOD like this, that is the crash that plagues 860m users:

OC'ing aside if a slight increase in voltage will avoid those BSOD's that is a great find :)

The image you posted shows a Display Driver crash/restart - which isn't a Windows BSOD.

Thanks rigolo!

rigolo
03-15-2015, 04:00 AM
I see. I have never gotten a crash outside of a voltage-related crash. I over-volted and over-clocked this bad boy as soon as I got home. So no experience with stock speeds etc, as relates to crashing.

If this is, indeed, a cure to the BSOD crash for this card, then this thread has been worth it. I hadn't even read about that. I actually picked this up on a whim right as I was about to pull the trigger on an alienware 18" off eBay. I think I made the right choice. I hate glossy screens and I am sure this runs much cooler than the Dell.

I would still like to find out some internal specs on this card regarding upper-limit voltage, if anything can be found. RIght now I have it running about 30% better, 3dMark-performance wise, than stock, and would like to keep it that way, providing there isn't a danger of frying it prematurely.

rigolo
03-15-2015, 04:08 AM
I added the 2 links to the modded vBIOS and VGA TOOL for voltage modification.

rigolo
03-15-2015, 04:27 AM
From what I have gathered, the same card on Clevo has a hardware limit of 1200mv, so for now let's call that the "Safe" limit and not go over that. Set it to 1200 using VGA tool, then see how high you can go with the GPU and RAM frequencies.

hmscott
03-15-2015, 04:49 AM
From what I have gathered, the same card on Clevo has a hardware limit of 1200mv, so for now let's call that the "Safe" limit and not go over that. Set it to 1200 using VGA tool, then see how high you can go with the GPU and RAM frequencies.

rigolo, generally, you only want to increase the voltage as high as needed for OC'ing, and no higher, it's wasted heat; reducing the voltage until unstable and then bumping it up a tad for stability is the best long term setting.

Did you note the original vBIOS voltage, GPU and memory frequencies?

Starting with those values on the new vBIOS would have been a good start "frame of reference", and then keep that voltage and OC the GPU clock +135 (locked vBIOS limit) and +400-+600 on memory clock.

Anything past those values I would expect some voltage bump might be needed. The range I would expect is +20%-30% max on voltage.

Also, I wanted to point out that for the 860m, you can run the latest 347.52 and still OC. Only the 980m/970m (and some report the 880m) are locked out from OC'ing.

rigolo
03-15-2015, 05:14 AM
I have my frequencies set as high as my chosen voltage limit will allow.

About the driver, I will try the latest one and see. I think I grabbed this one from the ASUS site. If something goes wrong with a different driver, I at least know this one has been stable for me.

Once I have all of my ducks in a row, I will try to write a guide on overclocking this specific machine. Going to dive a little deeper on known limits to the 860m Maxwell chip. One thread indicates a stock voltage of 1200mv on the Clevo overclocked edition, but I need to confirm this before deciding to keep these values permanently.

hmscott
03-15-2015, 10:49 AM
rigolo, here is a good thread on OC'ing 860m with modded vBIOS, maybe you have already seen it?

860m is a Beast
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/860m-is-a-beast.751352/

Reading that thread it, some mention not being able to OC with 347.x, but 345.09 does allow OC... weird, I thought it was just the 980m/970m and maybe the 880m. My 780m OC's find on 347.52...what works for you?

rigolo
03-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Yes I remember reading that. A lot of info from many places went into my methods. I am going to try to make a comprehensive guide in another thread soon. I thought more people would have already done what I did but it looks like there is some misinformation / lack of information out there.

My G750JM has been at 1200mv/1400mhz/3100mhz for a week with no artifacts or crashes, so I agree that this card is indeed a beast. 2 sources confirm that Clevo has this GPU with a stock voltage of 1.15 to 1.2v so I am going to say I am safe for now.

evezy123
03-16-2015, 09:16 AM
rigolo hi I have also done the vbios mod but am running into a few problems, that the overclock will not stick past a reboot, and after I overclock it there seems to be a problem where optimus is not kicking in and keeping the card at 1300mhz with the 1.175mv voltage that I applied even when im not using the card do you have any of these problems?

evezy123
03-16-2015, 12:27 PM
hmscott usually when I open gpu tweak it shows at the bottom that optimus is enabled currently running on intel gpu, until I open a game of some sort then the gtx 860m kicks in but its not saying that anymore it seems that the gtx860m is always active. I set the voltage to that as the 1300mhz overclock is stable at that voltage and didn't see the need for it to be put any higher. as for benchmarks ive gotten a 14261 in skydiver as opposed to the stock score of 13166, I can play far cry 4 at an average 0f 48fps and call of duty at an average of 67 fps

hmscott
03-16-2015, 01:03 PM
rigolo hi I have also done the vbios mod but am running into a few problems, that the overclock will not stick past a reboot, and after I overclock it there seems to be a problem where optimus is not kicking in and keeping the card at 1300mhz with the 1.175mv voltage that I applied even when im not using the card do you have any of these problems?

evezy123, if you set the Nvidia 3D option, Power Management Mode to Prefer Performance, the GPU clock speed will hang high, don't worry about it. :)

If you want to set the OC GPU between reboots, use MSI Afterburner to set the GPU/memory clocks, and save the profile.

What do you mean Optimus is not kicking in? If you set the GPU preference to High Performance, the Nvidia GPU should be assigned for global/app.

Are you seeing increased performance for the apps set to Nvidia? The 1.175mv voltage sounds low compared to the 1200mv set by Rigolo.

Can you please post benchmark/game fps comparisons between default vBIOS settings and modded vBIOS?

hmscott
03-16-2015, 01:08 PM
hmscott usually when I open gpu tweak it shows at the bottom that optimus is enabled currently running on intel gpu, until I open a game of some sort then the gtx 860m kicks in but its not saying that anymore it seems that the gtx860m is always active. I set the voltage to that as the 1300mhz overclock is stable at that voltage and didn't see the need for it to be put any higher. as for benchmarks ive gotten a 14261 in skydiver as opposed to the stock score of 13166, I can play far cry 4 at an average 0f 48fps and call of duty at an average of 67 fps

evezy123, sounds good, actually :)

You want to be using the Nvidia GPU most of the time, so that's good that it sticks on the Nvidia GPU... you did set Nvidia preference Globally to High Performance (Nvidia GPU) ?

Running as low of voltage as possible for the highest GPU / Memory clock is good, I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise, just if you are running such a low voltage, perhaps increasing the voltage will allow you to run at even higher GPU/memory clock... something to try :)

How about Intel XTU, did you increase your CPU multipliers to Max? It can help improve scores a bit as well.

evezy123
03-16-2015, 01:35 PM
yer I have increased cpu multipliers and undervolted by 75mv. the only problem that I see is that now on the gpu the idle temp is around 40-43 degrees because the voltage is constant a 1.175 and the core clock only drops down to 757mhz and boosts up to 1300 when im using the card,and the memory clock stays constant without dropping down as well. whereas when optimus was being used the card used to idle at around 30ish degrees

hmscott
03-16-2015, 07:44 PM
yer I have increased cpu multipliers and undervolted by 75mv. the only problem that I see is that now on the gpu the idle temp is around 40-43 degrees because the voltage is constant a 1.175 and the core clock only drops down to 757mhz and boosts up to 1300 when im using the card,and the memory clock stays constant without dropping down as well. whereas when optimus was being used the card used to idle at around 30ish degrees

evezy123, I don't use modded vbio's, too dangerous for little real benefit, and I don't purchase Optimus enabled laptops, so I have no use experience in this case. And, by little real benefit, I don't mean you can't measure a difference in performance when OC'd, you just can't put a price on a few more FPS in a game against a bricked and useless soldered GPU :)

If the vbios is keeping you from using Optimus - the portion that renders on the Intel GPU, that is ok - as that is what a non-Optimus laptop does all the time :)

My G750JH 780m GPU idles at 42c with no graphics activity other than Windows. When I have Virtualbox running, with VM's that use 3D idle, the GPU temp is 53c. Peak GPU temp is about 85c during 100% GPU CUDA/rendering.

The flip side to a cool Nvidia GPU while Intel iGPU is rendering, is that you are using the crappy Intel GPU, which people complain even makes Windows operations and video lag.

And, the Optimus enabled CPU die temp is raised by 10c under GPU / CPU load over a non-Optimus GPU.

The heat generated by the GPU work needs to come out somewhere - on an Optimus laptop that heat is poured on top of the CPU heat, raising the temp and reducing the CPU headroom before Thermal Throttling...

Increasing the GPU voltage directly keeps that voltage all the time? Is there an adjustment for a GPU voltage offset?

The CPU XTU voltage offset, negative in our case (you did use a -75mV setting, and not a +75mV setting?), lets you adjust the range, but doesn't fix the voltage - it is variable based on CPU load.

If there is a GPU equivalent - allowing voltage to vary based on GPU load - use that instead of a fixed voltage.

That idle temp isn't that high that I would worry about it, but you might consider dropping the Nvidia Global/App Power Management Mode, set globally and by application in the Nvidia 3D settings, from "Prefer Maximum Performance" to "Adaptive" - that will let the GPU/memory clock drop down more often - but reduce performance in some situations measurably.

Please let us know what you find. :)

rigolo
03-17-2015, 12:21 AM
Hi evezy123, with my current config, the 860 GPU can go from 135mhz up to 1400mhz. Idle Temp is 32C. You should be able to do the same with some tweaking. All changes stick until reboot. I have my NVIDIA settings at "global settings" and adaptive." No need to force NVIDIA graphics all the time, at least for me. The card maxes out right away under load, and gives excellent results.

You might need to go into the ASUS GPU Tweak directory, and open "clock", then change those values to:

Top is your max freq, bottom is your voltage. These are just the numbers that work for me. 1200MV is the official stock voltage on the Clevo edition, I believe, so it should be a safe limit.
Also, change permission in this same directory to allow full access to your user.

Then, open furmark or similar just to get the 860M active, and keep a small test running in the back ground, then open Pstate10 and PState20 screens in VGA TOOL, and set those values to the same ones in "Clock," along with changing mem freq. Run a 1080p test in Furmark to confirm that your freq changes are sticking.

It took quite a lot of messing around with settings to get all of my changes to stick. But using just the modded vBIOS I posted, and the old version of ASUS overclock tools, along with some permissions changes, you should be able to get it worked out.

As for Optimus/intel 4600 Graphics, they work fine even with these changes. Temps are very cool. I haven't experienced any lag or video streaming issues etc with the Intel Graphics. I typically have 2 web browsers, 20 windows, and multiple other programs running at the same time.

During gaming, I am getting great performance and low temps out of the 860M, running about 60C during Assassin's Creed Rogue at 60+ FPS on High Settings.

CPU is idling at 43C during web browsing and desktop app use. So don't worry about the integrated graphics creating extra heat and causing throttling, it really shouldn't be any concern with this specific computer. The cooling system is fantastic, even when it is directly on your lap.

I will let this thread run a little longer, then write a clear and simple A to Z guide, specifically for users of this exact computer. Just seeing if there is any more info for me to find regarding getting GPU settings to stick across reboots.

MSI Afterburner is not going to work for our purposes, please ignore that program except to confirm frequency if needed; so far, you have to use the "clock" file followed by applying changes in the VGA TOOL to change them. A bit of a pain, but I can now do it in maybe 20-30 seconds after rebooting, then good to go until next restart. I think it is worth it for the ~30% performance boost.

Also, I wouldn't worry about frying the GPU via the vBIOS. Just keep the max voltage set at 1200mv or lower. If Clevo thinks that is safe for stock voltage, they must have good reason to think so, no? Else they will be getting a lot of RMA's.

I think that the voltage is changing dynamicaly. Will see if I can find out. There is a "power" settings right under the voltage setting in VGA tool, but I leave that blank. My guess is, if you can change it manually, then the system will be changing it automatically for you,up to your max limit.

rigolo
03-17-2015, 12:57 AM
Also, if you are having trouble getting NVIDIA setings to stick, go to C/programdata/nvidiacorporation/drs, erase nvdrsdb1.bin, nvdrsdb0.bin, and nvdrssel.bin. Then, change permission on "Drs" to unlock for your user. This helped me to get global settings to stay.

And changing from 1175mv to 1200mv doesn't do much. Our stock voltage is 850mv. It is a huge increase either way, and frankly, probably scares the crap out of most people. It is a 40% voltage increase, albeit of a seemingly under-volted GPU. I don't blame NVIDIA. Why get an 870m if you can pump this to nearly the same level?

evezy123
03-17-2015, 08:22 AM
Hi rigolo that worked for me thanks I think it was just my setting prefer maximum performance, just would be nice to find a way for the clocks to stick past a reboot now :)

rigolo
03-17-2015, 06:02 PM
I might make a BIOS with these settings built in. But for now it is much safer to set them after boot. I only restart for updates or some program installation, so it isn't a major deal. Glad I could help you get the most out of your machine. This is my first ASUS and I can say I now am a fan. The build quality is much better vs MSI/Clevo/CyberpowerPC etc. Lack of upgradeable graphics card kind of sucks, but then again I am more likely to just hunt for another good deal on a newer model when it comes time to upgrade, rather than upgrade just the graphics card, and then cash this one in on eBay.

mite_jan
09-05-2015, 10:15 PM
i got mine stable with the modded vbios with little voltage increasment 1.18v
core - 1367
memory - 3304

i have not tried to increase the voltage more and continue testing