PDA

View Full Version : My (barely 2 weeks old) G551JM Boots to Bios

whitespells
03-14-2015, 01:10 PM
Hi!

I bought my G551JM-CN060H not too long ago. It came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled and I haven't messed with any of the factory settings. It's been working very smoothly! ... Up until it incredibly randomly restarted today and then booted up BIOS. I restarted it, got BIOS again. Started googling solutions - to no avail. When I look in the boot up options, I can't even find the internal HDD with the OS installed on it to boot from.

I have no idea what's going on with this machine. Did the internal HD just up and die? Even though I bought the laptop recently? I honestly don't know what to do.

GottiBoi55
03-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Hi!

I bought my G551JM-CN060H not too long ago. It came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled and I haven't messed with any of the factory settings. It's been working very smoothly! ... Up until it incredibly randomly restarted today and then booted up BIOS. I restarted it, got BIOS again. Started googling solutions - to no avail. When I look in the boot up options, I can't even find the internal HDD with the OS installed on it to boot from.

I have no idea what's going on with this machine. Did the internal HD just up and die? Even though I bought the laptop recently? I honestly don't know what to do.

Hi whitespells, and welcome to the Asus ROG Forum.
Okay lets see if you can enter Windows first, then we'll try to fix the Boot Manger.
When in the BIOS setup screen.

1. Tab over to the last tab Save & Exit.
2. Next arrow down to Boot Override.
3. Select Windows Boot Manger, and hit enter.

Hopefully you will enter Windows. (if not we'll try something else.)
If you enter Windows try this.

1. Right click on the Windows Icon. (Bottom left)
2. Click on "Command Prompt(Admin)"
3. Enter this command bootrec /fixboot
4. Hit the enter key.

Next restart windows, and lets see if that worked.
Hopefully that will work(fingers crossed)

whitespells
03-14-2015, 04:03 PM
Hello and thank you for responding!

I went inside that section like you said, but it won't let me pick Boot Override. I can't select it or "enter" there as it won't be selected.

Here's a picture:

GottiBoi55
03-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Hello and thank you for responding!

I went inside that section like you said, but it won't let me pick Boot Override. I can't select it or "enter" there as it won't be selected.

Here's a picture:

Looks like your Boot Manger is missing, and your OS is most likely corrupted.
You should return to reseller for exchange, if you are still in the return/exchange policy time frame.
Most resellers will give you 14-30 days to return, so you need to act fast on this my friend.

whitespells
03-14-2015, 09:52 PM
I thought so, as well. It's the weekend, but I've now filed a ticket with the company I bought the computer from through their website and I hope to get in touch with them on Monday.

Thank you for the help!

GottiBoi55
03-14-2015, 10:01 PM
You are welcome, hope all goes well for you my friend.