PDA

View Full Version : G751JY USB external Harddrive problem

rockrog
03-14-2015, 07:39 PM
Hello,
I have a really annoying problem when connecting an external USB harddrive (right side USB port). I usually let it plugged, but a window explorer pops up times to times after few hours or sometimes it begins to pop up every minutes or so. It makes each time a weird "harddrive" noise. I have an autorun.inf files on the external harddrive root. The window should pop up only one time when the device is plugged.
Anyone can help me to resolve that weird issue? Thanks.

rockrog
03-15-2015, 01:22 PM
I don't know if someone figuring out what I mean there. This is really painful and I don't know what does activate that weird behaviour. It is like a process needs to access my external usk disk time to times.

rockrog
03-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Anyone knows how to avoid that window to show up like crazy?

fidelity101
03-16-2015, 09:10 PM
I have a similar issue with any external hard drive on my computer in either USB port. I think the problem is power related as it turns off the device and then quickly starts back up, hence the window keeps appearing. I'm not sure how to fix this but apparently BIOS 205 was suppose to address this issue for some. For me, it's only when I use an external hard drive that doesn't have it's own power system and this doesn't happen with USB memory sticks.

If it's only with external HDD's, it may be a power related issue for you as well and you'll have to either find a way to power the device externally or start using a memory stick instead. :)

Prostar Computer
03-16-2015, 10:22 PM
It could be a power issue like fidelity described. There's a selective suspend option in the Windows Power Options; you may need to disable that. If it's a USB 3.0 hard drive, it could be a fault in that chipset (one particular stepping had issues with 3.0 mass storage drives). Or it could simply be a bad connection or a faulty cable.