PDA

View Full Version : Backlit keyboard broken?

olounda
11-15-2011, 08:26 PM
So I just got my g74 back from bestbuy repair (bios update fried the board, so sent it in and they replaced the motherboard), and now the backlit keyboard doesn't work. the fn key and all the other options work, just not the backlit keyboard. Is there a bios update/driver update that i could install to fix the issue?

dstrakele
11-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Did you try Fn-F4 to turn on the keyboard backlight?

If that fails, go to "Control Panel - Uninstall a Program" and uninstall the ASUS ATK Package - REBOOT - then install ATK Package 1.00.0014.

olounda
11-15-2011, 08:29 PM
the fn-f3 and f4 button both do not work. however, all the other fn-functions work.

olounda
11-15-2011, 08:32 PM
actually i just noticed. None of my lights up front work, no hdd light, battery charging light, wifi light.

dstrakele
11-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Sounds like they forgot to reconnect some cables at Best Buy.

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Try going into C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey and dbl-clicking HControl.exe

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 08:38 PM
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5665-G53Sw-Baccklights&p=41260&viewfull=1#post41260

olounda
11-15-2011, 08:38 PM
I guess i'll pull it apart and see if i can find the unplugged cable. and that hcontrol.exe did absolutly nothing :(

dstrakele
11-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Here is a G74SX Disassembly Guide: http://btoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3525. But I'd recommend bringing it back to Best Buy unless you have laptop repair experience.

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 08:43 PM
I would bring it back anyway. Things should work when you just buy them.

xeromist
11-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Sounds like they forgot to reconnect some cables at Best Buy.

Or they connected it upside down...

BrodyBoy
11-15-2011, 08:56 PM
It would be difficult to get any of the cables backwards or upside down. They all "approach" the motherboard a certain way and you'd have to really twist and contort them to put them in the wrong way....in fact, I'm not sure the top cover would lie properly with a twisted cable under there. There's very little clearance. Here's a photo with the top cover tilted up (supported by a screwdriver!)....if you look closely, you can see the five ribbon cables.

Rather than a cable problem, I think this sounds like one of those weird ATK issues. ATK is actually five different programs under one installer umbrella, and it seems to get messed up easily. I'd go through the standard ATK troubleshooting....uninstall, reinstall, etc.....before looking at the cables.

olounda
11-15-2011, 09:07 PM
well, its going back anyways, cuz the headphone jack doesn't work either.... sometimes i wish bestbuy knew what the hell they were doing, or would just ship to asus for repairs instead of using "their" techs...

BrodyBoy
11-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Good idea. :)

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 09:36 PM
well, its going back anyways, cuz the headphone jack doesn't work either.... sometimes i wish bestbuy knew what the hell they were doing, or would just ship to asus for repairs instead of using "their" techs...
Kick ass and take names, olounda! :thumbsup:

olounda
11-16-2011, 02:06 AM
So, they fixed my audio jack, and my front led's, so now i know whats going on. However, the backlight on my keyboard still doesn't work. they said that everything was plugged in nice and tight with leads me to believe 1 of 2 things happened. 1, when i originally got it sent back to me from the repair shop, they somehow damaged the keyboard, or connector for the backlight, or 2, it is a bios issue... as the rest of the Fn buttons work and bring up the correct OSD overlay when pressed. The reason why my machine went into the shop in the first place was because a bios update bricked it. I want to re-update my bios to 202 (its currently on 201 due to the new motherboard) to fix my numpad. What are some more stable ways to update my bios besides windows (which is how it fried last time...)?

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 02:38 AM
If you have a G74 the current bios is 203.

There's an eaay to follow procedure at the end of my New Drivers sticky.

Donnchadh
05-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Neither the backlit keyboard is working (backlit) whilst all the other fn + functions seem fine. Just got the laptop yesterday.

Additionally my headphone jac is lifeless. As are the lights at the front of the keyboard wifi/battery etc...

Have tried all the usual, uninstalling ATk etc. I didn't notice the problem until I had basically set the laptop up completely re drivers and updates etc...so I went as far as restore it to factory to find that it the same.

Any other ideas..or is it a send back job...

cheers,

Donn

dstrakele
05-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Welcome Donn - You've done enough troubleshooting. Exchange that sucka for a new unit!

Don't let anyone talk you into an RMA. Return it for a refund if it's out of stock.

Donnchadh
05-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Wow quick reply. Cheers.

Well I bought it factory refurbished w 1year warranty...I doubt they would give me newie...but it should still work out of the box.

Donnchadh
05-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Talk me into an RMA....would I really have the choice? They would probably make the decision no? at the service centre (of which there is one not super far from me).

dstrakele
05-02-2012, 12:50 AM
It depends on your retailer's exchange/return policy for refurbished laptops. Check online to see if you can find it to use in your favor for your case.

Complain tenaciously, but politely. Take it all the way to the top. See if you can at least get another refurbished unit, or a refund. There's no reason you should have to accept a defective unit right out of the box.

Once you accept an RMA, the laptop's problems become YOUR problems. You must then rely on ASUS to repair your laptop, and be without it while they do so. This is great for the retailer, who has gotten rid of a defective system, and is now off the hook.

Donnchadh
05-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Yeah, agreed. The reseller I got it from, that was their last one though...
I have e-mailed them re the situation.

And I really don't fancy having to pack it all up (unless they arrange for a pick up..or I arrange for a drop off?)...never had to send a laptop anywhere for service..seems a big bother.

dstrakele
05-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Who is your reseller?

Donnchadh
05-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Lapyking.com.au

dstrakele
05-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Tell them we are all waiting to see how they will resolve your issue ...

Donnchadh
05-02-2012, 05:40 AM
Indeed :P Keep you posted as the petit saga unfolds.

THanks for your input.