PDA

View Full Version : G73 issues when installing SSD

kwdriver
11-16-2011, 02:20 AM
Good evening. Another NOOB post here.

I recently purchased a Crucial M4SSD (64gb) for my G73. My plan was to clone my current drive utilizing Acronis True Image and copy the clone to my new SSD. I ran through some trouble getting the G73 to recognize the new SSD and the only way I've found to recognize it is to use a USB to SATA cable. I've looked in the bios and sure enough the SSD isn't recognized. I've removed the rubber bumpers in the 2nd drive bay to ensure the SSD is properly seated.

One would suggest just clone the drive using Acronis via the USB to SATA cable. The problem here is for some reason Acronis grays out my initial hard drive and the SSD when I go to the select destination drive portion of the process.

I would appreciate it if anyone could steer me in the right direction. I've read a lot of threads and spent a lot of time trying to get the SSD to work. I have not yet done a clean install. I might try that out (in the future) if I can't clone the drive.

The plan for the 64gb drive is simply to run the OS and a few programs/games that I frequently use.

Thanks in advance!

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 02:26 AM
I removed my second hdd and installed the ssd in it's place then did the cloneing with my acronis bootable dvd.

Then interrupt the reestart and either swap the drive to the other position or go into the bios and tell your lappy to boot from the ssd

Either way use the bootable dvd. It works better for cloning.

kwdriver
11-16-2011, 02:40 AM
When you replaced HD#2 with your SSD did your G73 recognize it? For some reason mine will not recognize it unless I plug it in via the USB/SATA cable (external).

I'm currently making a Acronis bootable DVD.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 02:45 AM
You need to initialize it. Go into Computer Management, Disk Management then right clixk on the drive. Oh, and shrink your system partition to the same size as the ssd.

kwdriver
11-16-2011, 03:05 AM
I've formatted the SSD as you described. I assume that's what you meant by initializing it.

Same deal. It's visible via the USB/SATA cable but not when I install it in the internal 2nd drive slot.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Install the intel rapid storage drivers from my New Drivers sticky then restart.

kwdriver
11-16-2011, 03:48 AM
JR,

Hey I installed the Intel RST. Restarted my computer. Opened up the Intel RST program and my SSD was not visible. Restarted the G73 again and the the SSD is still not visible anywhere. Any other ideas? The SSD appears to be working when running through the USB/SATA cable. Thanks in advance.

3um35m0
11-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Hi guys,

I'm having some issues installing an Agility 3 SSD on G53SW. The drive is shown on bios, detected on windows and linux but I simply cannot do a fresh install these OS'es on SSD. Anyone had similar issues?

Thanks!

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 08:49 AM
I've formatted the SSD as you described. I assume that's what you meant by initializing it.

Same deal. It's visible via the USB/SATA cable but not when I install it in the internal 2nd drive slot.
Your problem here is more fundamental than drive bay position, formatting, or initializing. Until the drive is recognized by your G73 BIOS, the rest is moot....you obviously don't want your OS drive operating over USB.

I think the first two steps should be (1) update the G73 to the latest BIOS, and (2) ensure that your Crucial drive is running the latest firmware. One caution about updating Crucial drives: their firmware updates are not always cumulative, which means you sometimes need to do an intermediate update before installing the latest one (when applicable). Be sure to read the update instructions....for the G73's BIOS and for the Crucial SSD....very carefully before you start.

Once those two conditions are confirmed, then evaluate again whether your drive is recognized. If not, check troubleshooting and FAQs on the Crucial site to see if this is a known issue with a known solution. Beyond that, I'd say you need to return that drive. If it won't work in your computer, it's either defective or incompatible somehow. Either way, you can't use it...so try another one.

Hey I installed the Intel RST. Restarted my computer. Opened up the Intel RST program and my SSD was not visible. Restarted the G73 again and the the SSD is still not visible anywhere.
Again, this problem is BIOS level....so there's nothing you can do in Windows to resolve it, and there's nothing you can do with that drive (as a SATA device) until you resolve the BIOS recognition issue.

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Hi guys,

I'm having some issues installing an Agility 3 SSD on G53SW. The drive is shown on bios, detected on windows and linux but I simply cannot do a fresh install these OS'es on SSD. Anyone had similar issues?

Thanks!
This is a different problem, in that your drive IS recognized. Can your elaborate on the problem? Why can't you do the clean install....what error do you get and when does it happen?

kwdriver
11-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Brody, Thanks for the suggestions. I'm currently running the latest bios and vbios for that matter. I will however, go to the crucial site and do the firmware update (after work).