PDA

View Full Version : One question for Asus about Driver CD & questions about switching Retina Macbook Pro

EdyJay92
03-16-2015, 02:05 PM
I'm wondering about 1 thing... Why these asus ROG G751/771 laptops come with no Drivers CD?
Would it be because these are new on market... and they will gather some data and then will release a site or a CD with the best drivers... that are tested by them? I don't know if i'm making myself clear, but i hope you'll understand the message...
Because... I've a Retina Macbook Pro 15"... and i'd want to buy one of ROG's new 17" laptop... But as for apple i hate one thing: they release updates that are not suited for my laptop...
I want thing to be more accurate...to be clear about updates and drivers...
2. And one more question... I'm a DJ, but also would like to play FarCry and some of the best games... i like that eye candy that provides good quality games... It's a battle between 250Gb with no possibility to upgrade... and plenty of upgrades towards Asus...
But another issue is Windows 8.1... Hoping that Windows 10 will bring stability, major and good changes... but untill than...
3. If Windows 10 will be available... we could upgrade to it? Thinking it's the same platform...

Would you switch from Retina Macbook Pro 15" mid 2012 8gb Ram GT 640M(i think) 1gb) 250gb ssd
to Asus G751JT or G771JM(because of the 2TB+512SSD)?
From what i've seen there are a lot of problems with G series...
Just asking for opinions, thanks...

navis995
03-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Firstly Apple is not meant for gaming I hope you know that. Secondly I've had hard time understanding what you wrote because of the order and poor line organisation so you may want to try a little bit better asking the question next time (I know it's so hard).

Now to come to the Asus Rog G751 series. You have many types of those depending on the price range and its components. Of course the more you pay, better deal you'll get as far the components go. So it's up to you in the end how much are you willing to spent and what you except from the device it self.

The drivers are available on the internet. You can get them from their official site or download them manually (I prefer the latter as some are outdated on their site). There is really no need to drivers to be on CD-s any more as those are becoming obsolete and frankly who uses CD's nowadays any way.

These laptops offer RAM and Hard Drive upgrade meaning you can increase the amount of ram (Up to 32GB) and add another HDD/SDD in the empty bay or remove CD/DVD or BluRay reader and add another one (Which is not really required IMO).

You can upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 without any problems as Windows are upgradable (You can keep the old data when you upgrade from older to newer version). If you feel like it you can also install MacOS or even Linux.

All in all Windows is generally better option these days as it offers greater variety of not only components but also price range which is limited greatly on Mac systems (Just take the latest device for example).

Cheerio

EdyJay92
03-16-2015, 09:40 PM
From what i've seen in some posts, you should NOT download Nvidia version and you have to go for Asus drivers(from their website), and things are a little messy...
What i was trying to say, is that i want from one site... One CD... one thing... from that ONE to have all i need for My Machine to work... i can not, and i really don't have patience anymore with these things(to search there and there and there) ...
I hate errors after errors and problems after problems, i have many in real life, so...
That's what i'm wondering if i can put my trust on G751JT that has strong build... and strong software/drivers...
Because i've seen a lot of problems on 751 and 771...

I'm sorry for my poor organisation in making myself clear... but i can't do nothing about that... i don't how to do that :) 'cuz in my head it's a mess, i start thinking about something and end up with something else... Sorry :)

Edit: *And yes, i do know that Apple is for bussiness class or audio-video editing... or something like that... it's not a beast machine but it works, and you can put your trust in it. That's for sure :)

Clintlgm
03-16-2015, 11:53 PM
Well it sounds like your sold on Apple!! Asus makes a lot of notebooks a lot. So when you come to a support forum you are going to see problems and solutions to problems. Gaming computers are tweaking to the max for the best possible performance for the money. Most people don't have any issues as you can see here we have a few people but Asus sells thousands of Gaming notebooks. Still if you have a gaming notebook, you'll also have to tweak and adjust things to get the best performance and keep things going smoothly.

EdyJay92
03-17-2015, 07:01 AM
Yup, i'm really not satisfied with only 250gb with no possibility to upgrade and exorbitant prices for One SSD, or their Retina Display it's for Christ Sake - about 600Euro's in my country...
but i was trying to get some suggestions from people... maybe there are some that were in my position...

And may i ask some information about WINDOWS 8.1?? Is it Stable? Some problems with it? My cousin has an Asus laptop N Series that came with some problems(Not the laptop, but some app from their new Metro UI was going hardcore) that kept HDD rotations on maximum ... and it was practically unusable... (It was an Seagate(i think) with 5400RPM - lame)
So... I'm really wondering if it's a good transition to do from Mac OS X (It's one of the best OS) to Windows 8.1 (that i kinda don't trust)... maybe if it was Windows 7 i wouldn't wonder around and go straight to shop to buy the product :D
Comparison between them(in my opinion):
- Also i'm losing the good sound quality from theApple speakers and the battery life (which i don't mind... but, their battery life are the best)...
- The displays are almost equally somehow... You practically don't need Retina's resolution... it's too much... It's better on Asus, and a good quality IPS panel with Matte screen.
- Asus It's a bit bulky 4,8 kgs but... i do understand that it is needed for that power, and i don't care... it's a compromise
- I do LIKE the COOLERS!!!!!!!!!! They're the best...

One more QUESTION: If i swap the Blu-Ray RW(or whatever is in there) with an HDD, can i use that Optical Drive with an adapter?? On USB or whatever? Or i'll have to buy one from the store that equipped with USB( optical drive)??

EdyJay92
03-17-2015, 09:49 AM
You can upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 without any problems as Windows are upgradable (You can keep the old data when you upgrade from older to newer version). If you feel like it you can also install MacOS or even Linux.

Cheerio

You said something about INSTALL MacOS (Linux it's not an option for me, only if i could install Native Instrument's Traktor Pro - that's .exe file), Can i & how can i install MacOS on G751JT? Is it compatible? I heard about Hackintosh, but tried with an Asus laptop X54H (15", i3, 4gb RAM, 500gb 5400RPM, AMD HD 6470M with 1GB. And what i heard you can't Hackintosh a laptop with AMD...
Did someone tried with G751 or 771?

Clintlgm
03-18-2015, 12:42 AM
Well for Windows 8.1 its much better and faster than window 7, the issues are with the metro desktop and Apps.
Classic Shell (http://www.classicshell.net/) will put and end to that and you can set up your desktop just the same a you do Win 7 Vista or XP. You do not have to deal with the OneDrive and metro just turn it off, boot to your log in and desktop.

EdyJay92
03-18-2015, 06:30 AM
Classic Shell (http://www.classicshell.net/) will put and end to that .

So, are you saying that steam and every button on laptop (Game center, and everything) will work as it should like in Windows 8.1, but with the interface of 7 and without all the crap from 8.1??