PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-A1 Freezing

ArnoldH
11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I recently purchased this G74SX-A1 laptop. I loved the look of it and it had all of the specs I need for class BUT sadly it has been nothing but a headache.

The problem I am having is that out of the box the laptop will freeze. It will freeze while booting up on the ASUS screen or on the windows screen, it will freeze while messing around on the internet, it will freeze while playing games.

I have reloaded the OS, I have updated the wireless drivers, i have updated the Nvidia drivers, I have updated the BIOS to 203.

I'm pretty much at my whit's end. I'm just about to give up and RMA it. Anyone have any suggestions?

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Have you tried doing a clean Windows installation? I'll be the first to say that you should NOT have to do that to make a brand new machine functional....but alas, that seems to be the case with some of these.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 10:37 AM
It might make more sense to do the Atheros wifi driver update, first, to isolate the problem. It's also a lot easierto do at 5am. :D

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 10:40 AM
It might make more sense to do the Atheros wifi driver update, first, to isolate the problem. It's also a lot easierto do at 5am. :D
I think he already did that. Sounds like he's already tried re-installing and updating everything..... :(

I have reloaded the OS, I have updated the wireless drivers, i have updated the Nvidia drivers, I have updated the BIOS to 203.

ArnoldH
11-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Please disregard my thread. The laptop has gone the way of the brick and I have filled out a RMA request.

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Best of luck. I hope you get a successful repair and a quick turnaround. :)

Nooblade
11-16-2011, 12:29 PM
This case looks like a Dead on Arrival unit. A replacement unit might be the most satisfactory for you!

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Yup! I agree!

ArnoldH
11-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Ok, now that I have gotten my RMA# and I'm just about ready to send this thing out I have one small question.

Do NOT include any accessories such as:
ASUS accessories (user manuals, support / driver CD's, cables, retention brackets / mechanisms, i/o shield, etc)
Non-ASUS products (CPU, memory, hard drives, etc.)

I know this is a DUMB question, but I just had to ask to make sure

What does that mean? I get the part about "user manuals, support / driver CD's, cables, retention brackets / mechanisms, i/o shield, etc". But the second part....are they saying you should remove your CPU, RAM and hard drive before sending it out? O_o

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 02:11 AM
I think they mean anything you've customized about your setup. For example, if you've done your own WIndows installation, or replaced a hard drive or added memory, it'd be wise to remove those before sending it in. From what I can tell, the repaired units almost always come back with a factory restore.

JRd1st
11-18-2011, 01:39 PM
. . . and DEFINITELY deactivate any software that may need it otherwise you'll be making phone calls. ;)