PDA

View Full Version : Wifi speed issues?, G751JY <-> RT-AC87U

jesasi
03-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Hey guys!

Got my new toys some time ago, but not so pleased with speed in wlan at intranet.

So, i have G751JY-T7004H and my old HP i7/ssd/etc laptop, with RT-AC87U.

If i connect both laptops with cat6 cable via router, i do get pretty good transfer speeds, around 100MB/s.
That is also proof that both machines can outrun gigabit ethernet.

I scanned 5GHz area with some apps and also with my android phone, my router is only 5G signal what i found.

Set wpa2 personal with aes, tested with router QoS on/off, firewall on/off, etc etc, distance between my G751 and router is less than 6ft and they have clear line of sight.

Please see my screenshot, that is about all what i can get, from laptop with gigabit ethernet to my G751 what is connected to wifi:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9it487syih1cftf/Screenshot%202015-03-17%2017.42.36.png?dl=0

I really expected ~50MB/s or more.

How about you?

hmscott
03-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Hey guys!
Got my new toys some time ago, but not so pleased with speed in wlan at intranet.
So, i have G751JY-T7004H and my old HP i7/ssd/etc laptop, with RT-AC87U.
If i connect both laptops with cat6 cable via router, i do get pretty good transfer speeds, around 100MB/s.
That is also proof that both machines can outrun gigabit ethernet.
I scanned 5GHz area with some apps and also with my android phone, my router is only 5G signal what i found.
Set wpa2 personal with aes, tested with router QoS on/off, firewall on/off, etc etc, distance between my G751 and router is less than 6ft and they have clear line of sight.
Please see my screenshot, that is about all what i can get, from laptop with gigabit ethernet to my G751 what is connected to wifi:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9it487syih1cftf/Screenshot%202015-03-17%2017.42.36.png?dl=0
I really expected ~50MB/s or more.
How about you?

jesasi, here is an in depth 802.11ac review, with lots of good info, link is to the page with a 5ghz throughput chart, check out the whole article:

Gigabit Wireless? Five 802.11ac Routers, Benchmarked
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wi-fi-802.11ac-router,3386-10.html

Generally folder copy's aren't good for benchmarking, lots of things get in the way, like small files vs big files - lots of small files take a long time to stat vs a couple of big files, small files require lots more file system operations than large files, even though you have a large file it is a highly compressed file and part of the transfer rate improvement over wireless is gained by compression - even 2x 25MB/sec gets you the 50MB/sec.

Is it the same speed in both directions from client to server vs from server to client (see article link above chart shows massive difference in results depending on direction). Check results from other benchmarks than folder copy.

One good thing to try is to use a fast RAMDISK for the transfers, even SSD's aren't as fast as RAMDISK.

This review of the RT-AC87U shows even faster access, even to the USB 3.0 port on the router... to/from an HDD...you might try putting an SSD into a USB 3.0 case and attach it to the router and see what kind of throughput the G751 gets.

Keep tuning , testing, and measuring :)