PDA

View Full Version : Powering up my G73 w/out using the Power button: Is this impossible?

andycapp
11-16-2011, 04:15 PM
My G73JH spends most of its time under a monitor stand, and with all of the cables connected, it is difficult to pull out far enough to open the the screen and hit the power button to turn it on, unless I disconnect some of the cables and then reconnect them.

Is there an alternate way to get the machine to power-up?

Caveat: I realize that I can put the machine into 'sleep' mode, and then use the mouse or keyboard to 'wake' it. That's fine during the day, but I prefer to have the machine fully powered down overnight, and this daily ritual is kind of a pain (plus, I am not a fan of the wear and tear caused by constant cable plug-ins).

I could live with a solution that involves a 'wake from hibernate,' because hibernate does shut down the machine; I would just do a re-boot every morning to 'freshen-up', but I'm not aware of any other way (besides power button) to wake from hibernate either.

Thanks for your thoughts.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 04:22 PM
I'd like some way to do that, too. Y9ud have to mod the ubit, I think; put a small momentary contact button on the side?

xeromist
11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Does the BIOS have any options for "Wake on [...]"?

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 06:53 PM
I'd like some way to do that, too. Y9ud have to mod the ubit, I think; put a small momentary contact button on the side?
Agreed. There's no alternative to physically pressing that button, ASAIK. So you have several ways to try to "externalize" the button, but I think the easiest would be a "lever system" that takes advantage of the fact that the lid is closed. (That would be kind of a fun little project! :))

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 06:54 PM
@xeromist, Doesn't it have to be on to some extent to do that?

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Does the BIOS have any options for "Wake on [...]"?
But don't those only work from sleep? If those functions could actually power up a machine, that's obviously the way to go. But I do think the machine has to be asleep.... :(

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Agreed. There's no alternative to physically pressing that button, ASAIK. So you have several ways to try to "externalize" the button, but I think the easiest would be a "lever system" that takes advantage of the fact that the lid is closed. (That would be kind of a fun little project! :))

Crazy as it sounds, opening the lid is what I want to avoid. I have a dock and rarely touch the laptop, except to turn it on. Lol

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Just close the lid on a pop stick and lift the stick slightly to push the button. Is that what you meant, Brody?

ScottinSoCal
11-16-2011, 07:04 PM
The BIOS should have (but apparently doesn't - I just checked my G74) the ability to turn itself on at a set time each day - every computer I've owned in the last 7+ years has. It should also have (but apparently doesn't) the option to wake on LAN. It gets a signal from another computer to turn itself on and does. Of course you'd need another computer for that.....

So, yeah, it looks like you'll need to MacGyver something.

xeromist
11-16-2011, 07:11 PM
@xeromist, Doesn't it have to be on to some extent to do that?

...ish. It depends on the implementation but some wake on features are extremely low power and don't require OS sleep. A proper wake-on setup doesn't even care what OS is running for that matter. They can essentially be "off" and be required to go through a normal booting process on wake.

I've no idea if ANY of the ASUS laptops even have low level wake capabilities though, since that's not something you normally need in a portable machine.

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Just close the lid on a pop stick and lift the stick slightly to push the button. Is that what you meant, Brody?
Yeah, something along that line! I'm not sure how much clearance there is when the lid's closed, so you have to use a lever that's thin enough to not depress the button otherwise. And probably cover it in a way that holds it in place and protects the laptop display. But it doesn't seem like it'd be too complicated, right?

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Convert the useless VGA port to adapt to connect to a button? But you'd have to undo the internal connections if you sell the notebook.

fuzon1337
11-16-2011, 07:28 PM
When you put your computer to idle-/sleep mode, doesn't it start up when you hit one of the buttons on the KB or am I wrong about that?

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 07:32 PM
When you put your computer to idle-/sleep mode, doesn't it start up when you hit one of the buttons on the KB or am I wrong about that?
But it's on in a low power state all the time it's asleep.

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Convert the useless VGA port to adapt to connect to a button? But you'd have to undo the internal connections if you sell the notebook.
No, that was actually related to my first thought about this: "externalizing" the existing power assembly button somehow. (Assuming the G73 is configured the same along the side.) The biggest challenge to using the VGA port would be finding a physical switch or button that fits in that spot.

But it could be externalized in other ways. The button assembly is just a small PCB with a fairly long ribbon cable to the M/B. (Again, this is for the G74....someone would have to confirm that the G73 set-up is the same.) So I think it would be easiest to actually re-route that cable out the side or back of the laptop and mount that PCB on the outside. Then you could find or make a switch/button that fits over it.

JRd1st
11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm saying to run wires to the vga port, and connect a vga connector with a button attached for the switch.

How many wires go to that little circuit board?

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm saying to run wires to the vga port, and connect a vga connector with a button attached for the switch.

How many wires go to that little circuit board?
Hmmm....I think you need that board.

It's a fairly narrow ribbon cable....I'd guess about 10 pins. It's the white cable closest to the camera in this shot:

(sorry for the poor quality)

andycapp
11-16-2011, 08:03 PM

You SHOULD be able to wake from 'Sleep' mode with a keyboard and/or mouse. (If you can't, go into Device Manager, find the entries indicated as 'USB Root Hub'. Right Click, select 'Power Management' Tab, and UN-check the entry that says, "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Do this for all instances of Root Hub.

Unfortunately, the problem with sleep mode, is that it is technically an 'on' (though low power) state. It consumes power, which is nominal if you're on AC, but could drain your battery if you're on DC. Most importantly though, it lacks the 'failsafe' of hibernate:

In Hibernate mode, your active RAM, programs, etc. are saved to the hard-drive (think of it as an image of your working memory). So e.g., if you lose power for some reason, before your battery dies, it will force the machine to enter hibernate mode. You could revisit that computer a month later and return it exactly to its prior state.

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Good guess on my part...that cable is exactly ten pins! I found a better photo of the M/B connector and counted. ;)

fuzon1337
11-16-2011, 09:19 PM
You SHOULD be able to wake from 'Sleep' mode with a keyboard and/or mouse. (If you can't, go into Device Manager, find the entries indicated as 'USB Root Hub'. Right Click, select 'Power Management' Tab, and UN-check the entry that says, "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Do this for all instances of Root Hub.

Unfortunately, the problem with sleep mode, is that it is technically an 'on' (though low power) state. It consumes power, which is nominal if you're on AC, but could drain your battery if you're on DC. Most importantly though, it lacks the 'failsafe' of hibernate:

In Hibernate mode, your active RAM, programs, etc. are saved to the hard-drive (think of it as an image of your working memory). So e.g., if you lose power for some reason, before your battery dies, it will force the machine to enter hibernate mode. You could revisit that computer a month later and return it exactly to its prior state.

Hehe, it works for me ^^ I was just unsecure if it was in "sleep mode" that would work on :P But thanks a lot for the info, learned more about whats going on when it's in sleep mode :)

gypsymoth
11-16-2011, 10:11 PM
I've wished for this feature as well. I wish all laptops have external power buttons and can power up without opening the lid. Gateway had notebooks where the buttons is external. Unfortunately, the notebook won't turn on unless the lid is open.

BrodyBoy
11-16-2011, 10:21 PM
I've wished for this feature as well. I wish all laptops have external power buttons and can power up without opening the lid. Gateway had notebooks where the buttons is external. Unfortunately, the notebook won't turn on unless the lid is open.
I believe the lid switch can be software-disabled. They might not make it easy or intuitive, but I think it can be done.