PDA

View Full Version : G20 Is VRAM causing crash?

The Conscript
03-20-2015, 03:16 AM
Hi, I've just purchased the ROG G20AJ. Specs include:

i7 4790 3.6 Ghz.
Intel H97
GTX 760
180 W + 230 W Power Supply
16 GB Ram

My GTX 760 only has 2GB of VRAM. Under heavy load, my GPU memory usage exceeds 2000MB and up to 2050MB = GPU Crash.
Crashes = Black screen with electrical buzz = hard restart. Latest Drivers and Underclocking have helped me with jack :(

Anyone experience a similar issue? NVIDIA Kernal stopped responding?
Is this insignificant overload enough to crash my computer? RMA?

Should I just go for broke and upgrade to a 970/980?

doctorwinters
03-26-2015, 05:05 AM

i7 4790 3.6 Ghz.
Intel H97
GTX 760
16 GB Ram

My GTX 760 only has 2GB of VRAM. Under heavy load, my GPU memory usage exceeds 2000MB and up to 2050MB = GPU Crash.
Crashes = Black screen with electrical buzz = hard restart. Latest Drivers and Underclocking have helped me with jack :(

I'm inthe same boat. I sent the G20 back for "repair" but it still does the same thing. Games are unplayable on this 1200 dollar paperweight

Ravenholme
03-26-2015, 04:57 PM
i haven't had issues with Crashes like that but I found uninstalling some of the unnecessary software and disabling the intel graphics in device manager helped. may want to give that a try.

Phigmeta
03-30-2015, 07:29 AM
So here is an odd one, I solved my 760 failing issues.... sadly only AFTER I replaced it with a 980 (well i guess its not all that sad really)

When I removed the card I noticed it sounded as though something was loose in there. Turns out that one of those plastic tension pins on the vram had broken and was causing the heatsink to no longer touch the vram.... a quick fix with some screws and its up and running again... though now in a different PC

So maybe give that a try first .... OH and as a note: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487087

This fits perfectly (you will need to move the rear bracket out) you MAY want some foam between the retainer and the card, i didn't think that 2mm gap matters enough.

The g20 is a great machine, post reconfiguration. Here is my short list:

Installed new primary drive (SSD) in the 2.5 slot (without pulling the heatsink apart i might add)
Extensive Bios changes for the drives. (they really broke the configuration of the drives on this thing)
Ripped out all of the ASUS crapware (Left ASUS Command, murdered the cFOS silliness, the ultrafail desktop thing, and the cyberlink blah)
Murdered virtuwatt - because it needed killing
Installed a 980
Disabled the Intel HD
Performed a full DDU uninstall of nvidia drivers
Did the Bios Update

Finally after a crapton of "doing it right" i have resolved ASUS wrongs.... luckily its a sexy looking PC or i would have returned it weeks ago.

AS A NOTE: the 980 is WHISPER QUIET and really makes this thing shine.

Ravenholme
03-30-2015, 10:18 PM
sounds like a bit of an adventure… lol. i'm debating if i should uninstall Aegis & the Intel software :p isn't causing a ruckus so it's been there for sometime. everything else was removed (cyberlink, adobe acrobat, virtuwatt, cloud storage)

Runnag
06-24-2015, 01:03 AM

i7 4790 3.6 Ghz.
Intel H97
GTX 760
16 GB Ram

I had experienced this same issue with mine for some time. I ran through the system and removed all the crapware that was in the system. But i still seemed to be having the same issue with it, over again. It would only happen when i played The Elder Scrolls Online ( which puts a heavy load on the GPU). So i figured it had to be the Graphics card over heating or something of that nature.
I was completely wrong. Turned out to be the HDD was bad. Sectors were not responding correctly and making the computer hard restart. I ended up sending it in for warranty repair and when i got it back two days ago it runs like a dream again.
So before you go off and spending money on a graphics card that may not even fix the issue i want everyone t have this tid-bit.

P.S. the First G20 i purchased was a lemon and the GPU (GTX760) did go out after owning it for roughly 4-5 weeks. Received a whole new pc and this happened 3 months down the road.
Any additional questions on anything please ask and ill answer to the best of my ability.