PDA

View Full Version : G751JY Disassembly Pics

joshindaphils
03-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Update:

Video teardown guide (all rights to the video creator):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7px8mx5LU

Original post:

Had my G751 serviced under warranty due to a rattling sound. Ended up being the double sided tape that holds the CMOS battery came undone allowing the battery to rattle around. Took the opportunity to take a bunch of pics and have some IC Diamond 24 applied as well.

joshindaphils
03-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Cont.

It is my understanding that doing this yourself is a warranty violation, though I saw nothing that would indicate that the device was opened, i.e. a warranty void sticker.

Sargatanas
03-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I was already searching for a howto to reapply the thermal paste.
Mine had/has the same issue. Still Looks a bit complicated to open and turn the Mainboard :)

joshindaphils
03-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I was already searching for a howto to reapply the thermal paste.
Mine had/has the same issue. Still Looks a bit complicated to open and turn the Mainboard :)

From the bottom pull all the screws, pop the back part behind the LCD, unplug the speakers, pop the keyboard, unplug the all the cables, do a bunch more screws and pull the main board. 8 more screws for the heatpipe assembly and your home free.

I've had laptops where you could do this just by opening the user serviceable area, and that is awesome, and I've had laptops like this where you have to pull it all apart to repaste. As far as a laptop that you have to pull apart goes, this is easy to work with due to the size. You just need a jewlers philips and a spudger. It was about a two hour job though.

Sargatanas
03-23-2015, 01:40 PM
thanks for the help. Think I try it this weekend, looks like the same mess like the G73
Your battery problem, did it Sound like plastic or something vibrates front left corner while playing music?

did you compare the temperatures before/after applying the IC Diamond?

joshindaphils
03-24-2015, 02:50 PM
thanks for the help. Think I try it this weekend, looks like the same mess like the G73
Your battery problem, did it Sound like plastic or something vibrates front left corner while playing music?

did you compare the temperatures before/after applying the IC Diamond?

Yes before at stock settings my proc would get real close to 90c, and my GPU would hover around 85c when stress tested. (haven and IXT stress test) Now I can max the multipliers (34x for 4 cores, and max out the current limits on the same test, it take a good 15 min to reach 90 but after 2 hours of stress testing there was no throttling, the GPU now doesn't see anything over 75c. I don't have an apples to apples comparison.

Prostar Computer
03-24-2015, 10:34 PM
It is my understanding that doing this yourself is a warranty violation, though I saw nothing that would indicate that the device was opened, i.e. a warranty void sticker.
There usually is at least one yellow sticker on one of the screws that secures the CPU heat sink.

joshindaphils
03-24-2015, 10:53 PM
There usually is at least one yellow sticker on one of the screws that secures the CPU heat sink.

Something to keep in mind. Below is the image I took just before the heatpipe assembly was removed, no such sticker... at least on mine.

Sargatanas
03-25-2015, 07:13 AM
there won't be a sticker anymore, if you had a repair/Service.
That's something I also recognized with my other ones which needed a service

escha
03-25-2015, 11:42 AM
there is NO sticker / warranty seal on radiators/screws/cooling system in asus g751 jy/jt as I was informed by asus representative/tech support after he consulted it with other asus engineers. That's official answer in my asus account inbox.
Nevertheless warranty service can recognize the change in thermal paste (not original) and call it voided warranty (it's up to them).
You can open it, maybe clean it yourself as it won't leave any tracks if done properly, but changing the paste by yourself may lead to voiding the warranty 'willingly', as they say.
For your consideration...

PS: Thank You for the pics!!!

joshindaphils
03-25-2015, 04:59 PM
there won't be a sticker anymore, if you had a repair/Service.
That's something I also recognized with my other ones which needed a service

That last pic was taken at the service center, after the tech removed the MB, before removal of the heatpipe assembly i.e. before any sticker would of been removed. See esha's comment below as well.

there is NO sticker / warranty seal on radiators/screws/cooling system in asus g751 jy/jt as I was informed by asus representative/tech support after he consulted it with other asus engineers. That's official answer in my asus account inbox.
Nevertheless warranty service can recognize the change in thermal paste (not original) and call it voided warranty (it's up to them).
You can open it, maybe clean it yourself as it won't leave any tracks if done properly, but changing the paste by yourself may lead to voiding the warranty 'willingly', as they say.
For your consideration...

PS: Thank You for the pics!!!

Yeah I would definitely put this under the *do at your own risk* category if you pop it open yourself.

Asus in the Philippines does warranty repair out of local shops, if they can't handle it, it gets sent off (that last bit is speculation). This is a major reason I went with Asus over MSI, with MSI warranty repair is sent off to a national repair depot and your laptop disappears for a week or two.

I was able to walk into the shop with my laptop and tube of grease, and walk out with a fix and a repast done under warranty repair in just over two hours. Just took being friendly and chatting the tech up, got some nice pics as well hehe.

XOIIO
03-27-2015, 09:35 AM
I love the ROG logo on the heatsinks, that's a real mark of quality and attention to detail.

kalkethar
03-31-2015, 10:54 AM
Txs for Pics, good Work:)

arrtaas
04-06-2015, 02:29 AM
Hey, I was wondering what was the thermal compound on VRAM? It is some kind of blue rubber/grease. But I cannot figure out which one is it. Do you have any info on it?

joshindaphils
04-06-2015, 06:00 AM
Hey, I was wondering what was the thermal compound on VRAM? It is some kind of blue rubber/grease. But I cannot figure out which one is it. Do you have any info on it?

It was the same grease that was on the CPU/GPU/everything else.

BlueFox
04-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Hi,
what kind of SSD SATA3 have mounted together with the M.2?
Did you have to disassemble the SSD original case right?

joshindaphils
04-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Hi,
what kind of SSD SATA3 have mounted together with the M.2?
Did you have to disassemble the SSD original case right?

That is a Samsung Evo 850 256GB sans case. The full details are over here along with other methods and drives: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58104-How-to-add-a-4th-drive-to-your-G751

arrtaas
04-06-2015, 09:56 PM
It was the same grease that was on the CPU/GPU/everything else.

Weird, when I disassembled mine, CPU and GPU had normal thermal paste, whereas VRAM and other components had some kind of blue sticky material, never saw something like that and can't find out what it is.

What thermal compound did you use to put between the VRAM and cooler? The gap there is around 0.5 mm and that is too much for standard thermal paste..

joshindaphils
04-06-2015, 10:19 PM
Weird, when I disassembled mine, CPU and GPU had normal thermal paste, whereas VRAM and other components had some kind of blue sticky material, never saw something like that and can't find out what it is.

What thermal compound did you use to put between the VRAM and cooler? The gap there is around 0.5 mm and that is too much for standard thermal paste..

I just used the same IC Diamond 24 I used on everything else. The heatpipe assembly looked properly staged (different levels for all components) and it was the same grey goo everywhere. My thermals are fine (certainly better), and am even running a decent OC w/o issue. Below is the before pic before the board was cleaned up.

Yours probably was using thermal pads like these: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-15x15x1mm-Conductive-Heatsink-Northbridge/dp/B00EQ23OQA/ref=pd_sim_e_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PZQC3H0EQAF1KX6KMC4

arrtaas
04-06-2015, 11:39 PM
I just used the same IC Diamond 24 I used on everything else. The heatpipe assembly looked properly staged (different levels for all components) and it was the same grey goo everywhere. My thermals are fine (certainly better), and am even running a decent OC w/o issue. Below is the before pic before the board was cleaned up.

Yours probably was using thermal pads like these: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-15x15x1mm-Conductive-Heatsink-Northbridge/dp/B00EQ23OQA/ref=pd_sim_e_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PZQC3H0EQAF1KX6KMC4

That is exactly what I was talking about, I can see it even in your pictures that the NVIDIA chip has the normal grey thermal paste, and the VRAM has that blueish stuff. Even the texture of the thermal paste and that blue stuff is different, I remember that it had different properties, the stickiness was different, was harder to clean. and they are definitely different even seeing it from your pic! How much IC diamond did you use? you had to put a thick layer on those VRAM chips. and the capacitors and other components as well..

That blueish stuff felt more like foam, not grease..

joshindaphils
04-07-2015, 04:24 AM
Form wigout = dupe post. Mod please delete.

joshindaphils
04-07-2015, 04:25 AM
Yes I suppose it is a bit different, honestly I didn't notice at the time.

While I was helping out with the warranty service a bit I didn't do all of the labor i.e. I cleaned the heatpipe assembly while the tech cleaned the mobo, and I applied the IC diamond as well.

As a rule I over apply non-conductive grease just to be on the safe side. Looks like I didn't grab any pics of my application though, sorry. It wasn't a crazy amount, probably what would be a little light on the GPU is what I put on the vram as a reference.

arrtaas
04-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Roger, thanks. Cause I noticed the gap between two VRAMs were huge - (0.5mm), so i put more thermal paste there, but it was MX-4 so was not as thick. started it up, ran 3dmark and artifacts showed up, immediately turned it off, started again, no artifacts, but this time I bought 0.5 mm fujipoly thermal pads and applied them, no issues since then. However would be more than happy to figure out what was the original stuff. Wonder if it was normal thermal paste of some kind or what, cause again never saw it before. Any ideas?

Cheetah
04-11-2015, 01:38 AM
I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the CPU. Is it mounted in an IC socket or is it soldered onto the motherboard?

d0r1n
04-11-2015, 05:39 AM
the HQ versions of any cpu are soldered....only the MQ cand be upgraded

Cheetah
04-11-2015, 12:03 PM
I got a Asus G751JT-DH72-CA.

joshindaphils
04-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Cheetah,

Google sayz... that is an HQ chip.

Cheetah
04-13-2015, 05:06 AM
Ok, thanks.

Cheetah
04-13-2015, 05:07 AM
Im very happy with my G751JT. It plays BF4 at ultra high settings beautiful!

QC_AGENT
04-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Had my G751 serviced under warranty due to a rattling sound. Ended up being the double sided tape that holds the CMOS battery came undone allowing the battery to rattle around. Took the opportunity to take a bunch of pics and have some IC Diamond 24 applied as well.

Wow, thanks for the pics. I only want to outline that I've got the same rattling issue when my G751-JY came back from the repair shop for changing the motherboard. I then noticed a rattling sound. I turned it back to my local retailer and they found out it was the CMOS battery. They fixed it with hot glue. The tech did had to disasemble the whole thing again... A three hours job for a 5 min fix. Thanks to ASUS warranty services though.

joshindaphils
04-14-2015, 11:17 AM
Wow, thanks for the pics. I only want to outline that I've got the same rattling issue when my G751-JY came back from the repair shop for changing the motherboard. I then noticed a rattling sound. I turned it back to my local retailer and they found out it was the CMOS battery. They fixed it with hot glue. The tech did had to disassemble the whole thing again... A three hours job for a 5 min fix. Thanks to ASUS warranty services though.

I imagine this will be a common issue... the tape used was not very sticky. Hopefully they have, or will change this up. Seams a shame to cause a bunch of services cases due to some cheap tape.

bahiista
04-14-2015, 04:36 PM
hi can you please show the picture with the cmos battery? thanks

arrtaas
04-15-2015, 12:32 AM
joshindaphils,

I changed my thermal paste from AC MX-4 to IC diamond 24 carat and my temps decreased by 10 to 12 C. Thank you very much, this is freaking awesome!

joshindaphils
04-16-2015, 01:48 PM
hi can you please show the picture with the cmos battery? thanks

Here ya go there is another visible in the initial photo drop. Could give you a better perspective of where it is located if this is zoomed in too tight for you.

joshindaphils
04-16-2015, 01:53 PM
joshindaphils,

I changed my thermal paste from AC MX-4 to IC diamond 24 carat and my temps decreased by 10 to 12 C. Thank you very much, this is freaking awesome!

Nice, glad my post helped ya!

QC_AGENT
04-16-2015, 05:40 PM
The front speakers looks pretty much boxed in, behind the screen. That can explain why 70% of the sound power seams to comes from the Sub speaker I guess?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=47764&d=1427109272&thumb=1

joshindaphils
04-16-2015, 06:27 PM
The front speakers looks pretty much boxed in, behind the screen. That can explain why 70% of the sound power seams to comes from the Sub speaker I guess?

They are rather small to begin with in general as well as compared to the sub. It doesn't help that they fire upwards though are ported to the side (front) not a great design... Asus has never really cared much for audio quality on their laptops, there is definitely enough space to play with to make the audio better. Heck even just adding two speakers per channel would of done something.

arrtaas
04-17-2015, 01:18 AM
Yep the sounds sucks, i unplugged the sub because it was causing more vibration then actual low bass.

Cheetah
04-17-2015, 03:03 AM
Wow....three hours to open and close again all the laptop covers! Im actually looking forward to do it and replace the two ram sticks with 16GB Kingston HyperX 1.35v ram. Then later I can install two more ram for a total of 32 GB ram.

Cheetah
04-17-2015, 03:25 AM
Wow....three hours to open and close again all the laptop covers! Im actually looking forward to do it and replace the two ram sticks with 16GB Kingston HyperX 1.35v ram. Then later I can install two more ram for a total of 32 GB ram.

QC_AGENT
04-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Yep the sounds sucks, i unplugged the sub because it was causing more vibration then actual low bass.

It's still not that bad to me. We have some Laptop at home and this is the one we are using for watching a movie or an episode in the bed. The sound is louder and better define than the average Laptop. The screen is the best I've seen so far as well.

JerJer123
05-31-2015, 04:37 AM
I know this is alot to ask, so forgive me if I am asking for too much here, but would is be possible for you to make some sort of instructional video on how to take the laptop apart just like you did in the OP?

They've made it such a pain in the ass to clean the fans, so it would be nice to have a guide to do this safely.

joshindaphils
05-31-2015, 07:16 AM
I know this is alot to ask, so forgive me if I am asking for too much here, but would is be possible for you to make some sort of instructional video on how to take the laptop apart just like you did in the OP?

They've made it such a pain in the ass to clean the fans, so it would be nice to have a guide to do this safely.

Sorry man, no can do on my end, These pics were taken during a warranty service, I wouldn't want to jeopardize my warranty not to mention that sounds like a ton of work hehe. Perhaps some other kind soul can do a tear down video.

I am working on cleaning up an English translation from a good guide supertoad did, it will probably be done a bit later though as I didn't have the time this weekend I thought I would to edit it.

JerJer123
06-01-2015, 07:01 AM
Sorry man, no can do on my end, These pics were taken during a warranty service, I wouldn't want to jeopardise my warranty not to mention that sounds like a ton of work hehe. Perhaps some other kind sole can do a tear down video.

I am working on cleaning up an English translation from a good guide supertoad did, it will probably be done a bit later though as I didn't have the time this weekend I thought I would to edit it.

No worries. Thanks for the response :)

duttyfoot
06-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the tip, between your post and this one http://portables4gamers.com/forum/topic/25112-tuto-d%C3%A9monter-compl%C3%A8tement-son-g751/
i was able to pull it down. I have been pulling these down since Gen1 and they aren't that much different except for the battery. I found a screw in the system that was
just laying around above the hole it belongs in lol, i guess they missed it. the other thing i noticed is a connector that was free and i assume its fora speaker, can anyone confirm

joshindaphils
06-03-2015, 09:44 PM
That wire is for the sub. If you follow it, it goes straight into the sub assembly.

That is actually the guide I am rewriting the English translation of. The author has been kind enough to do the initial translation for me to edit. I should get it back to him in a week or so, then he can post it for everyone's benefit. Just been too busy lately...

AQUASTEVAE
06-05-2015, 06:41 PM
there is a part of me, that is very pissed off that i bought another asus notebook. and when i see things like this, where you have to disassemble almost the entire notebook just to clean the fans, it's like pouring fuel on the fire. i have seen several notebooks where you have access to almost all of the components you might need to change or adjust, and even the fans for cleaning. but asus's actions continue to say, "screw you customers", and we keep buying their products like idiots. if the g751jy wasn't so cool looking on the outside, i would never have bought it. i was leaning towards the msi, and allowed myself to be sidetracked by looks. i should have stuck with my initial feelings.

Edweird
06-05-2015, 07:29 PM
No, you shouldn't have. Remember the part about the better cooling? Being a closed compartment design helps the G751JY stay cooler than anything MSI offers. I miss the easy to access fan on my N61, too, but I think the one-piece top and keyboard make for a better build. It probably saves $$$ too.

joshindaphils
06-05-2015, 11:41 PM
The need for a tear-down was a known quantity before the laptop was available to purchase... while inconvenient vs. other designs the full tear-down is actually very easy compared to most all other laptops I've done it on.

Being a very friendly laptop to work on I consider that as an even trade if not an outright bonus for having to do the full tear-down for a clean.

AQUASTEVAE
06-06-2015, 06:02 AM
both good points, and something to think about. well, done is done and this is what i have. my rant is more about asus than the actual tear down. just tired of them being so apathetic to their own customers. terrible customer service, always, and rarely good upgraded drivers. but i shouldn't talk smack about the notebook, as it is pretty much rock solid.

PrincessSubWoof
09-20-2015, 07:07 PM
thank you for posting pics i tryed to find a video and i couldn't find any i just got mine but im happy to know how to take it apart enough to at least clean the fans when i need to.

toronto699
09-20-2015, 07:40 PM
hope this helps

joshindaphils
09-21-2015, 03:54 AM
hope this helps

Thanks for the link toronto699 I'll update the OP.

escha
09-21-2015, 12:27 PM
most detailed i've found
http://portables4gamers.com/forum/topic/25112-tuto-d%C3%A9monter-compl%C3%A8tement-son-g751/

adem89
02-22-2016, 09:58 PM
i try it at first in english:
i want to change the paste for more cooling. but i thought i can place 2 leds at the backside of the laptop, where the fans blowing up.
red leds. is that possible, that i can take same energy of the system?

auf deutsch^^ verdammt ist mein englisch beschissen.
würde gerne die Wärmeleitpaste wechseln und da ich dann sowieso alles zerlege, dachte ich mir, dass ich hinten an den Lüftungsgittern 2 leds platziere.
Meint ihr das wäre möglich?

joshindaphils
02-23-2016, 03:38 PM
i try it at first in english:
i want to change the paste for more cooling. but i thought i can place 2 leds at the backside of the laptop, where the fans blowing up.
red leds. is that possible, that i can take same energy of the system?

auf deutsch^^ verdammt ist mein englisch beschissen.
würde gerne die Wärmeleitpaste wechseln und da ich dann sowieso alles zerlege, dachte ich mir, dass ich hinten an den Lüftungsgittern 2 leds platziere.
Meint ihr das wäre möglich?

Yes here is an example of how you can do it: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-a-USB-Powered-LED-Light/

I've not ran the resister values to ensure it would be ideal, and the LEDs and configuration of the wiring would play a factor as well.

USB power is available internally as well as a myriad of other power sources. But honestly if you have to ask here, I would suggest that you do not do the work yourself, and get someone else to do it. Otherwise I suggest doing some research and learn some new skills.

Alternatively you may get more assistance starting your own thread on the matter here, this is because your post is outside of the scope of the thread (G751 disassembly),

mpgioia
06-07-2018, 05:35 AM
Here ya go there is another visible in the initial photo drop. Could give you a better perspective of where it is located if this is zoomed in too tight for you.

@joshindaphils, I know a. i'm coming to this like 3 years later, and b. this is somewhat outside the scope of G751JY disassembly.. but the CMOS battery.. from a technical standpoint. ... 'resetting' this.. as the tech talk states in common troubleshooting.. would be simply unplugging it for a period of 5 to 10 minutes ?
Does anyone else know ?

joshindaphils
08-06-2018, 04:12 AM
Generally 30 seconds is considered very safe. It should loose any stored values almost instantly after not being powered.

@joshindaphils, I know a. i'm coming to this like 3 years later, and b. this is somewhat outside the scope of G751JY disassembly.. but the CMOS battery.. from a technical standpoint. ... 'resetting' this.. as the tech talk states in common troubleshooting.. would be simply unplugging it for a period of 5 to 10 minutes ?
Does anyone else know ?