PDA

View Full Version : Asus G53 freeze/kernel/black screen.

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Just made an account here because I can't get an answer/ figure it out for my self.

I've had my g53 (2630qm/750gbHDD/8gb/460m/1080p) since June. I fisrt had problems installing drivers and what not. Compatibility issues where nvidia couldn't detect the hardware. But I fix'd that and now any new driver will install. Also had a problem where my power button would turn on the lapper but I got that fixd through Asus.

Anyways, my problem is, just roughly 2 weeks ago, my computer brightness would crank out to the max and a prompt would come up and say "285.62 has crashed, restored in kernel mode" or something along those lines. Then sometimes when I turn on my computer, the keyboard lights up, hdd start spinning but the backlight for the monitor doesn't turn on. And if I hit the power button again, it instantly turns off.

Also my computer would lag on a web browser or just watching a video. I've read the sticky for the atheros update and im doing that now but if that doesn't fix my kernel problem, what do I do? Should I use driver sweeper? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information, just let me know.

Thanks.

Slaughtahouse

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 12:35 AM
BTW, I just finish the atheros update. Browser seems to load faster and video's havent sent my computer into kernel mode... yet. I'll keep testing things out.

JRd1st
11-17-2011, 12:55 AM
That's what I've been saying for weeks. :D

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 12:58 AM
"That's what I've been saying for week." ? Im sorry, I don't understand. Are you having similar problems? Or are you telling other people the solution is just the atheros driver?

JRd1st
11-17-2011, 01:08 AM
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 01:20 AM
Yea I know. I said I read the sticky and I was working on that while I was posting. But as i'm writing this message, well wrote, I turned on skyrim and my driver crashed. The screen brightness cranked up again to the max. This doesn't make any sense. I rolled back to 275.33, I went to the current driver and the new beta driver. Multiple times and re installing them on moday this week. They still crash. All started around when I was playing BF3 with 285.62 or w/e its called 2 weeks ago. Ever since then my laptop driver crashes and goes into kernel mode sporadically

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 01:30 AM
I have an idea. Im gonna try rolling back to the driver that Asus reccomends on there support website.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G53SW&p=3&s=282&os=30&hashedid=G6mnE1WGzWUBqosT

Which is 267.21. See if that helps. But say it doesn't, would useing driver sweeper fix my problems? I've never used it before and it's seems a little complex.

JRd1st
11-17-2011, 01:31 AM
I think your GPU may be failing due to heat. A repaste may help, but I think the GPU is going to die, eventually.

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 01:38 AM
What makes you say that?

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Doing tests with cpu monitor under stress, my 460 usually doesn't get above 75 degrees, so I don't think that would be the problem. Also like to mention that games still work. I can play skyrim for hours, and have done so far. It's just sometimes booting up or sometimes I get the popup saying it went to kernel mode. My games haven't froze in a while

JRd1st
11-17-2011, 02:00 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood your symptoms. Maybe it's just the driver. There are a lot of reports, lately.

I liked 285.64 and 285.79

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 02:34 AM
.64 was the first one to crash. So then I went to .79 and I had the same problem. Just today though, I rolled all the way back to 267.21 offered on the Asus support website. So far it seems to help but I need to give it a few days to see if the problems persist. Plus I don't think this driver is compatible with BF3.

That's why I was asking about sweeper. I've never used it before. Does it help with kernel crashes or are you not to sure? Also when I googled this problem, and someone was having the same symptoms.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/613408-asus-g73sw-booting-up-no-display-screen-2.html

"Hello!
I think i have the same problem... I bought an ASUS G73SW 21 days ago... The first days i didn't had any problem with the LCD, but since i plugged the notebook to my LG HD TV (maybe coincidence...), now, randomly when i boot up the notebook, or when i wake it up from suspension, i get a black screen... and the only solution is to power it off with the power button. And then the windows starts normally.
When the blackscreen appears from a fresh start of the notebook, i hear the windows starting, but from the very "power on" the LCD is just black, and then i just turn it off and on to start windows normally.
I contacted ASUS and they don't have a clue, lol, what surprise, now its in my hands to ask for the RMA, but i would like to know if someone have any solution for that..."

but the thread hasn't been updated in a few weeks.

dstrakele
11-17-2011, 05:01 AM
... The first days i didn't had any problem with the LCD, but since i plugged the notebook to my LG HD TV (maybe coincidence...), now, randomly when i boot up the notebook, or when i wake it up from suspension, i get a black screen... and the only solution is to power it off with the power button. And then the windows starts normally.
When the blackscreen appears from a fresh start of the notebook, i hear the windows starting, but from the very "power on" the LCD is just black, and then i just turn it off and on to start windows normally.

I've connected my G74SX-A1 to my LCD TV using the VGA port and configured it as an extended desktop. This resulted in behavior I did not expect. When booting, the ASUS Splash Screen displays on the TV, even though my laptop LCD is configured (and will identify) as the main screen. My laptop LCD remains black until Windows launches. When this first occurred, I did not have the TV on and thought I was booting into a black screen. I've wondered if some other people are getting both the splash screen and Windows displayed on the TV, but do not have the TV on and see just a black screen on the laptop LCD. Although one would think they'd eventually see the empty desktop wallpaper.

I've also had the experience where after installing a driver, all the desktop icons appearred on the TV, rather than on my laptop LCD. I fixed it with a quick configuration change, but was surprised that the swap occurred in the first place.

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Now it's thursday morning. I pressed the power button while just using the battery and the screen didn't light up. So I went to take a shower, came back and plugged it in to the ac adapter. When I hit the power button, it booted like normal.

Now im starting to think this isn't a driver problem.

And about the comment above, the black screen is just the initial boot up. Everything goes up but the back light for the screen doesn't. Im not connected to any external tv's or monitors when im doing this, though I do connect to my tv sometimes when playing a game.

JRd1st
11-17-2011, 12:14 PM
I think it's either the display or the board that powers/dims the leds. They used to call it the inverter when they used fluorescent tubes instead of leds. If it's repeatable send it for RMA or bring it to your reseller if you still can.

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Well just before I left this morning, I went to windows update and updated my computer. Which I haven't done for months because they never used to work. I'll see if that helps.

What im really curious is to find out if the boot problem is related to the driver crashing.

That's the big mystery here. Is it one hardware problem effecting and causing these things. Or is it a few unrelated software problems.

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 05:27 PM
I just found this, http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800&hl=nvlddmkm

reading it now.

JRd1st
11-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks, just bookmarked that. :D

You can turn TDR off http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-vista-7/91283-turning-off-tdr.html

I may do that to see what happens.

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Ok so within the last few hours, a lot went down. At first I found a guide to wipe my drivers clean, all was going well until I had to completely delete my drivers. After I did that, my screen went completely black. The problem was it wasn't loading the integrated card (cpu card) or w.e it is. Basically I was screwed. Turn it off, back on. Nothing. My friend thought he knew what to do so I drove to his house. We couldn't do anything because we couldnt get to the bios menu. But for some reason, I plugged in an ethernet cable because I thought maybe I could access my harddrive through his computer. I don't know if that makes anysense... but anyways, it turned on!

The computer loaded off the integrated card and I clean installed 285.73 or w/e the latest beta driver is. Re booted and everything went smoothly. I watchd video's, played skyrim, browsed, and everything is working. No crashes. It's only been a few hours but it looks promising.

So what im thinking that the problem is some how related to that cpu card or the drivers for that card. Because that would explain why when I booted my laptop, the screen was black. That card couldn't load up the ASUS logo and all that.

I don't know if the driver clean up job fixed the problem permanently, but im making good progress.

Cjbbruns1
11-17-2011, 11:37 PM
This seems similar to the black screen problems in my thread, although I have a radeon 5870. Glad yours may be fixed though.

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Do you get black screens while running? Or just on the bootup? Because I haven't had that problem while mid run. Only problem I was having while I was on my lapper is just a popup saying that its going into kernel mode and a few times mid game, it froze.

Cjbbruns1
11-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Just on bootup now. I can log into windows blindly, still can't get a display on screen or external monitor. I'm rma'ing on Monday though.

Slaughtahouse
11-17-2011, 11:51 PM
I know this doesnt sound like good advice and I dont even recommned u try it but a quick fix I found was to unplug the laptop or take out the battery about 5 seconds after you booted it up. Again, do this at your own risk. Then it should turn on properly.

I only tried this because this is my only means of connecting online and I need this computer for school. If I had another pc or a phone that had a broswer, I probably wouldn't be ****ing around like I am.

Cjbbruns1
11-17-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm too scared to try that one haha. Thanks though.

Slaughtahouse
11-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Maybe you can try getting an update driver for that integrated motherboard/cpu card? You said that you really can't do anything without being blind. So m not sure how to help you out. But I think, again this is just me thinking, that the problems are related to the integrated card.

Though I have no way of confirming this or providing legitimate evidence.

Cjbbruns1
11-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Yeah. I really have no idea. I'm just going to send it in I guess. Don't want to make it worse.

Slaughtahouse
11-18-2011, 01:31 AM
If your gonna send it in, you mine as well try. It's not like your laptop is going to explode. I know how you feel, i've been having the same problems you have. Just see if this brings back the light lol

Slaughtahouse
11-18-2011, 11:05 AM
So just posting to keep the thread up to date.

It's been about 12 hours since I did my "fix".

No kernel's so far. No web browser lag. No crashing mid game.

Best of all, i've booted my laptop about 3-4 times so far and no black screens.

Slaughtahouse
11-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Ahh... here we go again. A few times on bootup, it didn't load.

I think I fixed all the kernel crashes and lag and all that jazz. But its starting up the damn thing. Still looking for fixes. If anyone has idea's or has experienced this before, please post.

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 07:30 PM
I know this doesnt sound like good advice and I dont even recommned u try it but a quick fix I found was to unplug the laptop or take out the battery about 5 seconds after you booted it up. Again, do this at your own risk. Then it should turn on properly.

I only tried this because this is my only means of connecting online and I need this computer for school. If I had another pc or a phone that had a broswer, I probably wouldn't be ****ing around like I am.

This was the fix that worked? That's amazing! I never think to try something like that.....! :)

But since the problem is back.....are you thinking this is a video driver problem?

Slaughtahouse
11-18-2011, 09:46 PM
No that doesnt fix the problem. That will just let you boot up the pc without getting a black screen.

Thing is, I had multiple problems. I fixed my kernel crashes and lag with a clean driver install. I still get the black screen boot every 3-4 boots. So after the computer starts up for about 5 seconds, I pull the battery. I know it isn't the best thing, but it's all I can do for now.

Slaughtahouse
11-20-2011, 03:14 AM
Btw just keeping this thread up to date. Haven't had the black screen in a few days. Wonder why? But im happy none the less.

rachcn
12-26-2011, 11:00 PM
my one can not power up,any one tell me how and where to fix

BrodyBoy
12-27-2011, 01:18 AM
my one can not power up,any one tell me how and where to fix
Do any of the lights come on at all?

kalist0
12-27-2011, 05:19 AM
Ahh... here we go again. A few times on bootup, it didn't load.

I think I fixed all the kernel crashes and lag and all that jazz. But its starting up the damn thing. Still looking for fixes. If anyone has idea's or has experienced this before, please post.

hahaha dint know that so many people had this problem. for my case, my laptop starts up as usual BUT no screen from the very start, not even the ASUS word. the only solution i have is remove battery and unplug, then press power button for 30 seconds and switch it on again. YET, this doesnt work EVERY time lol. previously it happened once in a blue moon but now it happens 4 out of 5 times everytime i switch off my laptop.