PDA

View Full Version : SSD recommendation

thegreatest
11-17-2011, 02:32 AM
Can anyone recommend a good SSD for me? I'm looking for it to be at least 60GB and don't want to spend more than around $200. Less if possible.

I'm probably just going to use it as a boot drive so does anyone have any suggestions on moving my OS over or will I have to do a clean install?

BrodyBoy
11-17-2011, 04:08 AM
Can anyone recommend a good SSD for me? I'm looking for it to be at least 60GB and don't want to spend more than around $200. Less if possible.

I'm probably just going to use it as a boot drive so does anyone have any suggestions on moving my OS over or will I have to do a clean install?
Intel, Crucial, OCZ, Kinston...they all seem to be good. I've used Crucial and Intel without issues.

You can move your existing Windows installation onto the new drive, or do a clean install if you want. No problem either way.

thegreatest
11-17-2011, 04:23 AM
If I do a clean install on the SSD will I lose all of the data on the other hard drive? Or can I do a clean install on the SSD and then just remove the OS from the HDD without losing any files?

Also, what kind of SSD do I need? 2.5" SATA 2?

BrodyBoy
11-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Oh no, not at all. Everything on the second drive is safe. And you can move anything that's important from your existing OS drive (from that whole disc, actually....in case it has other partitions on it), you can move anything over to that second disc for safekeeping. Once you have the new Windows installation on the SSD, you'd just set up your library associations and program "save" locations to the other hard drive.

I think all SSDs are 2.5", so that's not a choice you need to worry about. The G74 does support SATA 3.0, so you can use either standard. You mentioned in your first post that you're shooting for ~60Gb or more. I would set the lower limit a little higher///ay least 80Gb. Chances are, it'll never be a problem, but if you eventually add a lot of big programs (an Office suite, a bunch of games, etc.), you could start feeling a little squeezed at 60Gb.

thegreatest
11-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Well I'll have the other 500gb hard drive in the laptop and 1TB external so I don't really need the space. It's mostly for boot times and maybe a game or 2's loading times.

So all I have to do is install Windows 7 on the SSD and then remove it from the current HDD and all of my files will be safe on the current HDD? Thanks for the help.

Kipper
11-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Look closely at the specs of the SSD you buy; the majority are 2.5" but they are also available in 1.8 and 3.5"

Get the most GB that you can afford, the bigger the SSD the better the performance all around.

From what I am reading in your posts you will have to reinstall your programs again but you can change the install directory to the spinning drive.

What I did was backup all of my important files and wipe the second spinner in my G74 and then remove the OS drive and installed my Crucial M4 and did a clean install.

I would recommend that you download and secure all of the drivers that you will need once the install is complete so you wont have to hunt them down later.

ScottinSoCal
11-18-2011, 12:21 AM
I'm getting a Samsung SSD. They seem to have had the best history in enterprise environments (where they see constant use) and I'm hopeful that will mean a good, solid, reliable drive. Newegg has the 128GB for $199 right now for SATA II, or $229 for SATA III.

ScottinSoCal
11-18-2011, 12:23 AM
You can move your existing Windows installation onto the new drive, or do a clean install if you want. No problem either way.

Be aware that if you clone your existing drive, you'll need to adjust the partition to get the best performance from your SSD. The partition has to be lined up properly on the SSD or you'll get up to a 50% performance hit.

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Well I'll have the other 500gb hard drive in the laptop and 1TB external so I don't really need the space. It's mostly for boot times and maybe a game or 2's loading times.

So all I have to do is install Windows 7 on the SSD and then remove it from the current HDD and all of my files will be safe on the current HDD? Thanks for the help.
OKay.....if you know you're not installing a ton of programs, you can probably get by with something in the 60-64Gb range. There are lots of good, affordable options at that size.

Again, you can do a fresh Windows installation on the new SSD. In that case, you also re-install your programs, but your data is all over on the other hard drive. On the other hand, if you decide to clone your existing installation, Windows and the programs already installed on your C: drive will be copied onto the SSD.

thegreatest
11-18-2011, 01:12 AM
OKay.....if you know you're not installing a ton of programs, you can probably get by with something in the 60-64Gb range. There are lots of good, affordable options at that size.

Again, you can do a fresh Windows installation on the new SSD. In that case, you also re-install your programs, but your data is all over on the other hard drive. On the other hand, if you decide to clone your existing installation, Windows and the programs already installed on your C: drive will be copied onto the SSD.

Ok that makes sense. I'll have to reinstall all of my programs but I will still have all of the data on my current hard drive after I take the OS off, correct? Thanks for the help everyone.

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 02:17 AM
Ok that makes sense. I'll have to reinstall all of my programs but I will still have all of the data on my current hard drive after I take the OS off, correct? Thanks for the help everyone.
Yes, anything already on the secondary drive will be left untouched. (You do mean the other drive....right?)

Do keep in mind that programs' settings, configurations, and other internal data is usually kept on the OS drive. So if you reinstall a program....let's say iTunes, for example.....you'll have to set up your preferences and music library associations again, even though your actual music has been unmoved and untouched over on the other hard drive.

thegreatest
11-18-2011, 02:21 AM
I have 1 HD right now. Does that make a difference?

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 02:30 AM
Okay, just to be clear:

You currently have one hard drive that holds both your OS and data
You want to add an SSD as your OS drive and re-task your existing hard drive as a data-only drive
You want to do a clean Windows installation on the SSD

Correct me if any of those assumptions are wrong. If that's your situation, I would add some further recommendations for (what will become) the secondary drive.

thegreatest
11-18-2011, 02:34 AM
That sounds right

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 02:45 AM
Having another Windows installations on your secondary drive has a couple undesirable consequences: (1) You can end up with an unintentional dual-boot system if the old Windows installation remains active.....it's not harmful but it's messy, and (2) having an unused Windows installation on your data drive IS just plain messy. ;)

At some point in setting up your new configuration, I'd clean up the old drive. It would help my OCD, at least, to know that your data drive is neatly organized into data-only partitions! :)

thegreatest
11-18-2011, 02:51 AM
That's what I'm planning on doing. I don't want an OS on my data drive. I was just trying to get the best way to remove it. I'd like to keep my game files, saves, programs, etc.

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 03:10 AM
OKay, no problem. You can get all that cleaned up later, after the new drive is installed and configured. Let's get back to that when the time comes..... :)

thegreatest
11-18-2011, 04:07 AM
OKay, no problem. You can get all that cleaned up later, after the new drive is installed and configured. Let's get back to that when the time comes..... :)

Ok cool thanks a lot for the help. It may be a little bit until I get it (Black Friday or Christmas time). I'll be sure to PM you when the time comes. Thanks again.

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 05:32 AM
Ok cool thanks a lot for the help. It may be a little bit until I get it (Black Friday or Christmas time). I'll be sure to PM you when the time comes. Thanks again.
Sounds good. :)

-Ontic-
11-18-2011, 05:14 PM
There are some great deals to be had on OCZ Agility 3 drives right now. I picked up a 240GB for 350usd after a rebate. The speed difference is impressive IMO.

The Agility 3 is essentially the same as Vertex 3 drive with different memory chips. There are other minor differences that would not IMO ever be noticable in realworld applications though (Agility uses 2x 8 chips, Vertex uses 1x8).

Always ensure you update your drives firmware PRIOR to install. You can not update after it is in use most cases !

Verruckt
11-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Doing good with my OCZ Vertex 3 @ my G53SX.